Overlanding Shoes (Is there such a thing :-) )

• HTML tutorial

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have a pair of solomons that I wear that I love when hiking or walking around. But at base camp or driving its all about my Sorel slippers. I like to be comfortable when there isnt an abundance of wear being put on.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Crocs for driving (when making distance) and camp. Oboz for hiking, flip flops for shower and camp.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm in sandals the whole time. Hiking shoes are packed and optional.

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Late to the party, but adding that I believe dedicated driving shoes are essential for both on and off-road safety when overlanding. Most shoes just aren’t designed for extensive driving, especially if driving with a manual transmission. That being said, they have to be robust enough to be able to get into the dirt for recovery without sacrificing safety. I’m an experienced long-distance multi-day hiker, born in Australia and now living in the foothills of the French Pyrenees. I take what I put on my feet as seriously as the tyres I put on my truck.

Driving: VivoBarefoot Tracker II FG (zero drop, super grippy) Tracker II FG Mens
Campsite: Keen Newport Leather (comfortable, hard-wearing and breathable) Men's Brown Water Hiking Sandals - Newport | KEEN Footwear
Hiking: Lowa Renegade GTX mid (arguably one of the best hiking boots on the planet) Renegade GTX Mid | LOWA Boots USA
General: Blundstone Chelsea Boots (shit-kicking work boots that will survive most things you can throw at them) Stout Brown Premium Leather Chelsea Boots, Men's Style 500 - Blundstone USA

Note: these are not affiliate links

DintDobbs

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MiamiC70 True statement, but terrible brand suggestions, ha ha.

I wear cheap AND1 basketball flat soles I got from Wal Mart, and carry a pair of steel-toed swamp rubbers for sand, mud, gravel, and any other rowdy stuff. My knees give up long before my feet start hurting, so good shoes aren't that important for me.

Reactions: MiamiC70

DintDobbs

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MiamiC70 Yee yee! Don't worry, it's all in good fun. I'm basically out of the game when it comes to clothes and shoes. Most of what I wear is work uniforms, so my cheap beat-around clothes will probably last 20 years.

Sometimes it's surprising how good a cheap product will be, but you can't expect the quality workmanship and good performance that you'd get from a higher-dollar item. You get what you pay for, and like everything else, you gotta find what works for ya, and stick with it!

Reactions: MiamiC70

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Trail runners. Light, breathable with sturdy soles and lots of traction. I backpack for 5 days at a time, generally 50-60 mike trips. Big old leather hikers are out of favor in the modern backpacking era. Totally unnecessary, especially for near-vehicle adventures (in decent weather). I bring Croc knock offs for wading into water. I sure see why rubber boots may come in handy if you expect mud. I throw in waterproof mid hikers if weather is variable. Trail runners dry out fast if there’s an occasional shower.

Reactions: Biker Eagle

NoMoreGreen

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Mckinney Texas
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Redacted
Member #

Interesting topic, I think this is where hiking and overlanding will overlap.

I spent years on my feet in a previous career and wore danner arcadias for the first half, and the swapped to salomon xa pros.
I used to wear brooks ghost off the clock.
After swapping to salomon xa pros, I now wear those in my new career, hiking, backpacking and just generally all the time.
You can go waterproof, or quick drying. I went quick drying and also wear smart wool base layers.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
After swapping to salomon xa pros, I now wear those in my new career, hiking, backpacking and just generally all the time.
I use those as my summer walking/driving shoe. Recently I picked up a set of Merrell's. A bit heavier but so far so good. Those have turned into my daily work shoe.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Update on the Danners. They were very comfortable durable but…on rocky trails they were just too thin and bruised my feet badly.
So I found a trail runner with a taller stack. Problem solved. After 6 months of hiking they give me great comfort, protection from rocks, traction and ventilation. Topo Pursuit with a zero drop and 28mm stack and Vibram soles.

Attachments

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Not exactly overlanding shoes but good indoor/outdoor slippers for lounging around camp and for in and out of tents, trailers, etc. They're made out of memory foam but don't work that well. There have been several times when I couldn't remember where I left them! I got them for about $15 at Walmart.

23-05-09 1.jpg