Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Q signs are the hardest part for me to get into HF. They make sense for CW or low data rate digital but on SSB can we please use words?
For start.. it's echolink. So we're not even using radios [emoji23]...
That reminds me to try to come in thru the dmr TG, just to check it out. I'll be tx-ing on 70cm just 2-3 meters from my ht to my hotspot. Hahahhahha

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hopefully I won't be bad enough to readily compare with ANYONE! :fearscream: I'm seriously considering doing what Terry did last week and grab a 6 pack on the way home from work in the morning to lube up a bit and relax before we get started. I've been talking on radios my whole adult life in law enforcement with about two years of it as a dispatcher, so I'm not really sure why I'm so wound up. I was told I did pretty good a couple of weeks ago when we did the first net, but since I don't know any of y'all personally, I COULD have been lied too! :flushed: J/K of course... :smiley:
You'll do fine!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Guys. I have to apologize up front. I will not be able to join tonight. We had a roof leak causing a bunch of problems in the house. Working on damage control.
Best of luck with the net. I’m sure it will be awesome!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@12poundtest It was a good one. We talked about APRS with a bit of DPRS thrown in. There will eventually be a Boot Camp article that comes out if it. Sorry about the roof. Living in Hurricane Alley, been there and done that. STAY DRY!

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Great net Shane! Really enjoyed it. Brent, sorry about the net notes, checking in from my phone in a hotel room with my wife and kids. I wasn't sure how it would work out but it was ok.

Reactions: ru108

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

@12poundtest It was a good one. We talked about APRS with a bit of DMRS thrown in. There will eventually be a Boot Camp article that comes out if it. Sorry about the roof. Living in Hurricane Alley, been there and done that. STAY DRY!
I guess that the gentleman that mentioned "DMRS" was confused and on the wrong Net.. What's DMRS? I can't find anything about this..
I've mentioned DPRS, which is the digital version of APRS. But there's no "DMRS"..

73 VA3GHI

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@jeep670 Typo on my part. Fingers didn't hit the right keys , but now corrected. Thanks for the catch!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I guess that the gentleman that mentioned "DMRS" was confused and on the wrong Net.. What's DMRS? I can't find anything about this..
I've mentioned DPRS, which is the digital version of APRS. But there's no "DMRS"..

73 VA3GHI
Will W8ILL hangs out on GNG pretty much all the time. He's a nice guy, I believe he said he's near 80. He can come across a little "get off my lawn" at times but Brent, Ed, Shane and myself I believe have all chatted with him some and he's coming around.

There are some great deals on those FTM400s right now. I'm trying to get a good quality HT right now but that's VERY tempting.

Reactions: ru108

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Will W8ILL hangs out on GNG pretty much all the time. He's a nice guy, I believe he said he's near 80. He can come across a little "get off my lawn" at times but Brent, Ed, Shane and myself I believe have all chatted with him some and he's coming around.

There are some great deals on those FTM400s right now. I'm trying to get a good quality HT right now but that's VERY tempting.
Will is no big deal. Hro has ftm400 for 394. I paid 459 2 months ago and retail is 599 I think Sure do like it. Good net and some good conversation after. Will discuss net notes on script controller conversation later this weekend

Reactions: TerryD and ru108

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Q signs are the hardest part for me to get into HF. They make sense for CW or low data rate digital but on SSB can we please use words?
No one says you have to use Q sings. To be honest I think I've heard more of them tried to be used on the local 2m repeaters than on HF.

Don't be afraid to as someone to to clarify if they throwing at you. There are a few that are just part of the vernacular. You'll pick them up as you here more of them but know one is required to use them.

If we were all doing CW they are a useful shortcut. But they are also an exception in the rules. Generally you are not supposed to use code to mask what you are talking about when on the amateur bands.

Reactions: RyanC

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
No one says you have to use Q sings. To be honest I think I've heard more of them tried to be used on the local 2m repeaters than on HF.

Don't be afraid to as someone to to clarify if they throwing at you. There are a few that are just part of the vernacular. You'll pick them up as you here more of them but know one is required to use them.

If we were all doing CW they are a useful shortcut. But they are also an exception in the rules. Generally you are not supposed to use code to mask what you are talking about when on the amateur bands.
I guess I'm nervous about asking for clarification due to my perceived risk of setting off a grumpy old HAM. I forget I can just spin the dial and away they go.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I guess I'm nervous about asking for clarification due to my perceived risk of setting off a grumpy old HAM. I forget I can just spin the dial and away they go.
Most of the time, you don't have to worry about that. Just explain that you are new and learning and that you're curious. If you catch some grief, don't take it personally. The whole culture of amateur radio has changed since the old timers got their first license and some of them can't get by that even though a lot of the change is their fault. In the 50-60's, you had to find a local ham to Elmer you and help you take your first tests. They'd teach you and help you grow as a ham. Most of the grumpy ones are the ones who won't or can't teach you anything, so don't sweat it.

I'm lucky that I got involved in a good club with plenty of folks who can teach me things. I'm also not afraid to head over to their house in the evening and hang out for a while and learn. We still have a few who get grumpy about it, but I don't take it personally. There's also a few guys who are interested in trying newer advances like FT8, WinLink, APRS, and the digital modes. I always recommend you join a local club and get involved in ham radio, at least a little, as a stand alone hobby. You learn a lot of things that make you a more effective communicator and a good operator rather than just a "radio user". That's one of the reasons that this net came about in the first place was to get folks on the air, comfortable with keying the mic and give them some experience in an actual formal net where protocol is imperative to the effectiveness of the event/incident. You also get introduced to folks like Will who probably have some good knowledge to pass along and a little clout in the hobby.

There are also a lot of "cheat sheets" online you can print and keep handy for times when you run into a lot of things like Q-codes.

Reactions: Dtyo

Ramjet

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Azle
Member #

Joining my local club this week. Have had my license for 4 years and have done nothing with it. Since I travel remotely for work and out of cell coverage would be a dang good idea to get up and running sooner than later. Thanks for the input. Cheers.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'ts Friday already!?
No kidding!

It's my turn tonight! Everyone be sure to join in at 8:30pm EST 5:30 PST. Looking forward to another good turnout.

Also, anyone interested in trying a turn as net control one night, message me and we'll get you set up.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Gonna try to make it in if I can actually get home on time. Butt kick day at work and traffic has been a nightmare all.day.long. Guess we’ll see....