Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

This past summer my father broke the news that two years ago he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. To this point the disease has not progressed very far and his only symptoms is perhaps a little more memory loss than he should have at his age. But knowing how quickly the disease could start effecting his mental state, I want to provide every opportunity for him and my 7 year old son to spend time together. Since we live in Colorado and my dad lives in Arkansas, we don't get to see him but every couple of years. I figured some Overland style trips would be just the thing to help my son make some lifelong memories of his grandfather.

Wanting to make this first trip (hopefully also not the last trip as well) something that would really stand out to my son, I wanted to get us out of Colorado and its mountains. While the backcountry here is truly beautiful and rugged, my son and I are used to it from all of the "Jeep'n" (read rock crawling) trips we have done over the past 4 years. I wanted a location that was easy to reach via Interstates, but relatively remote once we got there and someplace completely different to where he or my dad have been. Death Valley seemed like the perfect place. Neither one of them have really been in a desert before (I spent 3 months in Saudi and 2 straight years in Afghanistan, so deserts are nothing new to me) and should surely make an impression on the little guy.

So, here I am planning my first overland style trip. I've already been asking some questions over on the Portal, but I wanted to share my trip planning and resorts here as well (I just found this site the other day). I'm sure many of the members here are over there as well, it never hurts to get more feedback when planning a trip like this.

All of the timelines and stopping locations are tentative and I'd love to hear opinions from those of you who have experience travelling in DV. For this trip we will be in my Jeep pictured below with a RTT. In addition, I've managed to source a small off road trailer and another RTT for it. This will allow me to carry enough water, fuel and propane (for a propane campfire) to stay in the backcountry longer and give my dad a good place to sleep.

I have planned our itinerary so that we do the most important things to us earlier in the trip. This way if we need more time in some areas, the less important stuff at the end of the trip can fall off the back of the trip. I'd love feedback on my purposed route times. I'm pretty sure my Day two plan is a little ambitious and I might have to stop earlier than planned and add some of it to Day 3 (which seems like it might be a little short). I'm not sure how keen I am on staying overnight at the Saline Valley springs with the little guy, so any suggestions for camps sites between there and dry camp near the Race Track would be greatly apprecitated. Same goes for the area around Ubehebe Crater.

The route:

Overall Plan:

Starting in Beatty, north to Eureka Dunes, over to the Race Track, back up to Ubehebe Crater, down to Badwater and then ending just west of Panamint Springs

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

And as promised, here is the Jeep we will be doing this trip in (no pics of the trailer as I have not picked it up yet).

And here it is in its normal Colorado environment

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

So sorry to hear about your dad. About eight years ago my mother was also diagnosed. My parents were forced to move back from Vancouver Island to central California as my dad began to simplify their lives. Thinking similarly to you, my dad planned our last family vacation (even though we're all adults now) to Russia for a river cruise. This was also something my parents did previously to enjoy their retirement. This trip to Russia was very difficult. Partly because my dad wanted to control everything. To spite being difficult its now something we can look back on now and remember mostly the good memories. And thats what this is all about, providing more opportunities to connect with your father now so you have more good memories later on.

Hang in there.

Reactions: Etoimos

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

So sorry to hear about your dad. About eight years ago my mother was also diagnosed. My parents were forced to move back from Vancouver Island to central California as my dad began to simplify their lives. Thinking similarly to you, my dad planned our last family vacation (even though we're all adults now) to Russia for a river cruise. This was also something my parents did previously to enjoy their retirement. This trip to Russia was very difficult. Partly because my dad wanted to control everything. To spite being difficult its now something we can look back on now and remember mostly the good memories. And thats what this is all about, providing more opportunities to connect with your father now so you have more good memories later on.

Hang in there.
Thanks. So far he is doing fine. I can't even really tell when I talk to him on the phone, but my step-mom says she notices day to day things sometimes. My main goal is to give him and my son time together. They have only been around each other a half dozen times of so :(

Reactions: MBroenkow

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This past summer my father broke the news that two years ago he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. To this point the disease has not progressed very far and his only symptoms is perhaps a little more memory loss than he should have at his age. But knowing how quickly the disease could start effecting his mental state, I want to provide every opportunity for him and my 7 year old son to spend time together. Since we live in Colorado and my dad lives in Arkansas, we don't get to see him but every couple of years. I figured some Overland style trips would be just the thing to help my son make some lifelong memories of his grandfather.
I thought I saw this somewhere else recently but couldn't place it 'til you said you posted at Expedition Portal, too. I think it's marvelous you're going to do this with both son and father. Wish I could do the same, sometimes. It'll be memories for both that they'll always have, and a very cool memory for your son to have as he grows up of three generations exploring together. Pretty cool to be the linchpin making it all happen, I would think.

Death Valley is a pretty magical place, though I don't have current info to offer that would be of much help.

Kudos to you for making these plans man; hope it all comes off the way you hope!

Reactions: T.Shack and Etoimos

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

Have not been through much of DV besides the main roads, but I did drive through Titus Canyon several years ago and really enjoyed it. Saw some big horn sheep. Should be a fun trip with your father and son.

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

That is a worthwhile trip you are planning. I hope you all have a great time.

I think your route is basically fine.
Day 1 seems reasonable.
Day 2 - Steele Pass is a bit tight with some rocky climbs. The trailer will add some difficulty. It looks like you know what you are doing, so it should work, but I want to see pictures! Look up some youtube videos to see what it is like. I would not camp with your son at the springs if other people are there. There are plenty other options. Once you get to Saline Valley Road there are several dead end roads into the canyons on the west side. Beveridge Canyon, for example. Some have old mining cabins to camp at. However, if you make good time, you might make it all the way to Racetrack Valley as planned. Lippencott Mine Road is often billed as difficult or scary, but it is not bad. Lippencott Mine itself is worth a look. The old truck chassis is cool.
Day 3 - That is short as you said. You may need it for Day 2, or you may be able to go further to help out with Day 4. From the Racetrack north, there is heavy washboard.
Day 4 - This looks like a long day, plus you are missing some key sites. Dantes View is the best view of the valley. Near the charcoal kilns is Skidoo, which has a fantastic stamp mill on the side of a hill. Also in that area is the other great view of the valley, Aguereberry Point. At Badwater be sure to walk far out on the salt pan, past the average tourist. The view is awesome with the bright white lake bed and the mountains around.

Near Zabriskie Point is Echo Canyon. It has a nicely preserved mining camp. You can find places to camp out that road.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

That is a worthwhile trip you are planning. I hope you all have a great time.

I think your route is basically fine.
Day 1 seems reasonable.
Day 2 - Steele Pass is a bit tight with some rocky climbs. The trailer will add some difficulty. It looks like you know what you are doing, so it should work, but I want to see pictures! Look up some youtube videos to see what it is like. I would not camp with your son at the springs if other people are there. There are plenty other options. Once you get to Saline Valley Road there are several dead end roads into the canyons on the west side. Beveridge Canyon, for example. Some have old mining cabins to camp at. However, if you make good time, you might make it all the way to Racetrack Valley as planned. Lippencott Mine Road is often billed as difficult or scary, but it is not bad. Lippencott Mine itself is worth a look. The old truck chassis is cool.
Day 3 - That is short as you said. You may need it for Day 2, or you may be able to go further to help out with Day 4. From the Racetrack north, there is heavy washboard.
Day 4 - This looks like a long day, plus you are missing some key sites. Dantes View is the best view of the valley. Near the charcoal kilns is Skidoo, which has a fantastic stamp mill on the side of a hill. Also in that area is the other great view of the valley, Aguereberry Point. At Badwater be sure to walk far out on the salt pan, past the average tourist. The view is awesome with the bright white lake bed and the mountains around.

Near Zabriskie Point is Echo Canyon. It has a nicely preserved mining camp. You can find places to camp out that road.
Thanks for the detailed reply, it's very helpful. I'll look into some of the canyon roads off of Saline Valley Road for a camping spot. I'd love to do Dantes View, but it will be closed during our visit :(

If I was to make the full planned Day 2 leg and have the short Day 3, do you have any suggestions on places to camp on past the Crater that would get us closer to Badwater? I'd prefer to stay out of major campgrounds if possible.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I am experiencing the Alzheimer's journey with my dad now. Unfortunately he is frail and has some significant mobility issues. The good news is that the disease is progressing slowly, so I can still share memories with him (although his memory is focused on when he was a boy/young man now). I did a few fly fishing trips with him before he got ill and those memories will be forever associated with the love of my dad. Good luck on your trek, it will be worth it to share in an adventure. God bless.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I am experiencing the Alzheimer's journey with my dad now. Unfortunately he is frail and has some significant mobility issues. The good news is that the disease is progressing slowly, so I can still share memories with him (although his memory is focused on when he was a boy/young man now). I did a few fly fishing trips with him before he got ill and those memories will be forever associated with the love of my dad. Good luck on your trek, it will be worth it to share in an adventure. God bless.
Sorry to hear that Paul. My dad is kind of young for getting it, but at least that means he is still able bodied until it takes that away from him.

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

Dantes View being closed is unfortunate. I forgot to mention that the Charcoal Kilns are at high elevation. I experienced snow and ice there once. Not the best place to camp this time of year.

Day 3 camping - There are the normal campgrounds, like Texas Spring, near Furnace Creek. I wasn't clear about Echo Canyon in my last message. My point was that it is an option for camping closer to Badwater. The mine on that road is Inyo Mine. https://goo.gl/maps/t2Z6huvhkTH2

Camping rules: https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm

Don't forget to see Devil's Golf Course. I believe the best place to see it is from West Side Road, rather than the designated parking area. https://goo.gl/maps/1vMTfKJpeMU2

20 Mule Team Canyon is scenic: https://goo.gl/maps/RqTJ7wvWTmE2

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Dantes View being closed is unfortunate. I forgot to mention that the Charcoal Kilns are at high elevation. I experienced snow and ice there once. Not the best place to camp this time of year.

Day 3 camping - There are the normal campgrounds, like Texas Spring, near Furnace Creek. I wasn't clear about Echo Canyon in my last message. My point was that it is an option for camping closer to Badwater. The mine on that road is Inyo Mine. https://goo.gl/maps/t2Z6huvhkTH2

Camping rules: https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm

Don't forget to see Devil's Golf Course. I believe the best place to see it is from West Side Road, rather than the designated parking area. https://goo.gl/maps/1vMTfKJpeMU2

20 Mule Team Canyon is scenic: https://goo.gl/maps/RqTJ7wvWTmE2
More great info, thanks! I'm thinking I'll push Day 3 a bit more and camp down Echo Canyon. That should get us better suited to explore that area of the park more. I've also marked Beveridge Canyon as a camping spot if Day 2 takes longer then we want it too. There is also an unnamed road (around Lemoigne Canyon) just north and west of Emigrant Campground that could serve as a camping spot for the Charcoal Kilns area.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Tuki could be interesting, but with the trailer I'll be just over 27' long and your linked map says it has a limit of 25'. Any thoughts on that?

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

The note on the map about vehicle length is for the paved road. They don't want long motorhomes and trucks on that road due to some twisty sections. You should be fine. If anyone asks, you are about 25', right?

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

Here are some images to help your planning.

Racetrack from Lippincott Mine
DV2016.JPG

Devil's Golf Course from West Side Road
Devil's GC.JPG

Inyo Mine
Inyo Mine.JPG

Skidoo Mill
Skidoo Mill.JPG

BigRedDog

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clifford
Member #

You'll have a great time! A couple years ago I took a similar trip through Utah with my father after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. The memories we created will always be special- as will yours!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks again for all the info and warm wishes everyone. We got back from our trip on Sunday evening. I'll have a trip report done up in a couple of days and post the link here.