Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
Hey all,

For those of you with children, I'm just curious what kind of setups you all are running for overland trips? I'm still torn between a larger RTT or doing a DIY Trailer Build with a queen size sleeping floor + 2 bunks width wise for the children over our feet area. Thinking maybe a 6x8 trailer build.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
We are a family of 5. What I was/am thinking is two sleeping inside of camper shell and 3 kids in the RTT. I want to avoid pulling a DIY trailer if I can. Although I have seen some decent tear drop trailers with a queen size bed and a kitchen setup in the back. But again for any off-roading I'd be concerned with pulling it. I'd have to be one of those off-road style of tear drop trailer $$$.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

2 adults and 2 kids here. I pull a trailer with a little platform bed that we sleep on bunk style. I made it from PVC so I can remove it when I need to and it’s really light weight. I personally like sleeping in tents because it feels more like being outdoors, so We will use a ground tent sometimes.

IMG_2021.jpg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
We used a ''boys'' ground tent and a ''girls'' ground tent when I was a kid. Eventually we each had our own single person backpacking tent.

Was never into cramming everyone in one tight space.