Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Let me start off by saying I'm by no means a photographer but I'd like to share a quick weekend trip I recently took to Parvin State Park in South Jersey. Parvin S.P. was a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) site with much more history that can be found here;
https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/parvin-state-park-and-ccc-camp-pittsgrove-nj/
While it's certainly not an "Overlanding Destination", it proved perfect for a quick getaway complete with an unexpected guest.
So, 10 days before Easter & a coworker tells me he found a dog, took it to the shelter, the shelter's full & that he's fostering it (I later find out that's a made up story). The day before Good Friday he tells me he has to go out of town & asks if I could watch the dog. "Sure, why not. I wonder if the Pup knows what camping is? What could possibly go wrong?" So, Good Friday morning we pack up & are on our way! The dog rode well in the car & was patient as I set up the camper. Not much to do except take lots of walks/hikes & Parvin has lots of well marked hiking trails.
Mostly, we just sat by the campfire & he (Sam) was quite content.

Here's a little bit of history and work that the Civilian Conservation Corps did

And yes, Sam made a friend;

After all the hiking, it was time for dinner (Bet he's never ate from a kitchen like this);

Back to the campfire & guess who's tired out

They don't make 'em like this anymore;

And looking into the woods, we found this mark of Forest Stewardship

When overnight temps dropped to 30 degrees, I was grateful to have purchased the Gekko Pop-out cover

I'll add that my chinese diesel heater was wonderful! Turn it on 30 minutes before retiring for the night and it was a warm 60 inside! Then back on before climbing out of bed! Of course someone was snuggled down & didn't want to wake up!

And of course, it wouldn't be the Jersey 'Pines if you didn't decorate your roof-rack along the way!

All in all, it was a great weekend trip! One I won't forget & I hope Sam won't either & it seems we'll have more travels together. Upon arriving home, my coworker informed me he can't keep Sam! I surely can't surrender him to a shelter, besides, I think he likes me (don't know why) so Sam & I are looking forward to some more adventures!

Thank you for following along & allowing me to share.
-Tim

timd32

Rank III

Contributor III

NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Dthirtytwo
Member #

Let me start off by saying I'm by no means a photographer but I'd like to share a quick weekend trip I recently took to Parvin State Park in South Jersey. Parvin S.P. was a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) site with much more history that can be found here;
Parvin State Park and CCC Camp - Pittsgrove NJ - Living New Deal
While it's certainly not an "Overlanding Destination", it proved perfect for a quick getaway complete with an unexpected guest.
So, 10 days before Easter & a coworker tells me he found a dog, took it to the shelter, the shelter's full & that he's fostering it (I later find out that's a made up story). The day before Good Friday he tells me he has to go out of town & asks if I could watch the dog. "Sure, why not. I wonder if the Pup knows what camping is? What could possibly go wrong?" So, Good Friday morning we pack up & are on our way! The dog rode well in the car & was patient as I set up the camper. Not much to do except take lots of walks/hikes & Parvin has lots of well marked hiking trails.
Mostly, we just sat by the campfire & he (Sam) was quite content.

Here's a little bit of history and work that the Civilian Conservation Corps did

And yes, Sam made a friend;

After all the hiking, it was time for dinner (Bet he's never ate from a kitchen like this);

Back to the campfire & guess who's tired out

They don't make 'em like this anymore;

And looking into the woods, we found this mark of Forest Stewardship

When overnight temps dropped to 30 degrees, I was grateful to have purchased the Gekko Pop-out cover

I'll add that my chinese diesel heater was wonderful! Turn it on 30 minutes before retiring for the night and it was a warm 60 inside! Then back on before climbing out of bed! Of course someone was snuggled down & didn't want to wake up!

And of course, it wouldn't be the Jersey 'Pines if you didn't decorate your roof-rack along the way!

All in all, it was a great weekend trip! One I won't forget & I hope Sam won't either & it seems we'll have more travels together. Upon arriving home, my coworker informed me he can't keep Sam! I surely can't surrender him to a shelter, besides, I think he likes me (don't know why) so Sam & I are looking forward to some more adventures!

Thank you for following along & allowing me to share.
-Tim
Looks like a nice get away, I'm sure Sam is happy to have the opportunity, he looks pretty content camping. Enjoy.

Reactions: MuckSavage