Outback owners who came from Wrangler unlimited...A couple of questions!

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So, I know alot of former JK unlimited owners have moved to outbacks for various reasons. I have a couple of quick questions. 1. What is the rear cargo space in the OB compared to the JKU? and how does it ride off road. Mainly on fireroads, and bumpy trails. Our Patriot is really stiff compared to our JKU when off road. Roads I could do 80-100kph on in the wrangler we manage like 40-50 before it gets really uncomfortable in the pat.

thanks for the information.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I know more about overlanding Outbacks than Jeeps, unfortunately. In terms of the cargo space in the rear, the cargo in the Outback is more generous, considering it can, in some ways, be classified as a sport utility wagon. I know that the Outback has a shorter wheelbase compared to a JKU. With the rear seats up in my Outback, I get 34.3 cubic feet. When I started overlapping my Outback, I started with fire roads and bumpy trails. It tended to soak it up, particularly when I air down my tires. I used to scare Jeeps when I was on the trails. I still surprise Jeep owners when my Outback is on the trails. I followed my brother, who owns a modified Jeep, over rocks, and he was surprised that my wagon could handle going down on rocks.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I know more about overlanding Outbacks than Jeeps, unfortunately. In terms of the cargo space in the rear, the cargo in the Outback is more generous, considering it can, in some ways, be classified as a sport utility wagon. I know that the Outback has a shorter wheelbase compared to a JKU. With the rear seats up in my Outback, I get 34.3 cubic feet. When I started overlapping my Outback, I started with fire roads and bumpy trails. It tended to soak it up, particularly when I air down my tires. I used to scare Jeeps when I was on the trails. I still surprise Jeep owners when my Outback is on the trails. I followed my brother, who owns a modified Jeep, over rocks, and he was surprised that my wagon could handle going down on rocks.
Thanks for the information. We are shopping now, I have narrowed my choices to either a new Nissan rouge midnight edition, or the base model outback. Both are within the same price range, have similar features inside and tick most of the boxes for us. Fuel efficient, with generous cargo space, AWD with moderate lifts available, comfortable interiors, and good warranty. Both have CVT which I personally hate, but rigs that dont like the Bronco Sport are overpriced, and the Jeep (anything) are completely unreliable at this point. I do not trust a Chrysler / fiat whatever they are called no further than I can throw it at this point.

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
I've recently switched over to a BH Outback (99-04 model) and it's really solid on rough roads and the remote tracks that I tend to gravitate towards. Spacious enough for my wife and I to sleep in while camping together, and enough space for us, our two kids. Not quite enough room for all of our gear, but that's why they come with roof racks.

I followed your Patriot build, and they're a lot like that. I'd say that an OB might be a little more efficient in terms of interior space usage and offer better clearance.

Personally, the Outback is the best of their lineup. It's got decent cargo space, great ground clearance, and a solid suspension that keeps it pretty firmly planted on the road. And don't worry about the Subi CVT. They're rock-solid transmissions and as long as they're serviced regularly they seem to hold their own. Subaru has been working on those transmissions since the mid-eighties with the Justy and they're not the unreliable box of bolts that Nissan has foisted off on us.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I've recently switched over to a BH Outback (99-04 model) and it's really solid on rough roads and the remote tracks that I tend to gravitate towards. Spacious enough for my wife and I to sleep in while camping together, and enough space for us, our two kids. Not quite enough room for all of our gear, but that's why they come with roof racks.

I followed your Patriot build, and they're a lot like that. I'd say that an OB might be a little more efficient in terms of interior space usage and offer better clearance.

Personally, the Outback is the best of their lineup. It's got decent cargo space, great ground clearance, and a solid suspension that keeps it pretty firmly planted on the road. And don't worry about the Subi CVT. They're rock-solid transmissions and as long as they're serviced regularly they seem to hold their own. Subaru has been working on those transmissions since the mid-eighties with the Justy and they're not the unreliable box of bolts that Nissan has foisted off on us.
Yeah, CVTs for the most part are garbage. I have a 2003 audi A4 v6 with one and it's giving me fits. I think its just a fluid and reprogram issue. The Jatco garbage is just that. Garbage. The Rogue is a really nice vehicle but I would not trust driving it for more than 20k before trading it for a new one. I can't imagine one with a lift, some nice tires and using it in the back country.

But I do agree the Subaru version is stout and well designed. Keep the fluids fresh and it goes for about 150k before getting the solenoids replaced. Around a 2000 dollar job once every 5 years, that's not bad.

Reactions: Wildcat-01