Doc Foster

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Frederick, MD
First Name
JAY
Last Name
FOSTER
For the last several years, my wife and I explore (mostly Four Corners states) for Native American Petroglyphs & Pictograph, and Native American ruins. This search often takes us into some pretty remote location. Often we are the only ones on the backcountry road and/or trails. Also visit sites of old forts, abandoned mines,pony express stations, etc. Anything historical. Anyone else out there searching for rock art?

Doc Foster

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Frederick, MD
First Name
JAY
Last Name
FOSTER
Very cool. Had planned to visit Big Bend this summer but it was pretty much closed down when I wanted to go. We have visited just about all of the rock art sites in Moab. This year we headed North up into WY and Northern/Central UT instead.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

For the last several years, my wife and I explore (mostly Four Corners states) for Native American Petroglyphs & Pictograph, and Native American ruins. This search often takes us into some pretty remote location. Often we are the only ones on the backcountry road and/or trails. Also visit sites of old forts, abandoned mines,pony express stations, etc. Anything historical. Anyone else out there searching for rock art?
We are also into exploring. Here is a large stone at the bottom of Fontana Lake in The Smoky Mtn, N.P. You can only see it when the drop the water level in the late fall. Dozens of ruins of homesteads thru Park, just really hard to get to. A0E20729-450B-4068-983D-D6C9ED9E1967.jpegB35CCEC4-5A14-4098-9302-5EF51543336F.jpegD8727F5E-BB28-42C2-A5B5-32C0AA9F6D21.jpeg Grave of one of the first Settlers.6B9B47FC-712D-44B4-9515-FDCCFFCEFF98.jpeg

Last edited:

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Very cool. Had planned to visit Big Bend this summer but it was pretty much closed down when I wanted to go. We have visited just about all of the rock art sites in Moab. This year we headed North up into WY and Northern/Central UT instead.
That's awesome. My wife and I just got back from WY and UT. Big Bend is best in the spring. All the flowers are blooming and the weather is great. Check out Christmas Mountain when you go. You can get the gate key for free from Terlingua Ranch Lodge, tell Bill Tommy sent ya.
1599000415158.png1599000467531.png
1599000374768.png
1599000003061.png1599000279128.png1599000305414.png1599000656991.png

Doc Foster

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Frederick, MD
First Name
JAY
Last Name
FOSTER
That's awesome. My wife and I just got back from WY and UT. Big Bend is best in the spring. All the flowers are blooming and the weather is great. Check out Christmas Mountain when you go. You can get the gate key for free from Terlingua Ranch Lodge, tell Bill Tommy sent ya.
View attachment 169045View attachment 169046
View attachment 169044
View attachment 169037View attachment 169042View attachment 169043View attachment 169047
Wow! Are all of those in the Christmas Mountains? I love the shots of the dog and the Tacoma. Can you be a bit more specific on their location? I will have to add this area to my bucket list. I hope to get out there in Spring time in the next couple of years. I spent a couple of days in Big Bend NP back in the 1990's and yearn to return.

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Wow! Are all of those in the Christmas Mountains? I love the shots of the dog and the Tacoma. Can you be a bit more specific on their location? I will have to add this area to my bucket list. I hope to get out there in Spring time in the next couple of years. I spent a couple of days in Big Bend NP back in the 1990's and yearn to return.
Those are of Christmas Mountain.
Christmas Mountains Texas 79852 Christmas Mountains

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Let me know when you plan on going and I can meet you out there and show you around. There are a lot of really neat secret places to see. There is a park resort that was being built but the damm broke and they abandoned the project. The damm is still there.20200307_115723.jpg

Reactions: mwilson920

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Three Rivers Petroglyph Site also a nice place to camp. the more remote camping is closed after the fires but the RV spots at the Glyphs are still open

Attachments

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Something I've wondered for awhile, just how do we know that a lot of this art wasn't graffiti of the day, much like the side of most railroad cars today?
I think it would be quite hilarious to find out a bunch of highly educated scholars were duped into thinking there was some deep mystical meaning behind these petroglyphs and pictographs when in reality it was teenagers of the day being creative.

Reactions: Jhop567

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Something I've wondered for awhile, just how do we know that a lot of this art wasn't graffiti of the day, much like the side of most railroad cars today?
I think it would be quite hilarious to find out a bunch of highly educated scholars were duped into thinking there was some deep mystical meaning behind these petroglyphs and pictographs when in reality it was teenagers of the day being creative.
Much of it actually is. Especially in the Roman ruins.

Reactions: John Bishop

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

These were taken at the Mazinaw Rock in the Bon Echo Provincial Park in Ontario. There are more than 250 pictographs and the area is designated as a national historic site of Canada. I'm at the bottom of the rock (obviously) and it goes straight up about 30m above me.

Along with the pictographs there is a carving to commemorate American poet Walt Whitman who was a frequent visitor to the long gone lodge that was across the lake from the rock. He was mainstay of the "Walt Whitman Club" which was founded in his honour. In 1919, 100 years after his birth, a carving was made into the rock face with the message below. I'm not sure how they went about it then but today no doubt an environmental impact study would be required and the likely answer would be "NO". You can still clearly make out the entire carving when you are close to it.

These pics were taken in 2019 which was 100 years after the carving was made.

19-07-03 10.jpg19-07-03 11.jpgW1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzNjMGM0YzVjZjVlMGMyNzUzMF9Cb25fRWNob18tX09sZF9XYWx0LnBuZy...png