Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Hi, I am thinking I am going to be going to this is anyone else going to be venturing out? If anyone has gone in the past If so I’m curious is it better to camp in the field or upgrade to a site? Do the sites allow fires or still same no fire rule? I wouldn’t be against a convoy of anyone was from the north east. Let me know I know it’s far out but o well.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi, I am thinking I am going to be going to this is anyone else going to be venturing out? If anyone has gone in the past If so I’m curious is it better to camp in the field or upgrade to a site? Do the sites allow fires or still same no fire rule? I wouldn’t be against a convoy of anyone was from the north east. Let me know I know it’s far out but o well.
@Ohio Valley Overland is organizing a OB group camping area at Expo East, you might message him for details

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I want to hit this expo on the way up the east coast in October. Not sure if it will time out right but is a "soft" plan at the moment.

Reactions: Ramman

jeepinjeepin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wallburg, NC, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Webb
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NC4WD, WRTJ904
I’m in a similar boat. Coming up from central NC. Do the wooded sites have tent pads or just tree roots? I’d probably hammock camp anyway. But, if you convoy and check in together would your sites be adjacent, or is it assigned at registration time, or is it first come first pick.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
From reading what they saying on FAQ the grassy Field camping the only way to camp together is to enter together. If you show up at different times you can wait for your party. But no idea about the upgraded camping
@Ohio Valley Overland is a volunteer for Expo so he has permission to get a group camping area. The last event he had 20-30 rigs and still had lots of space.

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Making the drive from Florida. We got the forest camping upgrade but thinking about canceling and doing the OB site instead. Looking for a good place to camp half way to split the drive up. Any ideas?

Contributor I

Duryea, PA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Romanczuk
Member #

Good morning ya'll,
I am new to overlanding and welp this Overland Boarder
I am very interested in attending this event where is more info on location date and such.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Driving up from Asheville NC very early morning on Thursday. Signed up for the Overland Experience to take classes. Don't know where I'll be camping on site, and won't till I get there, but if you want/need to hook up with others, you have to enter the Expo together as a group for campsites next/near to each other.

jmoreno9966

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Clermont, FL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Moreno
Member #

I will be heading up there this year. It will be my second time. I Did the site camping but both did look great regardless. I will be Coming from central FL.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

My wife and I are hoping to go. Not sure about if we're camping or looking for a hotel nearby yet as we're not currently equipped for overland camping. Not to mention that my current tent (which I rather loathe) has been sitting untouched in the garage for about 6 years, so might not be usable anyway. :)

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

So on the whole expo/camping topic, I come bearing questions. My wife and I are still discussing the camping aspect, in part because I'm not sure if I have functional equipment at this point, but also wondering a bit about if it's really as crowded as it tends to look in the videos. Seems like in some of the shots, there'd barely be enough room if you're not using an RTT, is it really that tight? And if there's a group area happening, does that usually give a little more room? We're coming back from a 7 year absence from anything even resembling camping (park campground glamping), so I'm a bit worried.

Anyone feel like giving a good run down of the camping, or if there's a good video that gives an accurate view?

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

So on the whole expo/camping topic, I come bearing questions. My wife and I are still discussing the camping aspect, in part because I'm not sure if I have functional equipment at this point, but also wondering a bit about if it's really as crowded as it tends to look in the videos. Seems like in some of the shots, there'd barely be enough room if you're not using an RTT, is it really that tight? And if there's a group area happening, does that usually give a little more room? We're coming back from a 7 year absence from anything even resembling camping (park campground glamping), so I'm a bit worried.

Anyone feel like giving a good run down of the camping, or if there's a good video that gives an accurate view?
I volunteered at the 2019 event, and camping was definitely crowded. Most groups only had a couple of feet between them, but everyone had enough room for whatever they needed. Some people had trailers with giant rooms for their awnings and giant ground tents. My suggestion is that if you do come, make sure you bring earplugs. Also, I think people who got there early got more generous spots than those that came later when they started running out of space. If you don't want to feel like you are camping at a festival, you can camp at one of the nearby private campgrounds or state parks. You could also try to get a dispersed site in the nearby national forest, but that will likely be crowded too.

But overall, it was a good time. I'm thinking of attending this year and paying for the expensive class package.