40.1259, -75.7003
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WT7BO
2014 JKU pretty heavily modified pulling a 2017 Turtleback Expedition trailer. We’ve added a few goodies to the trailer including Maxtrax mounts, pole carrier tube, ARB fridge on sliders, axe and shovel mounts.

These were from the Eclipse trip to Oregon last summer:

These were from last 4th of July in the Colville Indian Reservation in Washington:

The trailer has been amazing.

Last edited:

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I'm liking the looks of the Turtleback and Boarderland styles of trails. Are there any other companies out that that make a similar style trailer?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm liking the looks of the Turtleback and Boarderland styles of trails. Are there any other companies out that that make a similar style trailer?
Not too many like the Turtleback. Many many Teardrop builders.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
2014 JKU pretty heavily modified pulling a 2017 Turtleback Expedition trailer. We’ve added a few goodies to the trailer including Maxtrax mounts, pole carrier tube, ARB fridge on sliders, axe and shovel mounts.

These were from the Eclipse trip to Oregon last summer:

These were from last 4th of July in the Colville Indian Reservation in Washington:

The trailer has been amazing.
Glad to see someone else from Spokane!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Not too many like the Turtleback. Many many Teardrop builders.
Yep, noticing that. So far along those styles I've found:

Turtleback
Borderland

Xventure is almost there, but not quite the same as they don't have the side boxes.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yep, noticing that. So far along those styles I've found:
Turtleback
Borderland
Xventure is almost there, but not quite the same as they don't have the side boxes.
Turtleback and Borderland trailers are great trailers, nicely-designed, and are both made specifically for camping.

XVenture is meant to be a completely different beast than either of them, or the Patriot, or most any other trailer designed only for camping.

It's a military cargo trailer in both heritage and style, made by the same manufacturer that has made over 50,000 military trailers for governments around the world and that have been tested at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.

The XV-2 has a cargo bay of almost 8' long with 49.5" between the wheel wheels. That's like the size of a full-sized pick-up bed, though on steroids in build. So far, in all the wandering around America I've done, I haven't needed side boxes on my XVenture for anything.

The trailer is air-lift rated, too, meaning it can literally be air-lifted and dropped by parachute onto the battlefield or into a rescue situation or natural disaster recovery. They can be used for hauling large items like a motorcycle or ATV, or used for urban and rural jobs like moving over a ton of gravel, railroad ties, a stack of sheetrock or plywood, or your kid's belongings to college.

It can also be used as primary support for rescue and disaster situations or for off-grid living, providing power, water heating, and storage all while still being able to be used as primary transport for over a ton of materials.

That's exactly what I love about my XVenture; it's supreme versatility, extreme ruggedness that will outlast any other trailer I've looked at, and that I can configure it any number of different ways for diverse applications at the drop of a hat. I can't afford a trailer, really, that might sit unused a good part of the year if I'm going to be helping someone build an off-grid home, or helping family with landscaping, or moving, or need it to be pickup for chore days.

xv-2-cargo_IMG_2216.JPG

Heavy duty aluminum trailer frame, all HuckBolt construction, trailer tub all double-walled, all linex-ed. All plumbing and wiring is mil-spec.
Hard-rolling titanium locking cover, which has proven to be just amazing.

xv2-cargo_IMG_1817.JPG

xv2-gearlaidout_IMG_2223.JPG
All of this gear, with the exception of the bike and the black rectangular storage bag with the X straps on it, fits into the cargo area of the XV-2.

smokymtncampIMG_3215.JPG

Both RTT and expansive awning deploy within minutes and pack up just about as easy. I can't say enough how much I love this set up and how it all fits together, while still being an awesome bit of gear I can use for any number of other endeavors.

PowerCtr_9941.JPG

The XV-2 Power Center. Two Odyssey deep cycles, solar charge controller, Noco Genius for battery charging, shore power capability (never used it yet, as my solar has provided all I need so far), fuse box and switches for water pump and LED lights, and I now have a 1000W Pure Sine inverter and an ARB air compressor in this section, too.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Awesome trailer.... it's on my short list for sure.

Do you have the ARB fridge in the front box.... and if so, is there any issue with heat build-up being contained like that?
You may get a chance to see it first hand, @Winterpeg, if I come through there this spring/summer on my way to Alberta and BC.

Nope, I have the ARB 50, and it will fit in the right end of the nose box (which was designed for a fridge) but chose to keep my fridge right inside the back doors to my van so I could leave base camp for the day and still have cold food and drink without having to haul a cooler. It also fits into my kitchen flow that way just fine, and allows me to put cold groceries directly into it when I make a supply run.

Schutt says they tested a fridge in the box against a fridge in a vehicle and found no appreciable differences in heat buildup or performance. I can't help but think, though, that it would cycle a lot more often to stay down at temp if in the smaller confines of the nose box, from using its own heated air. There are no vents in the nose box, and you wouldn't want to introduce any, as it is quite water and dust resistant the way it's built. I think when the fridge is in a vehicle, it would have to be cooler because of more movement of air, AC, shade, etc. and that it would cycle onand off far less, meaning a longer life for compressor.

I never tried it in the nose box, so can't say for certain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

You may get a chance to see it first hand, @Winterpeg, if I come through there this spring/summer on my way to Alberta and BC.

Nope, I have the ARB 50, and it will fit in the right end of the nose box (which was designed just for a fridge) but chose to keep my fridge right inside the back doors to my van so I could leave base camp for the day and still have cold food and drink without having to haul a cooler. It also fits into my kitchen flow that way just fine, and allows me to put cold groceries directly into it when I make a supply run.

Schutt says they tested a fridge in the box against a fridge in a vehicle and found no appreciable differences in heat buildup or performance. I can't help but think, though, that it would cycle a lot more often to stay down at temp if in the smaller confines of the nose box, from using its own heated air. There are no vents in the nose box, and you wouldn't want to introduce any, as it is quite water and dust resistant the way it's built. I think when the fridge is in a vehicle, it would have to be cooler because of more movement of air, AC, shade, etc. and that it would cycle on and off far less, meaning a longer life for compressor.

I never even tried it in the nose box, so can't say for certain.

That would be fantastic! Beer is on me! If you have time we could even throw something on the smoker or bbq ;)
I have a garage if you need to work on anything too.

Thanks for the info re: the fridge. I currently keep mine in the back of my FJ and I agree with the cycling..... as there is more space in the cab of a vehicle for it to get air. That being said though.... I normally have a fair bit of crap in the back of the FJ as well, lol. Although I do try to keep a bit of space clear where it vents.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Very cool - I'll keep an eye on your Manitoba Members thread and come crash one of your meetups ;)

You guys get up to the provincial parks or reserves much, or up to Wapusk NP and Hudson Bay? Instead of clogging up this thread about Overland Trailers, feel free to DM me or start a new thread in the Canada/Prairies (AB, SK, MB), maybe for travelers passing through that could meet up with your group or those who might like to individually.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

@Road thanks for the detailed response about the Xventrure trailer. My comparison of it to the other two brands was one of style and not quality/capability. I do like the Xventure as well.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road thanks for the detailed response about the Xventrure trailer. My comparison of it to the other two brands was one of style and not quality/capability. I do like the Xventure as well.
Oh I know, @Etoimos, and you're welcome. I wasn't doubting your intentions, but think it's worth making clear they're not the same style of trailer at all. Some readers of this thread may dismiss one type or another without knowing much about the differences.

Hope you find the trailer that suits your needs best!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
When you get done I would really like to know how much it weighs. Very nice!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign