Overlanding with a Kayak

• HTML tutorial

CapeFearXJ00

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Wilmington NC, US
Member #

I've only been on a few rental kayaks. Any insight for the newb kayaker? I've been wanting to pick one up for a long time but never got around to it.
Also what about 2nd hand gear? Any brands to stay away from?
Wonder if there are clubs?
Make sure to get roto-molded boat, theyre made much better and will last for decades! My dad has a aquaterra 17' hes had since the 80's! Also stay away from Pelican boats haha

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I love kayaking, I have a couple fishing kayaks and I also have a few whitewater kayaks. Here's a picture heading out for the day when I had my FJ. This was the first time I had taken the boats out with the FJ and I took the picture, looked at it and realized that they kayaks would be much more stable upside down but because the rack was narrower I didn't have as much room so we tried it this way. Later on we went with the yaks flipped. I just picked up my Jeep and don't have a rack yet so I don't have any pictures of me heading out with them. Living in Alabama there are tons of options and chances to get out and go kayaking.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

18404036_10155092589701368_3763621053923412277_o.jpg Got a 15.5 Delta hybrid last year, finally got a chance to take it paddling down the Little Saskatchewan river. Just a solo trip so not much for pictures, but it was a nice day for about 5 hours of paddling. Averaging about 8km/h at a casual pace down river.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Kayaks are way more fun, but I like the cargo capacity of a canoe. Working out a roof rack system that won't interfere too much with my current setup.
#Overwater Bound ;-)

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

One of my favorite things to do is kayak camp. Here is a pic of my old kayak I bought a couple years ago. Unfortunately it ended up at the bottom of a river on a trip me and my son were on.....long story.

jeep1.jpg

It has since been replaced with a perception pescador pro 120 kayak.

Reactions: Wesley smith

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Ocean kayak frenzy for the shark baits and when l need some capacity for gear.

And an old pelican for when I feel like playing around

Reactions: Flipper

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I use an RTT and so didn't have the ability to transport a normal kayak on my rig, so I found a good inflatable kayak. It is compact (fits into a backpack style bag so I can carry wherever the water may be) and can be put inside my jeep.
I know hardcore kayakers will probably scoff at it but it enables me to get out onto the water and enjoy nature from that perspective. The next time I use it I will take some pics and post.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Tried the Kayak but wanted something that would fit the dog and me. So I got a canoe and the wife and I took the dogs way up to the lake to try it out. Well the wife and I got in with our dogs (2 really small ones and 1 Husky) and my husky move and over we went in 2 feet of water and I also learn that my Husky gets sea sick. Dang. The Husky prefers to swim. It is also a little hard to get that 15 ft canoe down from 7 feet high truck by yourself.

Reactions: TnWalrus

OCD7785

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Goose Creek, SC
Member #

My wife and I have a pair of Native’s ultimate fx12’s hybrids. We love them they are super stable, amazingly comfortable and have tons of storage room with the right paddle these things move and good pace and track real nice.

282EB659-9148-4424-95C1-2A531F5144F7.jpeg BD6A1CA0-5D7E-46E2-96A6-EBCCC55F00AA.jpeg

Reactions: stix999 and Jube

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

So are the 2 seat kayaks any good?
We need something 2 seat, we like the kayak idea.
Can some one recommend a good 2 seat kayak or what to stay away from?