Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Still nothing... Ali and I were planning something for October, without giving too ,much away that's on hold now as well due to all the fires and subsequent closures. We'll keep you posted on our social accounts and our website. Riggedfordirt.com/events.

S

softroad.406

Has anyone hit Maple Springs? Thinking of taking a couple friends up there.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Has anyone hit Maple Springs? Thinking of taking a couple friends up there.
Still closed due to the fire closures the took place in the latter half of last month. Here's is a link showing the current state of the gates/trails. You can see Maple Springs is closed as are all the other access points to Santiago Peak and Main Divide.
Cleveland National Forest - Alerts & Notices

S

softroad.406

Still closed due to the fire closures the took place in the latter half of last month. Here's is a link showing the current state of the gates/trails. You can see Maple Springs is closed as are all the other access points to Santiago Peak and Main Divide.
I emailed the ranger, it opens tomorrow morning. Have you done the trail before? I've heard it is pretty easy

Reactions: PonoAdventures

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I emailed the ranger, it opens tomorrow morning. Have you done the trail before? I've heard it is pretty easy
That's great news. Yes, I have done the trail many times. It's all pretty easy. There some extra credit stuff but the trail itself is easy.

Reactions: softroad.406

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Maple springs is very easy. I use that route to get to the Main Divide since I live in that area. You don’t even need to air down except for comfort.

I usually air down because main divide can be rocky in certain sections.

My advice is to take corners carefully. There as some people who go fast on this trail plus it’s popular with bikers and hikers.

Reactions: softroad.406
S

softroad.406

Maple springs is very easy. I use that route to get to the Main Divide since I live in that area. You don’t even need to air down except for comfort.

I usually air down because main divide can be rocky in certain sections.

My advice is to take corners carefully. There as some people who go fast on this trail plus it’s popular with bikers and hikers.
any other trails you recommend, that are fairly easy, on the trabuco canyon area?

Reactions: PonoAdventures

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

any other trails you recommend, that are fairly easy, on the trabuco canyon area?
Not really. That is really the only one that I've been on other than Holy Jims but I don't think that is open. You have to drive up to Big Bear and that area for some good ones. I recommend Cleghorn Trail if you want to make the drive. You can pretty much stay on the "fire" road and also challenge yourself on the off shoots if you really want.

S

softroad.406

Just did maple springs and some other stuff up there today. Pretty fun and dusty. I will take a look at cleghorn.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Any trips planned in the future besides the meet ups now that covid is slowing down/going away/gone/insert political words....?
Nothing at the moment except “business” trips for the podcast. We’re beginning to discuss to larger group overnight camping trips and such but still in the planning phases.

Reactions: David S and Mrcodes