Enthusiast I

Pontotoc, MS, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Spurr
Member #

Guys,
We are planning a week in New Mexico at the end of December.
We are going to start in the Northern areas, and work our way South.
We are trying to plan our trip and stops, but we are finding a lot of the areas are not dog friendly.
Anyone have any ideas or areas that allow pets?
We dont leave home without the little guy, and really want to find some cool places to go.
Thanks in advance.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Just seeing your post. Hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm not too familiar with pet friend places, though I see people with their pets constantly down here. I'm in the Alamogordo/Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area. Cloudcroft and Ruidoso are some beautiful places to explore (if you're in Cloudcroft for lunch, and they're open, you should definitely stop at Mad Jack'ss BBQ).

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
What kind of places are you looking for? Hotels? Campgrounds? Hiking? I am in the ABQ metro area and have four dogs. I travel quite a bit with my little terrier sitting on my console. Post up what types of pet access you are looking for and I will help if I can. Sorry, I just saw this post as well.

4eye4valve

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pontotoc, MS, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Spurr
Member #

Thanks for the reply guys.
We are looking for outdoor recreational type places that will be ok with our shnauzer.
We tried checking and a lot of the things we found dont allow dogs. So kinda looking for the out of the way road less traveled kinda places to explore.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Not sure which part of the north you are going to explore, but here are some suggestions:
1. The Enchanted Circle is a beautiful drive through Taos, Red River, Eagle Nest, and Angel Fire. Although it may be difficult to bring dogs into some businesses, most of these areas are pretty dog friendly. The Taos Gorge Bridge is a must-see.
2. There are a ton of hiking trails near and around Santa Fe and Pecos. The Sangre de Cristo mountains and the Pecos wilderness offer beautiful areas to hike and I've always taken my pups into the mountains for some running around.
3. The area around Georgia O'Keeffe's home near Abiquiu is stunning. Her home, which is open to the public and the museum in Santa Fe would be off-limits to pups, but driving around this beautiful area is worth the trip. There are rivers and hills for hiking.
4. The Jemez Mountains are amazing for hiking and just sight seeing. There are also natural hot springs above the Battleship Rock campgrounds. The Gilman Tunnels, the Valle Caldera National Monument, Fenton Lake State Park, Jemez Falls, and the Jemez Hot Springs (different than the previous mention) are all worth checking out. This is national forest, so pups always welcome. The Valles Caldera doesn't allow dogs in back country, but the vistas in this area are spectacular.
5. The Rio Grande Bosque (river forest) in the Albuquerque metro area offers paved and dirt trails through the wooded area along the Rio Grande. Nice, secluded, and beautiful.
6. The Sandia and Monzano mountains east of ALBQ offer incredible outdoor and hiking activities, including the La Luz trail up the west-facing slope above the city. About 9-miles of difficult terrain, but well worth it.
7. The Town of Madrid (pronounced "Mad-Drid" so you sound like a local) is a cute little artist community that was born from an old mining town. It is between ABQ and SF. Nice drive, great shops and restaurants. Pretty dog friendly town as well (maybe not in restaurants...)

Although mostly outdoors type stuff, I hope this helps give you some ideas.

Reactions: John~SWNM

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
Sorry I know this is too late but one of my favorite dog parks in the country is in Santa Fe. Frank S Ortiz Dog Park. Its FN huge. Not a bad place to go for a hike without having to have the dog on a leash.
Santa Fe seemed to be semi dog friendly. I didnt have any trouble walking around town with my rottweiler. Didnt take him into any establishments though.
If you're ever in the Santa Fe area again check out that dog park but bring a jug of water. Theres no faucets.