Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well said @Wellspring! It would be kind of cool if those of us that got to meet each other could plan a get together central to our locations in the Spring. Looking at Google Earth, Mount Cheaha in NE Alabama would be a pretty central place or even Cloudland Canyon in NW Georgia. I looked and it would be similar drive for you, @Ohio Valley Overland and me.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Well said @Wellspring! It would be kind of cool if those of us that got to meet each other could plan a get together central to our locations in the Spring. Looking at Google Earth, Mount Cheaha in NE Alabama would be a pretty central place or even Cloudland Canyon in NW Georgia. I looked and it would be similar drive for you, @Ohio Valley Overland and me.
I’m down for sure!…I’ve been wanting to get to the Southeast for a while now…I’ve been thinking about the Georgia Traverse for a bit…

Auspri.6

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fairborn, OH, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Pridgen
Member #

This was my first year at Overland Expo East. I was able to make it over the weekend with my brother. I feel like I missed out on some things. I only really got a chance to look at the vendor stands and road test the broncos and utvs. Did they have anything else? I would like to find a group of people to meet up with next time. I follow a local group in Dayton but no one acted like they knew about this event. Trying to ease my way into some trails with my 4runner and not destroy it due to it being my daily driver.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
This was my first year at Overland Expo East. I was able to make it over the weekend with my brother. I feel like I missed out on some things. I only really got a chance to look at the vendor stands and road test the broncos and utvs. Did they have anything else? I would like to find a group of people to meet up with next time. I follow a local group in Dayton but no one acted like they knew about this event. Trying to ease my way into some trails with my 4runner and not destroy it due to it being my daily driver.
The classes and lectures they have at the Expos are great. I am sure you can find a topic, or two, or three while attending that would be of interest. The driving course is also fun to do with your vehicle. For me, there were so many things of interest that I couldn't do or attend due my already
signed up activities I had pre-planned/signed up for, that's why I look forward to next year to attend. Besides, "Happy Hour' is also a blast meeting new people and getting to know them and their stories. When we get near to the sign up for Overland Expo East for 2022, keep an eye on this site, and you will catch the posts about the show, and how many of us are starting to plan the who, what and wheres of getting together for an Overland Bound group before we enter the grounds so that we can camp in the same area on the Expo campground.

Cheers!

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Well now theirs 3 Expos West of the Mississippi and still just one in the East and none in the Midwest.

Why the Pacific Northwest Is the Perfect Place for Overland Expo’s Newest Show - Overland Expo®
It appears that the greater perceived interest, and even the ability to overland is greater west of the Mississippi due to the vast expanse of lands and places to go that are currently popular (which is baloney, I.M.H.O.). East of the Mississippi has as many interesting places to travel to, and explore, it's just that nobody really covers the topics of places to travel to in the eastern part of the US as much as the publicity and number of published stories and You Tube exposure of the places to go to and visit west of the Mississippi West. I guess people also like to go off road overland and rock crawl on trails far more than travel US state and Federal Forrest Service roads for their "adventure fix".

Another thing, look at the retail market of products that are out there to customize your particular vehicle of choice, and you will see that they are more for hard and difficult terrain rough travel than for anything else: Likewise the videos one watches on You Tube, as well. Grant you, the National Parks system out west is far more vast, and offers more "overland travel off the beaten path" travel than what is available in the East, but still..... Tell me that Dan Grec of the popular series in both You tube, print, and other media "The Road Chose Me" fame is a hard core rock crawler: No, he isn't if you know who he is, what he has accomplished and his philosophy of just that is "overland travel, then he alone pokes holes in the entire definition of just what "Overland Travel" is.

Here's a great You Tube video by Dean Shirley (a very knowledgeable man in the field in his own right) of "Blue Ridge Overland Gear" whom I worked with at the Overland Expo in Asheville in the past, and even took a few of his courses this last Overland Expo East regarding just what is overland travel by some of the many popular people in the field:

Want to learn more, then look up "7P" and Graham Jackson (another great fellow, and experienced) and company.

Finally, "Overland Travel" means many things to many people, and to pigeon hole into one of a few categories of just what it is, how, and where to expedience it doesn't allow for and give the the entire concept, and style of travel any credit for diversity and interest(s).

If the industry cares to blow off the East Coast crowd, then so be it: Their loss.

Just my 2 cents.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
It appears that the greater perceived interest, and even the ability to overland is greater west of the Mississippi due to the vast expanse of lands and places to go that are currently popular (which is baloney, I.M.H.O.)....If the industry cares to blow off the East Coast crowd, then so be it: Their loss...
The west has their drone videos and sweeping music laid on top of epic shots of alpine passes and desert canyons, but the East has a great deal if you look for it. Outfitters like Mill Creek Overland, Apex Overland and Asheville Vehicle Outfitters. Organized trail rides by Asheville Vehicle Outfitters, Mountain State Overland, Blue Ridge Overland Gear, and Northeast Adventure Company. An increasing number of quality videos by Coddiwomple Overland and others. Events like the Smoky Mountain Overland Rally, Appalachian Toyota Roundup, Adventure X Fest. Challenging competitions like the Red Clay Rally. Windrock and Uwharrie. You just need to look around a bit more.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
The west has their drone videos and sweeping music laid on top of epic shots of alpine passes and desert canyons, but the East has a great deal if you look for it. Outfitters like Mill Creek Overland, Apex Overland and Asheville Vehicle Outfitters. Organized trail rides by Asheville Vehicle Outfitters, Mountain State Overland, Blue Ridge Overland Gear, and Northeast Adventure Company. An increasing number of quality videos by Coddiwomple Overland and others. Events like the Smoky Mountain Overland Rally, Appalachian Toyota Roundup, Adventure X Fest. Challenging competitions like the Red Clay Rally. Windrock and Uwharrie. You just need to look around a bit more.
I personally know Eric and the guys at Asheville Vehicle Outfitters: They have done some work on my Tacoma, and I have purchased many items from them (from tires, to recovery gear).

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I really hope we can meet up before hand and drive in and camp together unless the Overland Bound powers at be can get us our own designated area to camp in. My main goal to going to the Expo last year was to meet a lot of Overland Bound members but that never happened. I did enjoying hanging out with the few I did meet!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Hey, send an email to: info@overlandexpo.com if you'd like to see an Overland Expo in the SouthEast. I replied to their email about another Expo in the West and below is there response. Maybe if enough of us email them they'll consider it. Somewhere North of Atlanta in North Georgia or Soutern TN or Western NC would be great making it a lot easier for a lot of us in the SE to attend.

Overland Expo response:

Thank you for sharing your interest for more of our events in the East. We will keep the Southeast region in mind for our future events.

BEST!

Expo Team | Customer Service | Office: +1-317-207-0557 (MST)

Overland Expo Pacific North West // July 8-10, 2022 // Bend, OR - Recap

Overland Expo West // May 20-22, 2022 // Flagstaff, AZ - Recap

Overland Expo Mtn West // Aug 26-28, 2022 // Loveland, CO - Recap

Overland Expo East // Oct 7-9, 2022 // Arrington, VA - Recap

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Hey, send an email to: info@overlandexpo.com if you'd like to see an Overland Expo in the SouthEast. I replied to their email about another Expo in the West and below is there response. Maybe if enough of us email them they'll consider it. Somewhere North of Atlanta in North Georgia or Soutern TN or Western NC would be great making it a lot easier for a lot of us in the SE to attend.

Overland Expo response:

Thank you for sharing your interest for more of our events in the East. We will keep the Southeast region in mind for our future events.

BEST!

Just did the same. A buddy and I went to East this year and did the forest camping and had a great time. Would love to see one a little bit closer....

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Just did the same. A buddy and I went to East this year and did the forest camping and had a great time. Would love to see one a little bit closer....
and here was the reply....

Thank you for reaching out! So glad that you enjoyed your experience! It was such a good turn out in VA! We have had a lot of interest for South East area and is definitely something we will be looking into! Hopefully we will see you again this year in VA!

BEST!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Overland Expo response:

BEST!

This is really good, the Southeast needs to be heard from.
Expo wants to hear from anyone with an idea for a large venue.

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

and here was the reply....

Thank you for reaching out! So glad that you enjoyed your experience! It was such a good turn out in VA! We have had a lot of interest for South East area and is definitely something we will be looking into! Hopefully we will see you again this year in VA!

BEST!
Appears to be scheduled for every other month, except for PNW and MW. Which month would be ideal for the South East?
Depending on location maybe November for north GA or Nov/Dec for FL area. Other thoughts?

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Overland Expo response:

BEST!

This is really good, the Southeast needs to be heard from.
Expo wants to hear from anyone with an idea for a large venue.
Maybe this???

Reactions: TSO_NJ and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Reactions: TSO_NJ

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I think for the SE Expo somewhere like North of Atlanta or East of Nashville would be better. Somewhere around the Mountains, it would be way to hot down in Tampa.