Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My Family worked the mines in some of the rough mining camps during the Great Depression. My grandfather told numerous stories about running the mail and supplies out to his brothers in the Southern Blue Mountains in backboards and sleighs.
Later years my dad visited a lot of the abandoned mines and told of the neat finds he and his sister found like vials of mercury, gold, silver, and all kinds of ancient machinery.
I have had a fascination with gold mines, and after being asked to take my wife’s best friend on a tour of a local ghost town, I decided to put together a trail system of the lost mining towns of Oregon.

Attachments

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

My Family worked the mines in some of the rough mining camps during the Great Depression. My grandfather told numerous stories about running the mail and supplies out to his brothers in the Southern Blue Mountains in backboards and sleighs.
Later years my dad visited a lot of the abandoned mines and told of the neat finds he and his sister found like vials of mercury, gold, silver, and all kinds of ancient machinery.
I have had a fascination with gold mines, and after being asked to take my wife’s best friend on a tour of a local ghost town, I decided to put together a trail system of the lost mining towns of Oregon.
This sounds like a blast. Used to do ghost town hunting in Colorado when I was young.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This sounds like a blast. Used to do ghost town hunting in Colorado when I was young.
I’m going to put together a few other ghost town hunts... all themed... this is just the Mining Ghost Towns. Tomorrow I’ll do the logging ghost towns of Oregon.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Are these trips you're planning? Or are you just posting these for other people to do on their own?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Are these trips you're planning? Or are you just posting these for other people to do on their own?
I’m in the planning process for this trip, or a combination tour... still in the research phase. Oregon has more Ghost Towns than any other state, some actual ghost towns, and others are supported only by the tourism industry... I’m trying to put together a complete trail guide to the Oregon Ghost Towns... with that said, I’m trying to put this into a trip for the second to last week in August. I’ll talk to you more about it off line tomorrow when I see you.

Reactions: reaver

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Attachments

Greg Rich

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Talent, Oregon
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KAI
This sounds like it will be a very interesting trip. I don't know if it would work out time-wise but I'd be interested in joining a trip. Thanks for making all the info available.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This sounds like it will be a very interesting trip. I don't know if it would work out time-wise but I'd be interested in joining a trip. Thanks for making all the info available.
Looks like I have to push out the trip until next summer/early fall...Adventure Machine is out of commission... but I can put up a rally point if people are interested for this year.