Warrenton, VA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Blake
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I tried to set up a rally from the Sheetz in Warrenton, VA on Friday morning. I believe that there are a few takers from other sites as well

Reactions: DirtyPawz

EisenWill

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Luray, VA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Baukhages
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4WIL
I would check with the organizers, but when I went on Thursday last year they wouldn’t let you in to the camp area after 5pm, but would let you camp on the hill outside the expo area. I ended up going down the road to get a hotel room as my set up is a ground tent and I didn’t feel like sleeping on the hillside.

Reactions: DirtyPawz

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nokesville, Prince William County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
I would check with the organizers, but when I went on Thursday last year they wouldn’t let you in to the camp area after 5pm, but would let you camp on the hill outside the expo area. I ended up going down the road to get a hotel room as my set up is a ground tent and I didn’t feel like sleeping on the hillside.
I emailed them. They are allowing people to come in at 0800 on Thursday the 6th

Reactions: Stevwhit

EisenWill

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Luray, VA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Baukhages
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4WIL
What I’m saying is that if you arrived after 5pm, I believe it was, that they would not let you into the Expo grounds until Friday morning. I wasn’t able to leave until late afternoon on Thursday and was not allowed in until Friday morning. They were allowing people to queue up at the check in point and camp on the hillside until they opened up for check in Friday morning. I was a little put out by that because I didn’t see that announced anywhere and would have waited until Friday if I’d known.

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

What I’m saying is that if you arrived after 5pm, I believe it was, that they would not let you into the Expo grounds until Friday morning. I wasn’t able to leave until late afternoon on Thursday and was not allowed in until Friday morning. They were allowing people to queue up at the check in point and camp on the hillside until they opened up for check in Friday morning. I was a little put out by that because I didn’t see that announced anywhere and would have waited until Friday if I’d known.
This happened to me in 2019, I had to sleep in my passenger seat because there wasn't a flat space to set up a tent on that hillside. I am volunteering this year so I emailed the volunteer coordinator to make sure I would be allowed to set up a real camp Thursday night.

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Anyone want to caravan there from the DC area on Thursday Oct 6th? I checked with the Expo and you can get in to set up Camp the day before (Thursday)

I meeting up with a Navy buddy to get our spot around noon on the 6th
What time you leaving out of DC area?
Noon. We can meet up in Warrenton at the Sheetz

Reactions: Stevwhit

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Do they have a cut off time on Thursday arrivals? I'll be leaving out of NJ early in the morning, would hate to travel all that way to not get into the camp until Friday morning
They didn’t say there was a cutoff on time of arrival

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I just contacted one of the event organizers. They said that camping check in is until 6pm on Thursday, and if you show up after that you might not get checked in that night. She said that there will be a place to camp for late arrivals though, but from past experience don't plan on it being a flat camping area.

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
I just contacted one of the event organizers. They said that camping check in is until 6pm on Thursday, and if you show up after that you might not get checked in that night. She said that there will be a place to camp for late arrivals though, but from past experience don't plan on it being a flat camping area.
Thanks for clarifying that!

Stevwhit

Rank V

Member II

River Edge, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Steven
Last Name
White
Member #

Thanks for the info and making the call. Guess I won’t dittle dattle along the way and take the quickest route!!

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

For anyone who is going to show up late Thursday, if it is like previous years, we will all be able to check in and then drive to the camping area together Friday morning, where we should be able to set up next to one another. They don't let you keep spots open for friends who are coming later, so this might be a good chance for any Overland Bound members who want to camp next to each other to come in together. I'm coming by myself, I would rather be with some Overland Bound people than some strangers who may or may not have screaming children or an aggressive dog (both happened last year). If anyone wants to link up let me know.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch