Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
 We are in the middle of a two-week road trip, and we pulled over on a empty area off of the 101 in Oregon miles from town not a soul in sight, we packed up all of our stuff inside the cab of the truck to get a couple hours of sleep in the bed of our truck. But our ice chest doesn’t fit inside the truck so it had to go outside of the truck. I wedged it between the truck and the guard rail. This is the last ditch effort to get a couple hours of sleep. We have tried every campground around with no luck. And there were no for service roads to be found. So we just decided to pull over and try to get a couple hours of sleep before continuing down the coast. So we Passed out around 1130 just to wake up at 3 o’clock in the morning with somebody peering into the side of the camper shell at me! I jumped up and asked what the hell are you doing and the guy’s response was getting something to eat. He had rated our ice chest and ran off with a bunch of our food. The situation could’ve been so much worse but waking up to having someone staring down at you. Is it pretty terrifying situation.

98_GVitara_Adventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vizela, Portugal
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Caldas
Member #

We are in the middle of a two-week road trip, and we pulled over on a empty area off of the 101 in Oregon miles from town not a soul in sight, we packed up all of our stuff inside the cab of the truck to get a couple hours of sleep in the bed of our truck. But our ice chest doesn’t fit inside the truck so it had to go outside of the truck. I wedged it between the truck and the guard rail. This is the last ditch effort to get a couple hours of sleep. We have tried every campground around with no luck. And there were no for service roads to be found. So we just decided to pull over and try to get a couple hours of sleep before continuing down the coast. So we Passed out around 1130 just to wake up at 3 o’clock in the morning with somebody peering into the side of the camper shell at me! I jumped up and asked what the hell are you doing and the guy’s response was getting something to eat. He had rated our ice chest and ran off with a bunch of our food. The situation could’ve been so much worse but waking up to having someone staring down at you. Is it pretty terrifying situation.
Try to have always a safe journey.
If you are doing wild camping be sure that you are not there alone (only truck)
Or of you are alone try to find a remote place preferably where will be difficult to some one get there walking.
Hope you can have a rest of a safe road trip.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, looks like folk are getting more brazen these days. luckily he didnt vandalize your rig or try to rob and hurt you.
glad you survived that situation with only food taken....

you said "we", so i guess you had your wife with you? hopefully that didnt freak her out bad enough for her to not want to camp anymore.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
yeah, looks like folk are getting more brazen these days. luckily he didnt vandalize your rig or try to rob and hurt you.
glad you survived that situation with only food taken....

you said "we", so i guess you had your wife with you? hopefully that didnt freak her out bad enough for her to not want to camp anymore.
Actually she was the calm one. She said lucky for us he was just looking for food and lucky for him we didn’t escalate or over react. It could have been worse for both of us lol she is wise but I was in full flight or fight mood..

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Oh man, I feel for you guys. That would shake me to the core. Something that has always terrified me: having someone peering over me, no matter where. Glad you are unharmed. Look at it this way, you just helped feed someone, for what it's worth atleast lol
My wife’s words exactly he needed it more than we did…

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
crime is certainly on the rise, so probably a good idea for everyone to start traveling with a 2nd wallet...
keep the main wallet with license and credit cards hidden and have a 2nd wallet with only cash in it to give to folk who want what you have. give them a wallet with cash and they'll leave and you just avoided getting shot or stabbed by giving them your wallet and you wont be waiting in line for hours at the DVM when you get back home trying to get a new license.

just think of it as an added "travel tax"

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Gotta admire his honesty. Sorry this happened. It could have been much worse. Our experiences, good and bad, are what make us who we are. It'll be a funny campfire story in no time.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

That's why I love large dogs.

They know how to, and will, protect food.
My Thundah Beagle, Scout, is a full on hunt-stock Beagle we have as a pet. He is less than 30 pounds but is all muscle and determination. He pulls like a 60 pounder. He is 15 or 16 inches tall at the withers but his bay and bark is absolutely booming! And he doesn't growl first as a warning. That's why I call him the Thundah Beagle. Shakes me out of my seat sometimes. He would never stand to let man nor beast anywhere near us without the loudest, come-from-within-the-whole-body, raise-his-head- to-the-sky projected bark you ever heard.

Hopefully that would scare the guy away or wake me to action or both, in a situation like that.

Glad the guy was only looking for food. Glad you guys are ok. Like others have said. Maybe he needed it

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

crime is certainly on the rise, so probably a good idea for everyone to start traveling with a 2nd wallet...
keep the main wallet with license and credit cards hidden and have a 2nd wallet with only cash in it to give to folk who want what you have. give them a wallet with cash and they'll leave and you just avoided getting shot or stabbed by giving them your wallet and you wont be waiting in line for hours at the DVM when you get back home trying to get a new license.

I never keep money in my wallet. Never. I have my credit cards and ID's in a slim wallet in my front pocket or a zipped side pocket in hiking pants. My money - when I carry cash at all - is divided up. Some folded up in a pocket, some in another pocket, some maybe elsewhere on my person, maybe in a locked part of the truck...so, there is some "robbery money." Though over been fortunate never to have been successfully robbed at gun or knifepoint.

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

So your “biggest nightmare” is camping on a major road (isn’t 101 the Oregon Coast Hwy?) and having someone look in the window and raid your cooler, which you left outside? I’m not sure how the couple that was in a remote forest not too far from here a few months ago and stopped to help someone with car trouble, only to have one of them be shot and killed, would be described if your incident is a “nightmare.”

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

So your “biggest nightmare” is camping on a major road (isn’t 101 the Oregon Coast Hwy?) and having someone look in the window and raid your cooler, which you left outside? I’m not sure how the couple that was in a remote forest not too far from here a few months ago and stopped to help someone with car trouble, only to have one of them be shot and killed, would be described if your incident is a “nightmare.”
Yeah, I read about that. THAT'S The worst nightmare. I focused on the issue, less than the severity as things turns out. A little scary I guess

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
You are leading a good life if having some food stolen is your worst nightmare. Congrats.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Planning? Sure, I often write about how loose our planning is, but that’s when we are way off any beaten path. On the paved road portion of our treks planning is the prime directive and I would never, not ever, just pull off the side of a highway to sleep. It’s dangerous, for a whole lot more reasons than being bothered by someone that is hungry or wanting to rob us. You could have easily been rear ended by any number of fatigued drivers passing by. It just isn’t safe. Did I mention planning? You got off lucky.

Reactions: Arailt

Contributor III

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Gilbert
This is so scary.... please try to be safe on the journey... Do not spend longer time at such remote areas. The main reason if the situation get worse nobody would be there either to land you a helping hand

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
This is so scary.... please try to be safe on the journey... Do not spend longer time at such remote areas. The main reason if the situation get worse nobody would be there either to land you a helping hand
What? They were not in a “remote” area. Remote areas are much safer than anywhere else in this country.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

keep the main wallet with license and credit cards hidden and have a 2nd wallet with only cash in it to give to folk who want what you have. give them a wallet with cash and they'll leave

With all due respect, that ain't happening. I'm not gonna "pay" him to rob me.

S.O.B. is gonna "earn" my money. He'd better have more than a knife, and be ready and willing to use it or the crows will be eating his brains.

Barfights were a pastime, wasn't THAT long ago...

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas

Definitely not a good idea.

After you voluntarily give up your wallet, what do you do when he wants your car keys? Your daughter?

Only thing I am voluntarily giving up are Hollow Points.