Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

I will admit I do watch too much YouTube. I have an Alu-Cab Canopy on my Tacoma. I have yet to get my rig leveled perfectly when setting up. I just eyeball it as best I can, choosing to err on having my head higher just a bit if necessary. Is there any reason to be more accurate in my setup?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Even if one is off several degrees I have never been uncomfortable in my RTT. I keep a couple of folding recovery ramps to get it close if it is off much. Good thing about the Tacoma is that they are easy to maneuver around to get close to level in most sites. You're right about keeping your head a little raised. I can get cross-ways or whatever in my RTT to be comfortable. Then again, I'm not that particular about being perfectly level anymore.

Reactions: DirtySox

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Pro tip, you can raise the front of the truck by turning your steering wheel.

Reactions: scotman623

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Been a bit off kilter a few times in my teardrop trailer, but never enough to inadvertently roll out of bed, so I put that in the “win” category. In all seriousness, one thing that helped was a little adhesive-backed, two way leveling bubble (T shaped) that I mounted onto my trailer. I can see if I’m off level. I also keep a couple short lengths of 2”x6” boards if my campsite is really wonky. Just roll a wheel up onto one for a lift. Less expensive than a fancy leveling kit.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I will admit I do watch too much YouTube. I have an Alu-Cab Canopy on my Tacoma. I have yet to get my rig leveled perfectly when setting up. I just eyeball it as best I can, choosing to err on having my head higher just a bit if necessary. Is there any reason to be more accurate in my setup?
I just eye-ball it before I pop the FWC up. Once I'm inside I can really "feel" if it needs fine-tuning and I'll use the air-bags on the truck (rear-only, but setup to be controllable individually). Still, I'm just going for "good 'nough".

-TJ

Last edited:

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Initially we used our iPhone by placing it on the van's floor. The compass app has a built in level, used to have to swipe but now it's built into the compass itself. We later purchased a bullseye level as different phone cases would skew the level app. We like to be close to perfect but that's because we don't like having to crawl under the couch to retrieve things that roll under it. We too prefer to be head up so normally the rear of the van is a click high. Both the iPhone compass or the bullseye level make it easy to see where any blocks need to go, again, we can place it on the floor of the van so that is why it's so useful.