Overlanding in a Hummer H1

• HTML tutorial

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

They only produced 281 second gen H1 Alpha's. Not sure what that's going to do to the cost and availability. We had a Hummer franchise at my shop and I did some work on one of the prototypes before they were produced. The Duromax was a bit of a squeeze in there. From what i remember, the first gen had a few....issues with the fit. I remember the prototype needed a significant body lift for the engine to clear the body. They also needed to redesign the engine fan drive. I dont remember how they addressed those in production. "If" they did, it most likely would have been second gen. I will say this, it really needed that engine.
Sadly we only sold 6 H1's including 1 1'st gen Alpha in the 4 years we had the franchise.
Thank you Smritte for the very interesting technical information you share with us.
Why do you think so few were produced? And that only 6 were sold. I mean, in the few sales, do you see the car price or performance thing?.
The lift thing, for whatever reasons I like it, I know what it's like to pass rocks under the cars that were "supposedly lifted".
I don't know if you've seen the fan they have, it's kind of tilted, I don't know if that's design origins.
Why do you say it really needs that motor?.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Thank you Smritte for the very interesting technical information you share with us.
Why do you think so few were produced? And that only 6 were sold. I mean, in the few sales, do you see the car price or performance thing?.
The lift thing, for whatever reasons I like it, I know what it's like to pass rocks under the cars that were "supposedly lifted".
I don't know if you've seen the fan they have, it's kind of tilted, I don't know if that's design origins.
Why do you think so few were produced?
Not really sure. We all had the impression they didn't want to produce civilian vehicles (H1). I say this because of the difficulty in getting warranty parts. It wasn't unusual to have a vehicle wait 6+ months for a trim part.

And that only 6 were sold. I mean, in the few sales, do you see the car price or performance thing?.
At our store, the price started at 100k. I think the Alpha was around 125k. Demographic is everything. I'm sure they sold more on the other side of LA. My dealer was in Ontario.
Performance wise, the motor in the civilian model (Not Alpha) was an "ok" motor that in my opinion was way under powered for the weight class.

The lift was a body lift. It gave no extra ground clearance. This was due to the back of the engine bell housing clearance. I don't remember what trans they had in the prototype but its possible if they did something diffrent, it wouldn't need it. I'm trying to remember this from 04 or 05 (ish)

That was a clearance thing. The new motor was considerably larger.

Because there weren't many sold or brought into my dealer, the 6.2 motor was the only one I was exposed to. In my opinion it was way under powered for the chassis.

Reactions: Pindal

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

Where did you glean that understanding?

-TJ
I suppose because they have to carry heavy material such as armor, war material, etc.
I suppose that the weight that is released in the Hummer is much less and for the same reason there is already a fuel saving.

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

Why do you think so few were produced?
Not really sure. We all had the impression they didn't want to produce civilian vehicles (H1). I say this because of the difficulty in getting warranty parts. It wasn't unusual to have a vehicle wait 6+ months for a trim part.

And that only 6 were sold. I mean, in the few sales, do you see the car price or performance thing?.
At our store, the price started at 100k. I think the Alpha was around 125k. Demographic is everything. I'm sure they sold more on the other side of LA. My dealer was in Ontario.
Performance wise, the motor in the civilian model (Not Alpha) was an "ok" motor that in my opinion was way under powered for the weight class.

The lift was a body lift. It gave no extra ground clearance. This was due to the back of the engine bell housing clearance. I don't remember what trans they had in the prototype but its possible if they did something diffrent, it wouldn't need it. I'm trying to remember this from 04 or 05 (ish)

That was a clearance thing. The new motor was considerably larger.

Because there weren't many sold or brought into my dealer, the 6.2 motor was the only one I was exposed to. In my opinion it was way under powered for the chassis.
Thank you for your very interesting technical opinion.
Yes it does leave me thinking quite a bit about price and performance or cost and benefit.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What was cool about that time frame was getting to go to the factory and drive their "test course". At that time I was hard core rock crawling so the course was a bit Ehhh. The other people there were really impressed. I looked at it as a cool thing I got to go to.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I suppose because they have to carry heavy material such as armor, war material, etc.
I suppose that the weight that is released in the Hummer is much less and for the same reason there is already a fuel saving.
I suppose my point is, you have stated several things already in this thread as your understanding which are patently false. It sounds like you're guessing, vs. "having an understanding."

-TJ

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

I suppose my point is, you have stated several things already in this thread as your understanding which are patently false. It sounds like you're guessing, vs. "having an understanding."

-TJ
What I am doing is learning from scratch.
I have liked the Hammer H1 since I met them and the idea of this conversation is to get the necessary information to get an idea of what I can buy or not and mainly I need a Hammer to do what I do.
I am making a learning process on the experience that other partners have.
I tend to make my decisions in an informed way and as well informed as I can, so far this has worked out very well for me and one of the principles that Michael has projected in the Overland Bound is precisely that to share experiences and make community.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH