Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Hello OB Community

Just looking for some PROS and CONS to the different setups that are available with regards to outfitting my truck for our adventures vs. a trailer (tear drop or turtleback) setup.

I know that it's going to come down to personal preference, type of adventures we'll be doing, etc., but just wanting some honest feedback from your experiences.

My INITIAL opinion is I like the idea of being able to drop the trailer at camp, get it set up for the day(s) and have the ability to take the truck off road or wherever without having to breakdown the rig to take off.

I also like the idea of not having to tow a trailer and limit myself as to where I can take the truck based on condition of the trail(s), etc.

Anyway, just some thoughts going through my mind as we just purchased a 2018 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road and weighing options.

Our goal is to get out there for a bit, see what we like, don't like, etc. and make a final decision, but thought I'd throw this out there for now.

Thanks

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
They both have their advantages much like Toyota vs Jeep. Are you the kind that stays in 1 area for a couple of days to base camp? Or do you get up and move to different locations every day? Are you a serious off roader that does the hard trails or are you just fine with staying on fire roads? Those 2 concerns are probably the biggest reason to choose one over the other.

Reactions: mattjans

mattjans

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rockville, MD, USA
Member #

Hey there... I'm new in the process, too. And currently changing direction... I think.

Rig: I have a Chevy Tracker, so not a lot of power. I found the Dinoot trailer as one option for something our little thing could pull. Still will probably build.

The con is that there's a lot of money in that (about 7k to build). So I looked on YouTube and found someone who had outfitted his Tracker. Thinking of starting there so I can do some small build-up projects and just make the rig better for trips.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JandAOffRoad

Mambo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

They both have their advantages much like Toyota vs Jeep. Are you the kind that stays in 1 area for a couple of days to base camp? Or do you get up and move to different locations every day? Are you a serious off roader that does the hard trails or are you just fine with staying on fire roads? Those 2 concerns are probably the biggest reason to choose one over the other.
I think these are the key questions.

I don't have a lot of experience, but my parents do - having done many overland trips through Southern Africa. Their experience is to have as few moving parts as possible, thus avoiding a trailer.
But having said that, if you truck is also your DD and you are realistic about where you want to go, maybe a trailer is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Thanks for the reply Todd and to be honest, at this point I don't have an identify for my off road style because it's been years since I've taken on this lifestyle. I use to have a Toyota SR5 4X4 and went off road that consisted of fire road, some water crossing, hill climbs, etc. and primarily camped at campgrounds.

I believe my situation will change depending on if I'm traveling alone, with my girlfriend or with the family. With the family it will probably be more base camp for a few days. If alone, I like the idea of going to different locations daily. It will really depend on who I'm traveling with.

I really like like the idea of back country type camping and stay away from the tourist and congested campgrounds.

Last edited:

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

I think these are the key questions.

I don't have a lot of experience, but my parents do - having done many overland trips through Southern Africa. Their experience is to have as few moving parts as possible, thus avoiding a trailer.
But having said that, if you truck is also your DD and you are realistic about where you want to go, maybe a trailer is the way to go.

The truck is not going to be my daily driver, so having the setup won't be as big a deal as if it was my DD.

Mambo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

The truck is not going to be my daily driver, so having the setup won't be as big a deal as if it was my DD.
In that case I would kit the truck and use a decent ground tent, thereby allowing for a base camp setup if you want to.
Downside of rooftop is that every time you want to go anywhere you are packing up camp to do so.

As said, not very experienced myself, but these are my opinions.

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I am transitioning from ground tent to camper. I am preferring the camper set up as my Wife and I like to have a base camp and explore from there.
So issues with trailer first takes some skill to take down a trail, the bigger the camper so exponentially your skills need to be better to not trash trailer
also turning around on a tight trail sucks
My original plan was to go with a truck topper or god forbid the luxury! a slid in pop top But I am getting older and decades of abusing my body as a Millwright and well a crazy has caused some issues namely bad knees and back.
So for my situation I went from a XJ on 33's locked custom go any where and get back to a 09 1500 Sierra camping hauler for 4 years to now this year with a camper.
Where I go has changed greatly as I age. so the questions you have to ask:
How much mobility in my set up do I need A) are you driving up class 4 trails to camp by a waterfall that no one can get too? B) fire roads get me to secluded spots I like or C) camp grounds
KIds! that will also change the requirements
Ease of set up and take down that was a main thing for us I pull the trailer into our spot and I am set up in 5 minutes
how much "discomfort" are you will to put up with. I used to sleep on a ground sheet under a tarp in the army when i was young. Then I went to foam sleeping pads then to a bed in a bag to now a camper soo you see where that went and it only took me 35 years to progress down that path

Anywho I have rambled on here.
You will get a lot of good information from the folks on this site. I have come across some of the best folks that see the world similar, but not the same, as I do in regards to my hobbies on this site.

Have a great day

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

I am transitioning from ground tent to camper. I am preferring the camper set up as my Wife and I like to have a base camp and explore from there.
So issues with trailer first takes some skill to take down a trail, the bigger the camper so exponentially your skills need to be better to not trash trailer
also turning around on a tight trail sucks
My original plan was to go with a truck topper or god forbid the luxury! a slid in pop top But I am getting older and decades of abusing my body as a Millwright and well a crazy has caused some issues namely bad knees and back.
So for my situation I went from a XJ on 33's locked custom go any where and get back to a 09 1500 Sierra camping hauler for 4 years to now this year with a camper.
Where I go has changed greatly as I age. so the questions you have to ask:
How much mobility in my set up do I need A) are you driving up class 4 trails to camp by a waterfall that no one can get too? B) fire roads get me to secluded spots I like or C) camp grounds
KIds! that will also change the requirements
Ease of set up and take down that was a main thing for us I pull the trailer into our spot and I am set up in 5 minutes
how much "discomfort" are you will to put up with. I used to sleep on a ground sheet under a tarp in the army when i was young. Then I went to foam sleeping pads then to a bed in a bag to now a camper soo you see where that went and it only took me 35 years to progress down that path

Anywho I have rambled on here.
You will get a lot of good information from the folks on this site. I have come across some of the best folks that see the world similar, but not the same, as I do in regards to my hobbies on this site.

Have a great day
All great info and I agree with much of it.

My goal is to experience a lot of different scenarios and over time we will figure out what works the best for us depending on the trip.

I’m 52 and semi retired and my girlfriend, who is 10 years younger, travels a lot for her career, so there will be many trips I’ll take alone and want to be as mobile as possible. Then there will be trips we take together, with friends or the kids, so a different style of camping will take place.

Thanks again!

Jeff Petsche
West Region/Orange County
2018 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
OB #10895
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

Both! I went for a long time with the Roof Top unit and Yes there are down sides to them such as when you setup camp that is where you stay unless you plan to hike or bike both are awesome and when Fishing I would do my darn best to get as close to where we were fishing then take it from there. I tried the Truck Camper deal (full size truck) drop the camper and go from there and that was way too much work and such a pain so out with that. Now we are going back to the Roof Top on the Tacoma and going to start a trailer build ... I know you can buy em already built but the weight of them things! the design I have worked out will allow me to move the roof top tent from truck to trailer and back easy since I will want to take a boat now and then. (pictures of the New truck coming soon) that is as soon as I quit procrastinating about it.....

Lilkuff

Rank 0

Contributor I

I agree. Both is the way to go. My Jeep is fully capable of taking me on solo trips and if my wife and the dogs come I bring the trailer. I use ground tents and although the trailer does have water and power onboard it’s mainly a gear hauler.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

I agree. Both is the way to go. My Jeep is fully capable of taking me on solo trips and if my wife and the dogs come I bring the trailer. I use ground tents and although the trailer does have water and power onboard it’s mainly a gear hauler.

Hmmmmm ok this is where I get into trouble asking this but the part about "if the Wife and Dogs come along" Maybe I'm reading that wrong but should not the Dogs come along every time? ;)

Lilkuff

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hmmmmm ok this is where I get into trouble asking this but the part about "if the Wife and Dogs come along" Maybe I'm reading that wrong but should not the Dogs come along every time? ;)
Well mine does. But he can fit with me in the Jeep. My wife and her dog require the trailer so the dogs are comfortable in the Jeep

Reactions: Will I Am