Paasche

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Buenrostro
I checked and double checked and even though I was told we were free all weekend-turns out we have commitment Sunday evening-But I'm thinking we would just leave early Sunday-by 9am since we are in San Jose

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Hey folks,

If you are looking to harvest a tree, you'll need a tree permit from Mendocino NF. Permits are running low, but you can reserve one over the phone at Upper Lake Grocery 707-275-4018. I was able to reserve 3 permits, so if anyone would like one, you can pay me $10 cash at camp, or Venmo the money to me. It's unclear if we'll be harvesting a tree this year, as it's difficult to transport a tree with our roof top tent.

In terms of the camping location, the decision will be made no later than Wednesday next week. If the weather holds, our most likely location will be at Bowery Flat near Upper Nye Campground. Option 2 is Bear Creek campground at lower elevation, and the third option would be on the eel river near Lake Pillsbury if we get hit with a big storm, making the Rice Fork dangerous to cross (you have to cross rice fork to reach both Bear Creek and Bowery Flat). I'll post locations along with GPX files on how to reach camp for folks coming from Sac and the Bay Area by Weds.

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Hey folks,

I've posted a Gaia GPS link for directions to camp, which will be at Bear Creek Campground. Please note, when you're about 3-4 miles out from camp, you will cross the Rice Fork of the eel river. Water levels this time of year are typically 12-18", so nothing a stock 4x4 can't easily cross. You should come prepared for sub-freezing temperatures at night time, and if you've got access to firewood-- bring it!! We may end up keeping the fire alive through the daylight hours depending on temperatures.

I'll be departing from Marin County around 3:30 pm, so likely won't be arriving until sometime around 8pm. You're certainly welcome to arrive before then, and stake out the best sites for the group! Given the time of year, I'd be surprise if we have more than 1-2 other people in camp-- but a good chance it'll just be us!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Sounds like a fun trip and I love that campground, but I'm going to a Ham Cram that weekend in Stockton. Not quite as exciting I'm sure, but it will be nice to get that out of the way.

Harvey's XJ

Rank II

Enthusiast II

napa, ca
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Harvey
ah man, have a commitment this weekend, dang! kids would have loved this. Have to remember for next year. please do this again!! thanks enjoy

Shane B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Martinez, Ca
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Berry
Member #

That sounds like a great trip.
Work always gets in the way everybody have a fun safe time. 

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Glad to have new folks joining like @Gryf and @CareyLando !

I just got word that the Rice Fork is running deeper than expected this time of year-- around 2 feet. If you've got a stock 4x4, you'll be fine (a friend informed me multiple stock 4x4s made the crossing with no issue last weekend). If you're in an AWD vehicle like a Subaru or RAV4, we recommend coming in through Stonyford and M10 from the east off of I5 near Maxwell. The Rally Point info only contains the gpx that crosses the rice fork, but I've posted both gpx routes (4x4 and AWD options) in the original forum post.

Last edited:
Reactions: CareyLando

CareyLando

Rank I

Contributor III

Woodacre, CA, USA
First Name
Carey
Last Name
Lando
Service Branch
OES
Glad to have new folks joining like @Gryf and @CareyLando !

I just got word that the Rice Fork is running deeper than expected this time of year-- around 2 feet. If you've got a stock 4x4, you'll be fine (a friend informed me multiple stock 4x4s made the crossing with no issue last weekend). If you're in an AWD vehicle like a Subaru or RAV4, we recommend coming in through Stonyford and M10 from the east off of I5 near Maxwell. The Rally Point info only contains the gpx that crosses the rice fork, but I've posted both gpx routes (4x4 and AWD options) in the original forum post.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the info about the river. I'll try to come in our grey Ram 1500 to do the crossing, otherwise will take the other route if I'm in the Subaru. Maps and routes downloaded!

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the info about the river. I'll try to come in our grey Ram 1500 to do the crossing, otherwise will take the other route if I'm in the Subaru. Maps and routes downloaded!
Are you Angie's friend / rally competition? If so, you passed me this afternoon when driving over white hill while I was on a quick afternoon ride. :)

VirajH2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Rajiv
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Hello i would love to join but took out my Rooftop tent. (waiting for my Gobi Rack and KC Hilites to show up). sharing a pics of the process.
Is it OK if i drive up for Saturday day trip only. Will be spending few hours and will return. Just my 5 year old son and me. Travelling from Vacaville. If anyone is planning on doing the same let me know. I can take either route.
The plan may change if i have fog in Vacaville Saturday morning. We have been hit with on and off dense fog for the last few weeks. If anyone is planning on taking Maxwell I-5 route would recommend looking at forecast for Fog.

Roof Top tent Remove.jpg

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

@VirajH2 absolutely! I expect a decent number of folks will be out harvesting Christmas trees or exploring the trails, so if you want to go exploring I'd recommend trying to arrive before 10:00 a.m.

BogdanYZ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Francisco
Member #

Are there any updates on this? Do we have an exact location for the camp spot? And where should we buy our permits? Coming up with 1 rig, 3 people.

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Are there any updates on this? Do we have an exact location for the camp spot? And where should we buy our permits? Coming up with 1 rig, 3 people.
All of the info is posted in the original forum post (rally point event doesn't have the gpx files as you probably noticed).

Reactions: BogdanYZ