Rank IV

Traveler III

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

As a member with an older rig, I always do a pre, mid and post trip inspection of my ride from top to bottom. I start from the roof rack and work my way down until I’ve put eyes and hands on anything that may loosen, leak, be chafing, cracking or looks worn, paying close attention to wear parts like ball and CV joints, knuckles,shock mounts and U joints…Post trip inspections are a great time to find the beginnings of a leak, whereas dust accumulating around a loose fitting, leaking hose, seal or gasket surface is a great tattle tale.
In a recent inspection I found a lower ball joint had a torn rubber boot, I’ll be replacing the right and left sides this week, keeping one of the used ones as a trail spare.

Safety Note: Be sure to make sure Your vehicle is in park with the parking brake set and a wheel chock placed behind a wheel before getting under Your rig.
Most importantly, be sure to pick a safe spot to do Your under vehicle inspection taking care not to have Your legs , arms etc. sticking out beyond the overall footprint of the vehicle in order to avoid getting hit by another vehicle pulling into Your driveway or passing by on the street.