Phone applications which record GPX tracks, which can then be exported?

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
One of the reasons we use a GPS unit is to record GPX files which we download for sharing and future reference.

I've learned that there are now phone applications which record GPX tracks which can be exported, so I’m looking into whether one of these could replace the GPS unit on an upcoming trip on which we need to reduce kit to an absolute minimum. It’s neither practical nor affordable to take our own vehicle, and some of the time we’ll essentially be backpacking, but we’ll rent vehicles for some areas and would like to capture the tracks.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who is using one of these applications: easy to use? Captures tracks efficiently? Easy to download GPX files? Any other thoughts?

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have used GAIA gps App in the past for recording GPXs and it worked fine. Even when backpacking I still carry a separate GPS device for recording tracks. Honestly the space saving is that much and you don't have to worry about the phone sucking down as much battery due recording the gpx

Reactions: Alanymarce

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I have used GAIA gps App in the past for recording GPXs and it worked fine. Even when backpacking I still carry a separate GPS device for recording tracks. Honestly the space saving is that much and you don't have to worry about the phone sucking down as much battery due recording the gpx
Thank you. I have Gaia on the phone - I guess I need to find out how to use it... : )

On space, it's not much, as you say, however we need to get down to no more than 13 Kg for 12 months, so every little helps...