Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

First and foremost it’s living space. In dry conditions it’s just nice having additional room because the tent doesn’t pitch in immediately starting at the ground. Essentially it’s more room to stand/sit up. If it’s wet or you end up with condensation build up you’re also less likely to touch the sides because they go straight up. The benefit continues to exist if you’re out in the snow because as it piles up it doesn’t weigh against the sides as badly.

I’ve had a number of tents over the years and the Glacier is far and away the best tent I’ve owned. At $307 on Amazon it’s definitely not cheap but it’s still cheaper than some options.

View attachment 44078 View attachment 44079
I’m digging the setup. I’ll prolly end up with it haha. On another note. Is that a cb antenna? How is your cb mounted, and how do you like the awning. It’s on my list only thing I’m worried about is me being 6’5 and taller then the roof of the crosstrek haha.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I’m digging the setup. I’ll prolly end up with it haha. On another note. Is that a cb antenna? How is your cb mounted, and how do you like the awning. It’s on my list only thing I’m worried about is me being 6’5 and taller then the roof of the crosstrek haha.
Haha. As I said previously it isn’t perfect but if it’s features appeal to you then I can assure you it’s well made and it performs well when conditions are less than favorable.

That is a CB antenna. Have you gone through my build thread? I only ask because I deleted those pics but they should be there. If not there’s a link in my sig. I love my awning and I use it every chance I get. I’m a mere 6’1” and I can stand under mine just fine but my Outback is bigger, lifted, etc..

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Haha. As I said previously it isn’t perfect but if it’s features appeal to you then I can assure you it’s well made and it performs well when conditions are less than favorable.

That is a CB antenna. Have you gone through my build thread? I only ask because I deleted those pics but they should be there. If not there’s a link in my sig. I love my awning and I use it every chance I get. I’m a mere 6’1” and I can stand under mine just fine but my Outback is bigger, lifted, etc..
Awesome I’ll be getting one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Hi Cody. I'm from OR but missed some of the above as I'm out of the rain in HI. Anyway a couple of things:
1. If you have a 2018 the best you can do is a 1-1/2" lift (per Patrick at ADF, unless he's figured it out recently). The previous gens could do a 2", but the 18's have a different suspension. Actually as opposed to spacers you may want to look at springs, since it looks like you plan on adding a lot of weight. Agree with Wawa, weight is a killer on this rig.
2. For some good tech info join the Subaruxv and the ClubCrosstrek forums, if you haven't already. They're free.
3. Frankly the issue with the Crosstrek (and Outback) is it's terrible approach angle (18 degrees as opposed to 42/43 on a stock Jeep, 36 on a stock 4Runner). Lift really doesn't help much, maybe 4-5 degrees.
4. On the skid plates, I modified the front and the mid and moved them up. Was tired of them dragging (especially the front).

Actually, the Crosstrek is a ok long distance vehicle (I have over 40K on mine in a year and a half thru all kinds 0f terrain). Great mileage, unbelievable in snow, but has it's limitations. I also have a Jeep, and use it for the tough stuff.

If you get down my way give me a shout. Take care.

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Hi Cody. I'm from OR but missed some of the above as I'm out of the rain in HI. Anyway a couple of things:
1. If you have a 2018 the best you can do is a 1-1/2" lift (per Patrick at ADF, unless he's figured it out recently). The previous gens could do a 2", but the 18's have a different suspension. Actually as opposed to spacers you may want to look at springs, since it looks like you plan on adding a lot of weight. Agree with Wawa, weight is a killer on this rig.
2. For some good tech info join the Subaruxv and the ClubCrosstrek forums, if you haven't already. They're free.
3. Frankly the issue with the Crosstrek (and Outback) is it's terrible approach angle (18 degrees as opposed to 42/43 on a stock Jeep, 36 on a stock 4Runner). Lift really doesn't help much, maybe 4-5 degrees.
4. On the skid plates, I modified the front and the mid and moved them up. Was tired of them dragging (especially the front).

Actually, the Crosstrek is a ok long distance vehicle (I have over 40K on mine in a year and a half thru all kinds 0f terrain). Great mileage, unbelievable in snow, but has it's limitations. I also have a Jeep, and use it for the tough stuff.

If you get down my way give me a shout. Take care.
Awesome I’ll keep the springs vs spacers in mind. I’ll have to join those forums. And I’m sure I’ll be in Oregon at some point. I plan on going on a week long trip down to crater lake this summer. What kinda gas mileage are you seeing with your lift?

stocksj

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brandon, Florida
First Name
James
Last Name
Stocks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4CWO
Service Branch
USArmy Retired
Welcome to the Subaru Family.
I have an OutbacI'm
I’m gonna build my crosstrek as my overland vehicle. I’ve already got tires and skid plates and plan on a 2” lift to get it to 11” of clearance. My question is what else should be done to outfit it. What area should I focus on more. The kinda overlanding I’ll be doing is year round camping in areas far away from home. Getting out and exploring kinda stuff. I live in Washington so if I could be pointed in the right direction for this build vs a build on a truck. That would be awesome!!
I'm planning on starting with a roof basket soon and then look at upgrading from stock wheels.

carlospalooza

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

NE Los Angeles
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I also have a 2014 Crosstrek. Just wondering what brand lift are you going with? Ive considered ReadyLift and LP but not sure why theres such a price difference (LP much more expensive). I wanna install a quality product but I also know that most expensive doesnt necessarily mean best.