Pioneer to Big Bear - 2N02 - Doable in AWD crossover?

• HTML tutorial

Mrcodes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California 92807, United States
First Name
Cody
Last Name
H
Member #

Is this trail doable in a Mazda CX9 with 10" clearance and AT tires?
Yes. It is a relatively easy trek. Clearance won’t be an issue and if you have faith in the tires you will be good. It is 95% dirt road with a small rock (no boulders or big obstacles) section that if you take your time you will be fine. The biggest worry out there is the guys going 100mph around blind corners on dirt bikes and Polaris Rzrs. Enjoy the scenery!

Ark

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego
First Name
Ark
Last Name
Ark
Thank you! I'm probably going to take a mid-week day off to avoid as much trail traffic as possible and give it a go.

Ark

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego
First Name
Ark
Last Name
Ark
Man, that was pretty rough. There were sections where the recent rains exposed a lot of rocks or made deep cuts in the softer soil. @Mrcodes the shovel was crucial and saved my butt! It was the first time taking the CX9 offroad and she made it out relatively unscathed.

Attachments

Mrcodes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California 92807, United States
First Name
Cody
Last Name
H
Member #

Man, that was pretty rough. There were sections where the recent rains exposed a lot of rocks or made deep cuts in the softer soil. @Mrcodes the shovel was crucial and saved my butt! It was the first time taking the CX9 offroad and she made it out relatively unscathed.
Looks fun! Rain always changes things and adds a whole new level of surprise to the trail sometimes… glad the shovel helped! I’ve gotten myself unstuck with my shovel more times than I can count and i use it way more than the expensive “off-road” recovery gear. Now you are finding your limit to explore other trails! Happy hunting

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Good job Ark! That looks like a fun run. A shovel and a kinetic rope and being able to air up and down will get father than most think. I don't carry traction pads, I can usually get unstuck with a shovel and airing down about as quick. Something else you learned is advice is only good if it's from after the last storm. Have fun learning what you can do with your Mazda.

Reactions: Ark

Ark

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego
First Name
Ark
Last Name
Ark
Good job Ark! That looks like a fun run. A shovel and a kinetic rope and being able to air up and down will get father than most think. I don't carry traction pads, I can usually get unstuck with a shovel and airing down about as quick. Something else you learned is advice is only good if it's from after the last storm. Have fun learning what you can do with your Mazda.
Absolutely true, the trail was NOT like the videos I watched from a year ago. Time to find the next adventure.