Overlanding in a Full-Size Truck - Comfortable family rig or doomed like the Titanic?

• HTML tutorial

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

California, St. Mary's County, Maryland, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

Relatively new to adventure travel, but I love it and can’t wait to share it with my kids when they’re older. But I occasionally worry that when that time comes, things will get a bit cramped in the back of my Crew Cab mid-size Colorado. Especially with car seats.
With full-sized trucks getting more capable (ZR2 Silverado, Rebel, Raptor, etc.), I wonder if upgrading to one would make a trip more comfortable for everyone, or if the larger size truly would limit the roads and paths I can take.

Are there any folks who run (or used to run) in Full-size rigs? Have you found the pros to outweigh the cons?

Reactions: 05EXCURSION

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
From somebody who has never owned or wheeled, and certainly has never traveled, in a full-size, I'll go ahead and say yes, if you're hardcore wheeling, the size of your rig is going to limit where you can take it. That doesn't mean you won't find plenty of places to go, on and off the road.

The truth is that nobody hardcore wheels a full-size rig because of the size being the limiting factor.

If you want dirt roads and sand and mud, have fun with whatever suits your needs - but if you're going to run forests and rock gardens and high-clearance, tight trails, you will need a small rig. Modifying a full-size rig for decent clearance makes it huge, and bigger is not better in most off-road scenarios.

For reference, one of my pals has a 2020 Ram 1500 and I have a 1999 Ford Explorer. Turning around in the space of 1 lane's width is some thing that he has to live without, and his breakover angle is a laughing matter (he's at stock height with running boards).

On the flip side, taking more than 4 people anywhere is not an option for me, and forget bringing gear for even a weekend out - my maximum payload is around 900 pounds.

So if all you're doing is traveling, camping, and finding good places to get out of the car for fishing, hiking, kayaking, or the like, and the hardest terrain you take are dirt roads and sandy beaches and forest service roads, a full-size is for you! If you find that it occasionally doesn't clear obstacles, lifting is always a future option.

On the other hand, if you find yourself high-centering or tagging the rear bumper on departure, or struggling to find places to turn around, in your current rig, then consider that it will only be harder in a larger vehicle.

There are many, many people who prefer a full-size rig because their capacities and specs are much, much higher than a "compact" truck (which really aren't that much smaller these days).

Let's just say, most people don't regret going full-size, if travel is primary use and wheeling is secondary use.

Reactions: Mr_Mnml_Engnr

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
So you are actually talking about what use old guys called a crew cab - 4 door pickup. Your limitations are turning radius mostly, and here the Pacific Northwest cross ditches due to your length. But having said that we have a member up here with a Land Rover D-130 king cab at just shy of 17 feet and he does just fine. My Discovery is 15.5 long, 6.5 wide so pretty fat and it does ok.

The ZR2 is slightly wider than my Disco (6.8), and bit longer than the D130 at almost 20 feet. So no reason it could not be functional and usable, with in the the 2 points above.

Reactions: DintDobbs

05EXCURSION

Rank VI

Influencer I

Renton, King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lujan
Member #

Relatively new to adventure travel, but I love it and can’t wait to share it with my kids when they’re older. But I occasionally worry that when that time comes, things will get a bit cramped in the back of my Crew Cab mid-size Colorado. Especially with car seats.
With full-sized trucks getting more capable (ZR2 Silverado, Rebel, Raptor, etc.), I wonder if upgrading to one would make a trip more comfortable for everyone, or if the larger size truly would limit the roads and paths I can take.

Are there any folks who run (or used to run) in Full-size rigs? Have you found the pros to outweigh the cons?
I have one of the largest fullsize SUVs made and I take it just about every place my friends 4runner goes

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Mnml_Engnr

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

I own a full, full sized. A GMC 2500 AT4 (i.e., crew cab + 6.9 bed) so that's about as big as you can get in a pickup. I find it can do about 90% of what the Jeeps can do. There are definitely trails where they get too narrow and it does limit my use, but not so much that I would consider going smaller. I use it to haul a Four Wheel Camper so that's why I'm full sized. I used to use a SUV that wasn't built out and it was more limiting than having a truck, been using trucks for the last 20 years and wouldn't go back. I did the Colorado BDR last year in my half ton before upgrading this year and doing the Wyoming BDR. On the Colorado BDR, the only portion I skipped was Imogene, but the tour companies drive up there with 2500's every day. I would say, "what's your goal?". If it's hard-core rock crawling, then don't get it, but if it's getting out there, camping and exploring the outdoors, it's a great choice.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

We have an E350 van, 4X4, 138" wheelbase. Obviously I'm not going to Moab and try all the hard stuff, but washed out BLM or Forest Service roads and trails are fine. A full size pickup can be pretty capable, you just need to pay attention to what you're doing. Earth Roamer trucks are enormous, and they are considered serious overland rigs.

I guess it comes down to your specific application. Do you mostly run severe, technical trails, or stick mostly to a little easier trails? How much carrying capacity do you need? How long do you plan on staying out?

I've been through several iterations of off road/camping set ups, and I like the size and capabilities of this full size van.

Reactions: DintDobbs

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

I’m seeing a lot of responses to the effect of: “Technical hardcore crawling = go small; easier, leisure camping = can be done in a big rig.” And related to another of my posts a while back about learning the difference between Overlanding and “Wheeling” (crawling), as I start off on this hobby I’m more drawn to the leisure travel, seeing beautiful places, and sharing it with friends and family. So it’s nice to know that when the time comes, if I DO want to upgrade to a full-size, I might not be closing the door on things I really enjoy.

05EXCURSION

Rank VI

Influencer I

Renton, King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lujan
Member #

I’m seeing a lot of responses to the effect of: “Technical hardcore crawling = go small; easier, leisure camping = can be done in a big rig.” And related to another of my posts a while back about learning the difference between Overlanding and “Wheeling” (crawling), as I start off on this hobby I’m more drawn to the leisure travel, seeing beautiful places, and sharing it with friends and family. So it’s nice to know that when the time comes, if I DO want to upgrade to a full-size, I might not be closing the door on things I really enjoy.
I fully agree with you on this. I built a trailer for camping and long road trips one day I will switch my vehicle to a full time off road vehicle but till then it gets double duty of running the trails and towing the trailer.

itsoutside

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fairfax CA, USA
First Name
Conor
Last Name
Burns
Member #

I have a Ram 2500 and an FJ Cruiser. It all depends on where you're going and what you're doing. I tried a trail about a year ago in the truck and got stuck, then couldn't turn around. Took a few hours to get out. I recently returned to that same trail in my FJC. It was in slightly worse condition and my FJC did it like it was nothing. I love the truck for long drives and big open fire roads but I prefer the FJ for everything else

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Mr_Mnml_Engnr This thread goes hand in hand with your other thread (the one about the differences between overlanding and off-roading) from a few months ago.

For overlanding, a full-size is almost universally preferred. For off-roading, a smaller rig is almost universally preferred.

"Size matters not," said a green guy in a movie who never tried to get an F-150 down a trail made by quads.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
For what it’s worth, you mentioned that you want to share this with your kids when they are older. I’d say enjoy your current rig and when it starts to get cramped look at your options at that point. You might consider keeping what you got and buying another rig for the family trips in whatever number of years that will be. Plus you will have a good idea at the time it comes what the needs are.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
DRW worktrucks do more overlanding every week, than this forum does in a decade.

No, you can't go on the tightest little horse trail. Take another road. It's no big deal. You can always come back with a horse trailer.

I'm considering downgrading to a travel trailer. I could have towed a 23' trailer everywhere I "overlanded" this year.

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

I think this is the approach this thread is steering me to take. Not is a position to buy a latchkey Silverado or Raptor right now, but can plan for and reattack this when the kids are old enough. It’s also a good motivator to consider interoperability of my add-ons as I build my current rig; how can I minimize what I would need to re-buy if I switched vehicles later down the road?

Reactions: DintDobbs and loper

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

@Mr_Mnml_Engnr This thread goes hand in hand with your other thread (the one about the differences between overlanding and off-roading) from a few months ago.

For overlanding, a full-size is almost universally preferred. For off-roading, a smaller rig is almost universally preferred.

"Size matters not," said a green guy in a movie who never tried to get an F-150 down a trail made by quads.
Haha! You caught me! But you can then see why I’m asking, as my gut leads me down the Overlanding rabbit hole

Reactions: DintDobbs and K12

Weavor

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steven
Last Name
Pollard
Member #

I run a F250 Super Duty, 6.9 bed It has been lifted 4 inches and I tow a HQ12 Black Series behind me. I cant run tight trails but I have this for me and my family to go out together. We all enjoy being out in the middle of no where the further the better. There are not many kids who enjoy sitting in a car for hours, and its even worse when its to bumpy for them to read. If I want to try harder things I park the camper and go. My rig is capable of off-road in my local area they have a trail rated from 1 to 5 diamonds, with 5 being Rubicon trail level. I never take my truck above a 3 at that location. I would not take my trailer with me above a 2. The big thing you need to remember is your family will be with you, and you need to get them home. If you break down how long can you last? I dont need to be the coolest dad by trying to over-overland, I just need to show my family an adventure.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

A lot of good info has already been shared so I will only add be very honest on what you will be doing with it. If you are taking longer trips with multiple people (young adults included) the majority of your driving will likely be on road and an uncomfortable trip won't endear them to wanting to do more. No a full size won't rock crawl like a Wrangler but it will sure go to a heck of a lot of awesome places. Think about the Forest Service, they drive full-size trucks and seem to get around fine. I have both a full size and a Wrangler, just take them on different trips is all.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I absolutely LOVE overlanding my full size. You have to be willing to live with trail-stripes, and there will be trails where your size makes things more difficult. But I find it extremely uncommon (as in, hasn't happened to me yet) where a trail WILL fit something like a Tacoma, 4Runner, Gladiator, etc. but won't fit my 2500. Usually they're either big 'nough for a full size, or they're too small for something like a Gladiator anyway.

My full size is a '11 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Duramax/Allison) that has been solid axle swapped (WFO radius arm kit with a SD60) and is currently getting a Kelderman rear suspension setup. Both axles are geared to 4.56 and have ARB air lockers and it sits on 37x13.5. I carry a Four Wheels Camper Hawk in the back. I have a 60 gallon fuel tank (in place of the stock tank, custom skid protecting the entire tank), bumper/winch//lights up front, a tire swing w/ table/chainsaw storage/etc., and a bunch more I am forgetting. I really think what I've built is the "Ultimate Overlander" for me. I want to stress that last part: for me I know it isn't the ultimate for everyone. There are many reasons it's my ultimate rig. It's comfortable on and off road, it's very capable and can get way further than anything this big has any right doing, with the FWC and all the storage of a full size I can bring everything I need (and then some), I have great range (at about 15 MPG on the freeway at 75 I have ~900 mi on road range, off road in 2wd with about 35psi in the tires I still get 12+ MPG, off road in 4L going down to 25psi I still do 10+ so at worst I have a 600 mile range), I can almost always recover anybody else in my group, etc. etc. The only downsides really are size and weight (if/when I do get it stuck I'm always the heaviest rig int he group so recovery will be more of a challenge) and a bit of side-to-side chucking when the trail has "staggered" bumps (think left-right-left-right bumps, generally I find it in soft/silty materials where SxSs drive a lot). To address the latter concern I'm currently doing the Kelderman rear setup (including sway).

I also have a XJ and a WJ (the former somewhat built, the latter VERY built), and had a 2nd Gen Xterra until recently when I gave it to my sister. There are trails (like The Rubicon) I'd take the XJ or WJ on, but I wouldn't take my Silverado on. I do think I could get my SIlverado (without the FWC) through the Rubi... but it wouldn't come out looking nearly the same. But for what *most* people would consider Overlanding, I haven't run into a place where the size has been a limiting factor. In fact, I find this setup generally easier (and definitely more capable on harder trails) than the WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi and SoCal Teardrops off road trailer I was using just before it. When I'd put that trailer behind the WJ, maaaaaaybe it could get through some stuff my D'max can't... but *if* you end up in a jam in some rocks where you need to back up and reposition that is super tough with a trailer. I've towed trailers for decades, I can back 'em with the best of 'em, but when you're all bound up in some rocks, can't just steer wherever you want to guide the trailer, and the trailer has rocks dictating where it goes more than the rig... backing up is often not an option.

IMG_6727.jpgIMG_3136 (1).jpg20230318_145833 (1).jpg20230318_171350 (1).jpg20230317_180647 (1).jpgbroverland.jpgmessages_0 - 2023-03-23T163423.536.jpegmessages_0 - 2023-03-23T163416.528.jpegmessages_0 - 2023-03-23T163413.887.jpegDumont2.jpgmessages_0 (7) (1).jpegmessages_0 (10) (1).jpegmessages_0 (29) (1).jpeg20220408_142403 (1).jpg20220408_202609.jpg20220408_142235.jpgmessages_0 - 2023-01-03T092028.967 (1).jpegmessages_0 - 2023-01-03T092040.076 (1).jpegmessages_0 - 2023-01-03T092042.931 (1).jpegmessages_0 - 2023-01-03T092045.601 (1).jpeg20221210_142103.jpgflex2.jpegflex1.jpegmessages_0 - 2023-01-05T150608.262.jpegmessages_0 - 2023-01-03T092056.739.jpegmessages_0 - 2023-01-03T092038.359.jpeg

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Most of the folks here can't get out on the weekends much less overland hundreds of miles through forest roads and the like. It just doesn't exist for the regular guy. Choose an adventure that the entire family can participate in and have fun. Weekend warriors have a blast.
I've been out over a year and have 25,000 miles under my belt and it's hard. But it's an adventure we can handle and it's beautiful too.
Zim

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I have a Silverado 4 door crew cab and having the space is great I keep my fridge inside the cab and the totes go in the bed. I can fit 2 kids in the back seat with the fridge but 1 adult comfortably. Now we only go out for a week at max not months. My setup works well for us and the truck goes most places with no problems. Ive used truck to do a few obsticles like rock gardens and pyramids but when on the trail its just fine. My only downfall is I have to carry stuff my friends in thier 4 runner cant fit.