Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

If anyone has ever been to Expo West, what is the on site camping like? This would be my first time going. Im checking the FAQ page for some answers but id also want an insiders perspective.

Id be running a ground tent but it makes it seem like the camp spaces are super close together. are pets allowed to walk around with?

Bat21

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pima County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ancona
Member #

I went in 2019...I'll be going again this year. I took a pop up and was pretty much the biggest trailer there! They pack you in pretty tight. The camping is primitive with port a potties available. I didn't see anything shower houses or other running water facilities. I know open flames are not allowed. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom...ended up taking a nice moonlit walk for an hour or so cause I got lost! Not sure about the pets...I can't recall seeing many there, though.

Attachments

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

I went in 2019...I'll be going again this year. I took a pop up and was pretty much the biggest trailer there! They pack you in pretty tight. The camping is primitive with port a potties available. I didn't see anything shower houses or other running water facilities. I know open flames are not allowed. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom...ended up taking a nice moonlit walk for an hour or so cause I got lost! Not sure about the pets...I can't recall seeing many there, though.
ok thats what i was thinking. doesnt seem too bad. Did you just get the weekend pass w/camping? for $190.

They also made it sound like there was no on site parking for just the day, and that you'd HAVE to shuttle in from NAU without parking anywhere on site. is that valid?

Bat21

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ancona
Member #

ok thats what i was thinking. doesnt seem too bad. Did you just get the weekend pass w/camping? for $190.

They also made it sound like there was no on site parking for just the day, and that you'd HAVE to shuttle in from NAU without parking anywhere on site. is that valid?
Yeah...weekend camping pass. I'm not sure about the one day pass parking...sorry.

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

cant tell from any pics ive seen or info i read but can the camp sites accommodate ground tents? like a 4 or 6 man.

Bat21

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ancona
Member #

cant tell from any pics ive seen or info i read but can the camp sites accommodate ground tents? like a 4 or 6 man.
I would say yes. When you get parked, you are able to set up your campsite. You will not be able to rope off large areas, of course...but I think bigger tents will be ok. The only thing is...be prepared. The ground was very uneven and unmaintained...at least where I was set up.

Reactions: OverlandDeparture

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I will be camping for the weekend too. Thanks for the heads up! And I hope to see y'all there too.