Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I think the first step is to simply invite folks to start posts about motorcycle overlanding in otherwise "normal" subforums. That will increase exposure, which is really the only way to increase interest.

Otherwise, in my experience, just adding a motorcycle-specific subsection to the forum will result in a ghost town of 1 or 2 posts per week since nobody will know about it exce0t the few who asked.

All that said, I used to only own a motorcycle (no car), and said motorcycle was pretty much my only means of entertainment. So, while I am now pretty shackled into modern family life, I fully support those who are able to just go and beebopp around on 2 wheels :) .

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

Otherwise, in my experience, just adding a motorcycle-specific subsection to the forum will result in a ghost town of 1 or 2 posts per week since nobody will know about it exce0t the few who asked.
This was my point. If I want to know something moto-specific I will go to ADVRIDER to learn how to work on my bike, see what other people think about a specific bike, what people say about the newest panniers or saddle bags, what tires for what conditions, how to change tires, how to troubleshoot my carb, check out Dave6523's latest photo work, read about cool ride reports through someplace I never heard of, or even read some total newbs first ride report about their experience riding a bike up some dirt road for the first time. My time is precious; I go where I need to find what I want. Slow forums are not so useful. In contrast my goto thread on ADV is the DR650 one. Last I checked it was pushing 8000 pages and turns over 2-3 pages per day.

Dwrld

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Saint Augustine, St. Johns County, Florida, United States
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Gibson
Member #

Well I will say this much I have zero experience and I learned more in this short post than I have in months. There can never be enough information. I frequent this forum as I have an off-road 4Runner. I like to say I graduated to a motorcycle for a more pure experience.

Reactions: Wallygator

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

I like to say I graduated to a motorcycle for a more pure experience.
Cool thought!
IMHO, riding is far more visceral an experience than cruising around in a comfy rig with AC, tunes, and windows that go up or down. On a bike you smell the diesel exhaust from that fancy F350 in front of you, the road kill you just past by and the wet sage after a summer cloud burst in the high desert! You feel the mercury drop as you ride down into a deep canyon. You get your boots wet and muddy as you ford that stream. And dammit, if you leave your windows down (visor) you just may get smacked in the face by a big bug!

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Cool thought!
... On a bike you smell the diesel exhaust from that fancy F350 in front of you, the road kill you just past by and the wet sage after a summer cloud burst in the high desert! ...
Call me crazy, but one of my favorite times to ride is in the rain, primarily because of the smells; that ozone-y, earthy scent (properly called petrichor) is one of my favorite smells.

Reactions: Wallygator

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

Not sure how I missed this!
I just got back from a year long trip from my home in Santa Cruz, California to Ushuia, Argentina then back up to Brasil and over to Chile. I rode on a 2016 KLR650 and put down over 28,000 miles. I rode mostly dirt roads and camped as much as possible.
Check out my instagram @motorcycle.diarrheas its mostly all the cool and fun stuff but it was definitly hard and challenging. I often wanted to quit and missed my home and girlfriend. But im glad I did it and pulled it off!
IMG_20180308_184857_637.jpg IMG_20171217_164200_053.jpg

Attachments

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

My new whip for some scouting expeditions and extra fun while overlanding...2012 TW200...can't wait to get the ol TDub on the trail and see what I can find....

The plan is to carry it on my trailer build (still in progress) to the trail and go from there...

Attachments

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

My new whip for some scouting expeditions and extra fun while overlanding...2012 TW200...can't wait to get the ol TDub on the trail and see what I can find....

The plan is to carry it on my trailer build (still in progress) to the trail and go from there...
Check out "TDubskid" on YouTube!

xterramom

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Plympton, MA, USA
First Name
siobhan
Last Name
Green
Member #

Love the two wheel adventures. There is a trans mass run i have wanted to do . Might try b4 winter ....