Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I haven't gotten as far as planning for 'on board storage for trips' in re my rig yet, it's still in the sea trials and fitting out stage. However, I do plan to use vintage storage options to go hand-in-hand with my vintage rig - military storage containers, canvas, metal and wood. However, I am getting ready to refurbish an old military storage trunk that will house roadside repair items, recovery items, extra oil and so on. It is even big enough to hold a small, 3-ton floor jack. I used this thing for this purpose before the rebuild; it has so much storage it was never filled. It's the weird green box in the pic.

Here in the next couple of days I'll be receiving 4, vintage Polish military bread bags that will attach to the galvanized capping the seat backs are against (or get tossed into that box). The hold just about anything for storage. Those are the types of things I'm planning on using.

View attachment 164315

View attachment 164316

Someday, @Correus, I'm going to find, or make, some units like this in various sizes for the hell of it; just to try as a fun challenge and to see how well they work on an adventure.

One as a desk unit like this; another sized to fit available space in both trailer or van. I like how it's all self-contained and used the lid as desk top.

militarycampdesk-wood-04-700.jpeg
militarycampdesk-wood-01-700.jpeg
militarycampdesk-wood-03-700.jpeg

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Someday, @Correus, I'm going to find, or make, some units like this in various sizes for the hell of it; just to try as a fun challenge and to see how well they work on an adventure.

One as a desk unit like this; another sized to fit available space in both trailer or van. I like how it's all self-contained and used the lid as desk top.

View attachment 188700
View attachment 188698
View attachment 188699

Those are nice, but BIG!!! Have you seen the smaller ones?

Do you have one to use as a template, or have blueprints? The Civil War through WWI versions are nice as well.

Take a look at vintage officers mess kits. A mint one recently sold on eBay for $1,650. Would love to have one of those. Last pics are of it.

First pic shows two of the smaller versions.

I will try and get some pics of my other boxes.b3c0908c742316e7877efc01f3e26ef4.jpgScreenshot_20210224-092801_Pinterest.jpg20210224_093712.jpgScreenshot_20210224-094029_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20210224-094037_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20210224-094047_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road - Just checked... the Officers Mess Kit that sold for $1,650 evidently didn't sell, even though it's marked 'SOLD'. It's been relisted.

Crazy.

I've often wondered how much of a market there would be these days for new boxes of the same style construction; some left new looking and some made to look authentically vintage. I have considerable faux-finish and aging skills.

Like the bar set you posted once; that sort of thing and these military functional boxes, too.

No, no templates or patterns, but it would not be difficult at all to do, once seeing something in person for some basic dimensions if I want to be historically accurate. I have sources for a lot of the old hardware corners, hinges, leather, etc.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Crazy.

I've often wondered how much of a market there would be these days for new boxes of the same style construction; some left new looking and some made to look authentically vintage. I have considerable faux-finish and aging skills.

Like the bar set you posted once; that sort of thing and these military functional boxes, too.

No, no templates or patterns, but it would not be difficult at all to do, once seeing something in person for some basic dimensions if I want to be historically accurate. I have sources for a lot of the old hardware corners, hinges, leather, etc.
You have a source for German hardware circa 1900-1920? I need to be building some reproduction crates for a Granatenwerfer 16 and Wurfgranaten.

As to repro military style crates there are a few companies out there that make them, but their focus is on ammo and weapons crates. If you look at the military reenactment world you will find several people who also make a few items like this. They are typically bespoke and über expensive.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You have a source for German hardware circa 1900-1920? I need to be building some reproduction crates for a Granatenwerfer 16 and Wurfgranaten.

As to repro military style crates there are a few companies out there that make them, but their focus is on ammo and weapons crates. If you look at the military reenactment world you will find several people who also make a few items like this. They are typically bespoke and über expensive.
No sources for German trunk/case hardware, but I'll add it to my notes of stuff to keep on the lookout for when perusing antique trunk sources and interesting containers and hardware.

I can imagine repro cases can get expensive, especially if sourcing either antique or repro hardware like corner protectors, hinges, clasps, etc.

All very interesting stuff though. I have a soft spot for interesting and unique containers.

Someday when out that way I'd love to stop by and see what you have going on.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

No sources for German trunk/case hardware, but I'll add it to my notes of stuff to keep on the lookout for when perusing antique trunk sources and interesting containers and hardware.

I can imagine repro cases can get expensive, especially if sourcing either antique or repro hardware like corner protectors, hinges, clasps, etc.

All very interesting stuff though. I have a soft spot for interesting and unique containers.

Someday when out that way I'd love to stop by and see what you have going on.
You and me both. Been collecting such for decades.

There is a company that sells a lot of repro hardware for mainly WWII German boxes, but also have some of the other nations as well. Most of the fittings are the same as those from WWI. The main item I'm having issues finding is the latch for the Granatenwerfer 16 transport crate. I've attached some pics of it - just incase you see one.
If you notice, the latch is like an engine hood one, at least the old school version.

Screenshot_20210226-175554_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-175604_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-175546_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-174715_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-174734_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-174724_Chrome.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You and me both. Been collecting such for decades.

There is a company that sells a lot of repro hardware for mainly WWII German boxes, but also have some of the other nations as well. Most of the fittings are the same as those from WWI. The main item I'm having issues finding is the latch for the Granatenwerfer 16 transport crate. I've attached some pics of it - just incase you see one.
If you notice, the latch is like an engine hood one, at least the old school version.

View attachment 189091

View attachment 189092

View attachment 189093

View attachment 189094

View attachment 189095

View attachment 189096
Interesting. I've seen similar latches on old crates here in Maine at various antique sales and flea markets, but not exactly like that. I should start photographing all old hardware I see in person.

I've saved these images to my "Storage" folder with the prefix "correus-wantsthislatch" or I'll look at them down the road and will think "Cool" but won't make the association. Ha!

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Front Runner WolfPack Boxes are currently what I’m running. Once I’ve got my Prinsu on, I’ll spend the money on some ROAM 83L’s and the organizers. Outback has a lot of space, but it’s easily taken lol

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Interesting. I've seen similar latches on old crates here in Maine at various antique sales and flea markets, but not exactly like that. I should start photographing all old hardware I see in person.

I've saved these images to my "Storage" folder with the prefix "correus-wantsthislatch" or I'll look at them down the road and will think "Cool" but won't make the association. Ha!
Thanks - appreciate it!!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Homebrew deck out of 1515L extrusion, 12mm Baltic Birch. Cargo net for clothes, sleeping bags, tents, etc.

3-68qt Plano totes (camp kitchen, tools/recovery/repair), folding table in bag at right, chairs and misc stack between rear of deck and tailgate and are secured to the back of the deck rail with bindings.

Also 40 L water and if needed 17 gallons of fuel in auxiliary tank, all under an ARE shell on my Gladiator. 1127201556_HDR.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Homebrew deck out of 1515L extrusion, 12mm Baltic Birch. Cargo net for clothes, sleeping bags, tents, etc.

3-68qt Plano totes (camp kitchen, tools/recovery/repair), folding table in bag at right, chairs and misc stack between rear of deck and tailgate and are secured to the back of the deck rail with bindings.

Also 40 L water and if needed 17 gallons of fuel in auxiliary tank, all under an ARE shell on my Gladiator. View attachment 189110
@Ubiety

Reactions: bgenlvtex

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hahaha, @bgenlvtex and I have been chatting about his setup in DMs - very cool! Will review this thread to save him some typing. He does have very good taste in green water jerry cans! :)
There is a place in Yakima that has them on sale right now...

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

View attachment 188700
View attachment 188698
View attachment 188699

A buddy of mine has a desk/drawers like this except all plastic. Large but awesome.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Reactions: M Rose

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
@Road First off you are one organized dude, I love it!! I am looking to buy a house end of the year and I am copying your shelf in my garage, perfect!

I can not believe you get all that in that trailer, the pic makes that trailer look way to small for the gear laid out beside it...WOW

Great job

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Know the answer to neither... I have never been there, but... I want to make a trip mid March...
If you go PM me before and maybe you can check on a couple things...If not I will just stew about it LOL!!!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Know the prices? Will they ship?
@Jim SoG, @M Rose, if meaning the GI jerrys that are shown in this image at the surplus place, those are metal cans, and while still military issue, perhaps, are not the rugged plastic military issue from BuyLCI.com that @bgenlvtex has in his vehicle, or was talking about in this post.

Having used both over the years for fuel and water, I think most folks, for camping and adventure, will find the rugged plastic ones to be more suitable as far as longevity, maintenance, and storage. The pour caps are much different on the metal GI cans. They have a seam running around the middle, which over time is likely to rust.

The metal cans will also be more prone to puncture and pinholes, and will not flex as much in heat, so possibly force water or fuel out. Easy to release the pressure in the plastic jerrys (advised if you keep them exposed on hot days), while trying to do so with the metal cans often gushes water or fuel out unless you're used to the process.

The metal GI cans need gaskets, as well (see sign at the top of the shelves), which eventually need replacing from dry rot or misuse. No gasket, more leakage. The plastic ones do not. In experimenting with the plastic LCI jugs I bought almost four years ago (about the same price then as now) I've found they do not need gaskets or o-rings on any of the three openings. There's an old thread here somewhere on just that.

jerrys-surplus.jpg

Last edited: