Overland specific pricing

• HTML tutorial

Chris Pettit

Rank 0

Contributor I

So I'm just curious.... I'm I the only one who thinks that prices of almost anything that says overlanding in it is ASTRONOMICAL!? Thousands of dollars for a tent!? Hundreds for a flat round frying pan!? Now don't get me wrong I completely understand the value of spending a little extra for something nice. I would totally pay $100 for that flat round frying pan but almost $300!? Do they just have the market cornered or is there really that many people in this world who see it as no big deal? Or am I missing something?

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

So I'm just curious.... I'm I the only one who thinks that prices of almost anything that says overlanding in it is ASTRONOMICAL!? Thousands of dollars for a tent!? Hundreds for a flat round frying pan!? Now don't get me wrong I completely understand the value of spending a little extra for something nice. I would totally pay $100 for that flat round frying pan but almost $300!? Do they just have the market cornered or is there really that many people in this world who see it as no big deal? Or am I missing something?
You're not missing anything. It's crazy.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I don't think it is just overlanding although I do think you do pay a premium for most overlanding gear. My kids think it is ok to spend $150 on a pair jeans. Fast food restaurants love Starbucks they can charge $2 for a cup of coffee and it is a bargain, because Starbucks charges $4. When I worked at McDonald's a cup of coffee was $.42, that was a long time ago. Think about what we pay for phones, internet and cable. Bargains are cable.out there just hard to find.

Chris Pettit

Rank 0

Contributor I

I don't think it is just overlanding although I do think you do pay a premium for most overlanding gear. My kids think it is ok to spend $150 on a pair jeans. Fast food restaurants love Starbucks they can charge $2 for a cup of coffee and it is a bargain, because Starbucks charges $4. When I worked at McDonald's a cup of coffee was $.42, that was a long time ago. Think about what we pay for phones, internet and cable. Bargains are cable.out there just hard to find.
Preach! Lol $150 for a pair of jeans!? Do they come with imported silk liners lmao!
I pay $100 for two gigs a month and they won't get a penny more. If they come up with some cockamamie plan that you have to follow for ONLY $40 more a month then I'm going to a flip phone. I get the high "er" prices for phones cause it's like having a phone, pc and navigation all in one. Word, I'll keep looking lol

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Preach! Lol $150 for a pair of jeans!? Do they come with imported silk liners lmao!
I pay $100 for two gigs a month and they won't get a penny more. If they come up with some cockamamie plan that you have to follow for ONLY $40 more a month then I'm going to a flip phone. I get the high "er" prices for phones cause it's like having a phone, pc and navigation all in one. Word, I'll keep looking lol
Remeber when you had to cut your long distant calls short? They do not charge you for long distance any more but you still pay for it, now you pay whether you use it or not. It is included in the monthly bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Pettit

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Pretty common for all hobbies. I ran in to this for bicycle specific cold weather gear. $300 for a pair of boots? Nope, $40 walmart pair of hikers was just as good. $300 for a merino wool sweater? nope. $8 at the thrift store. $150 gloves? Nope! ,y Wife's old snowboard mittens!

But, I agree. I do get sad at times, I see a really neat item, Google it and see the $$. While many times it is a quality built product, it's not for me. I'd love me a skottle, but, the price makes my $40 two burner Coleman look pretty nice.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Pretty common for all hobbies. I ran in to this for bicycle specific cold weather gear. $300 for a pair of boots? Nope, $40 walmart pair of hikers was just as good. $300 for a merino wool sweater? nope. $8 at the thrift store. $150 gloves? Nope! ,y Wife's old snowboard mittens!

But, I agree. I do get sad at times, I see a really neat item, Google it and see the $$. While many times it is a quality built product, it's not for me. I'd love me a skottle, but, the price makes my $40 two burner Coleman look pretty nice.
I had a skottle before I knew what a skottle was, I cook with a fish/turkey fryer burner with an old cast iron wok on top. I have been doing it for years. It works great. A matter of fact I just replaced the burner last month. Bass Pro had a 60000 btu fish fry burner on sale for $30 it came with the propane regulator and a pan and basket. That was a good deal. The wok was free, from my mom about 25 years ago.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

I'm all for companies making a "fair" profit, but a lot of the specialty companies seem to add a fairly hefty markup, overlanding or not.

The made locally vs made in China(or other overseas location) argument hardly holds water anymore with so many automated factories and processes. It's slowly turning me into an anti-consumer.
Gonna cut this one short, I feel a full fledged rant coming on....

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I agree 100 percent.. Of course I've fallen into some of the "overland" stuff like my cvt rtt, my skottle and my gsi camp kitchen gear..

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Oh, don't get me started. Too late: When I was a kid, one of the many reasons we camped and explored was because it was relatively cheap. Basic camping gear (we never had fancy stuff, just reliable Coleman stoves and surplus canvas tents) was durable and inexpensive. No need to spend money on hotels, and no extra money for restaurants. Nowadays, everything is faster and lighter, but also much more expensive (seriously, spend time on Outside Online, and look at the gear they recommend- tons of cool stuff, but most of it's only for the wealthy). I hate that the expense is becoming a bit of a gatekeeper- some folks feel like this hobby is simply too expensive, and they are thus denied the pleasure of the wilds. That's one of the reasons I stand up for folks traveling in basic, not super-modded vehicles (like myself). I don't want newcomers thinking that unless they can crawl over boulders, winch semis, and generate enough power from the sun to run an air-conditioner and a $1000 fridge, they shouldn't be overlanding. Grumble, grumble.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

You are overlooking that many of the hobby specific products are made by small companies, in small quantities. This makes the items more expensive than when they are made 100,000 units at a time for a big box store. Inflation has come up a lot, but mass production has kept the perceived price on most things relatively low. For example, my mother-in-law knits all the time. takes her about 3 hours to make a custom beanie. However, no one would want to pay $50 for her to do it when they can buy a $10 hat from wally world. Could some prices come down, sure, but innovation isn't cheap, and overlanding is still a niche market.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

You are overlooking that many of the hobby specific products are made by small companies, in small quantities. This makes the items more expensive than when they are made 100,000 units at a time for a big box store. Inflation has come up a lot, but mass production has kept the perceived price on most things relatively low. For example, my mother-in-law knits all the time. takes her about 3 hours to make a custom beanie. However, no one would want to pay $50 for her to do it when they can buy a $10 hat from wally world. Could some prices come down, sure, but innovation isn't cheap, and overlanding is still a niche market.
True, scale certainly matters, and there is absolutely value in well made, responsibly produced "boutique" gear; I certainly don't begrudge the craftspeople their due. Hell, I haven't set foot in a WalMart in over a decade, and I love the expensive gadgets and gear in spite of myself... My point is that you don't need fancy overlanding gear to enjoy this hobby. For a newbie just dabbling in this world, they may get the impression that it's only for those with gobs of disposable income.

Chris Pettit

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm all for companies making a "fair" profit, but a lot of the specialty companies seem to add a fairly hefty markup, overlanding or not.

The made locally vs made in China(or other overseas location) argument hardly holds water anymore with so many automated factories and processes. It's slowly turning me into an anti-consumer.
Gonna cut this one short, I feel a full fledged rant coming on....
Took the words out of my mouth lol

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I rant about both sides of this topic. I've gotten tired of the Walmart model teaching people that you can pay 60% of the original price for 50% of the quality. Stores like that began an arms race, not for better products but for lower prices at the expense of quality. What good does the saved money do you when the item breaks or rusts out in a month?

Of course, as discussed already, some people do try leveraging novelty or quality a little too hard. There are many examples of good designs that never price corrected and competitors made quality knock offs that could be marketed at half the price.

Granted, I'm a major DIYer so if there is a concept I like, I can usually build it myself for a fraction of the cost and typically modify the design to suit my needs better than the original.

Chris Pettit

Rank 0

Contributor I

I rant about both sides of this topic. I've gotten tired of the Walmart model teaching people that you can pay 60% of the original price for 50% of the quality. Stores like that began an arms race, not for better products but for lower prices at the expense of quality. What good does the saved money do you when the item breaks or rusts out in a month?

Of course, as discussed already, some people do try leveraging novelty or quality a little too hard. There are many examples of good designs that never price corrected and competitors made quality knock offs that could be marketed at half the price.

Granted, I'm a major DIYer so if there is a concept I like, I can usually build it myself for a fraction of the cost and typically modify the design to suit my needs better than the original.
Think you could build a diy rooftop clam shell tent? Lol

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

The price you pay for items takes into account the countless hours of R&D, the cost it takes to actually run the facility it's being produced in, the cost of the equipment being used, insurance costs (workplace safety) and the cost of employees and their benefits, I could go on and on... This is usually why American, Canadian or Australian made products are expensive. I'm not saying this justifies some of the prices we're seeing on today's market (lots of it has to due with supply and demand or market ownership), but being a senior level manager in the manufacturing environment I can appreciate what it takes to actually produce a quality product from design to market.

Hell, equipment can run way past the $750k mark (ask me, I know from experience lol). I'm going to use ARB as an example here, because they posted wonderful videos about this. As for the DYI stuff, yeah the materials are going to be cheaper so your cost will be cheap. You don't have overhead costs and your time is essentially free, because you're not going to pay yourself by the hour or for benefits, etc. Just my two cents.

You also don't have to buy new. Used products are obviously cheaper, you can get out into the woods in your overland rig for less than $300 if you buy what you NEED on craigslist. Money isn't a gatekeeper, the perception that we need what the $150k rig on youtube has is. The whole kit doesn't need to be flash, nothing wrong with some good old cast iron off the craigslist for cook kit, and old coleman for 10 or 20 bucks, for example.

Buying "knock-off" is also going to be cheaper than buying Brand Name or Overland specific. Those facilities which manufacturer the "knock-off" product don't have R&D costs, likely pay a poor wage and don't have benefits, for example. The quality of the product you're getting will also be inferior.

Last edited:

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

The price you pay for items takes into account the countless hours of R&D, the cost it takes to actually run the facility it's being produced in, the cost of the equipment being used, insurance costs (workplace safety) and the cost of employees and their benefits, I could go on and on... This is usually why American, Canadian or Australian made products are expensive. I'm not saying this justifies some of the prices we're seeing on today's market (lots of it has to due with supply and demand or market ownership), but being a senior level manager in the manufacturing environment I can appreciate what it takes to actually produce a quality product from design to market.

Hell, equipment can run way past the $750k mark (ask me, I know from experience lol). I'm going to use ARB as an example here, because they posted wonderful videos about this. As for the DYI stuff, yeah the materials are going to be cheaper so your cost will be cheap. You don't have overhead costs and your time is essentially free, because you're not going to pay yourself by the hour or for benefits, etc. Just my two cents.

You also don't have to buy new. Used products are obviously cheaper, you can get out into the woods in your overland rig for less than $300 if you buy what you NEED on craigslist. Money isn't a gatekeeper, the perception that we need what the $150k rig on youtube has is. The whole kit doesn't need to be flash, nothing wrong with some good old cast iron off the craigslist for cook kit, and old coleman for 10 or 20 bucks, for example.
I'll agree with this as well. I have an arb fridge. The only reason I have it is because it was almost free. It cost me has money to drive 2 hours to pick it up, and that was it. Otherwise I probably still wouldn't own a fridge. That being said I'll agree with the above statements. R&D has a lot to do with the cost of a product, although I don't think every high priced item's cost is justified.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk