Opinions wanted on practicality of towing a trailer.

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
dude
Hello,
I'm new here and have limited experience. I have been camping 3 or 4 times a year since High School (early 90's). My buddies and I had access to a mid 80's Toyota SR5 (not mine) that we'd take camping with a tarp, sleeping bags, a pack of hot dogs and some packs of mustard...and maybe some beer. For recovery equipment we had a Come-A-Long and an Axe. The three of us had a blast camping and driving the privet trails on a family friend's land in southeast Ohio. My other buddy acquired a POS jeep that was owned by about 3 different guys in high school. You had to be careful not to let your feet go through the holes in the floorboard. We beat the crap out of those vehicles and tested their limits as dumb young guy do. I was happy to take advantage of the fact that I had no skin in the game. I was amazed to see what they were willing to do with these things, especially my buddy driving his Dad's SR5. They both were very generous with letting me drive the rigs as well. Once the jeep died and my Buddies Father removed access to the truck after a broken windshield (basketball related) and dinged up finder (trial related), camping continued without the offroad fun. We did graduate from the lean-to to some bougee Coleman tents however.

Fast forward a few years later and a couple different friends got brand new jeeps. They had no desire to bet the crap out of them but wanted to hit some trails. I was invited to come along. I watched and helped them slowly mod their jeeps into more capable offroad trail rigs. We would tent camp around Ohio but found the trails are limited. As we started venturing to neighboring states and harder trails in the mid-west, they would again decide to add more lift, bigger tires, etc. I would help them install their new parts as I was the most mechanically inclined. Then they got into rock crawling. ROCKCRAWLING! What the hell is rock crawling? I said. Why don't you just drive faster and raise hell like me and the other boys used to do? It's great fun I said. They rightfully reminded me of the cost of their rigs and the fact they didn't want to destroy them with mud holes and bouncing off trees. Their logic was rock crawling was slower and more refined and therefor easier on the rigs. So slowly we would remove their second set of mods and add more "capable" mods. We would venture out east, west and hit jeep jamborees, Leadville Co, Holy Cross and Moab (sadly I missed that last one). I was well aware and grateful for the fact that I had no skin in the game and yet blessed enough to experience the time in the garage, camping and even some drive time.

As a side note: I also watched them loose the daily drivability of their jeeps and noted the talk of trailering the rigs instead of driving them to far away destinations. I also told myself if I ever get an offroad rig it will be a used beater and only build it once.

Fast forward 15-years and now I have a wife and two daughters (10 & 8). I have a small business and limited time for hobbies. I've also realized I have limited time to make memories with my family. So, I bought a 2-door Bronco with a manual transmission, factory 35'' tires and front and rear lockers (sasquatch package) that I use primarily for work. LET'S GO CAMPING!....Shoot, where do I put everything?

My first thought was buying a small trailer that is capable to being towed "off road". I was SHOCKED at the prices first of all. I've found some older M416 trailers (still shocked at those prices). I'm not yet totally there but am stating to except "the price is the price". Then I started wondering the practicality of actually taking a trailer on trails? Then started thinking about base camping and security of our crap from people and weather. Then I started thinking about Smitty-built Scouts and turtleback type trailers. Then started learning about the capabilities and limitations of independent suspension rigs (I have come to the conclusion to try and keep thigs as stock as possible...hopefully) Then started learning about Overlanding. Then started thinking of setting up camp every night just getting to national parks let alone while there. Then started thinking about "off-road" teardrops. Yet again I started thinking about how practical it is to actually drag a trailer on trails the Bronco can handle on its own (not crazily moded up). Then I started wondering do we really need a so called "Off-Road" teardrop if nobody truly drags them along on "moderately hard" trails? Should I just get a "normal" teardrop? Are we locked into base camping anyway with any trailer? If we hook up with other overlanders are they annoyed by someone dragging a trailer along? My goal was to not weigh down the Bronco with roof racks, RTT, hitch racks or swing out bumpers and then suspension upgrades. IMO all that weight makes the vehicle less capable both offroad and as a daily...but is "this is the way"?

My goal is to take the family out camping (which we do with normal family 3 row car). The boiled down issue is I want to now enjoy the capabilities of the Bronco on trails here on the "east coast / mid-west" and still fit all the stuff. I also would like to take a once or twice a year 7-10day overlanding trip with the family to see our country and parks and maybe offroad a bit too. I am also starting to realize the advantages of the quick set-up times Overlanders enjoy. I have "analyses paralysis" big time!

I guess I'm asking what experienced folks think? What limitations/advantages can I expect when towing these 4-types of trailers I'm kicking around (both "off-roading" and "Overlanding")?
1. M416 type trailer with fabricated secured lid.
2. Smitty built Scout with possibly a larger hardshell RTT
3. A proper "off-road" teardrop with a RTT
4. A cheaper mainstream teardrop. (which I may expect to get beat up a bit).

Is towing even a good idea? Is it generally accepted knowledge towing greatly limits you when overlanding in the USA?

Thank you for reading my ramblings and I appreciate your advice or thoughts. I know these are open ended questions. If this topic is beaten to death please point me to some good threads.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

Sounds like you've given this a lot of thought already. There's plenty of great people here with good advice, but ultimately, the choice is yours. Here is a good place to start: Overland Trailers

We normally camp with a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas ground tent. It's awesome and we love it, but it's very cumbersome to haul around for shorter (less than a week) trips. Thus, we started researching other options. We looked into RTT's, but they just won't work for our configuration and the need to constantly install/remove/store one. I agree that although you can get some pre-built campers at reasonable prices, really good ones are crazy expensive.

A possible option is the Runaway Camper: Home | Runaway Campers LLC

Another alternative is this new trailer-less camper: The HitchHiker Camper

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I've been in your situation. Heck, I am currently living the situation!

In the USA there is no way a trailer will limit your overlanding. The difficulty for providing any feedback is determining what "overlanding" means to you. If you are interested in running bucket list trails you can unhitch the trailer, run the trail and hook the trailer up when done. If you are most interested in spending a week or more on dirt and not focusing on popular obstacles or trails, then a trailer wouldn't be a hinderance at all.

One thing is certain, most of us take waaaaay too much crap with us when traveling... with or without a trailer.

I wasn't sure if I would like traveling with a trailer so I built a small capable trailer for a fraction of what a manufactured trailer would cost. (Project 'Yeller' Trailer Build) Turns out I really like the trailer and am considering some sort of 'live in' trailer, but I cannot stomach the asking prices for most of them.

Over the past few years I have learned that the trailer doesn't really get in the way on the road/trail. Having the ability to unhitch and remove a lot of weight from the vehicle while leaving a basecamp set up for a day or so is a HUGE benefit, especially if you want to run a few 'bucket list trails'. I wouldn't want to run the Escalator on Hells Revenge with a vehicle FULL of a weeks worth of camping gear. Some of trails might prohibit trailers. Heck, even some overlooks in National Parks prohibit bringing in a trailer. A trailer is really obnoxious when you have to turn around on a narrow one lane road, but manageable if the trailer is small.

Even though I love the trailer for travel with companionship, if I am solo I leave the trailer at home and bring a hammock.

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
dude
@roots66, Thank you. Oddly enough, I just discovered the Runaway Camper folk 2-days ago. The frame looks great compared to most and I like the fact it has a composite body. I have not come across the "the HitchHiker Camper" folks at all. My google skills need work because I specifically searched for DYI trailer kits and never found this. Both of these are great options and are on the list. Thank you.

Reactions: roots66

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
dude
@KonzaLander Thank you for your insight. It's helping me justifying my thinking. Info like this is great to hear. I have always been a minimalist when it comes to car camping and backpacking. I haven't gone in years but when I did backpack, I loved my Hammock and keeping the weight down as much as possible. Now with kids and a wife our needs have changed which means more stuff! Which I'm happy to accommodate within reason if it means the kiddos and the wife enjoy these adventures dear old Dad is dragging them along on. I will check out your trailer build.
Thank you

Reactions: KonzaLander

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hello,
I'm new here and have limited experience. I have been camping 3 or 4 times a year since High School (early 90's). My buddies and I had access to a mid 80's Toyota SR5 (not mine) that we'd take camping with a tarp, sleeping bags, a pack of hot dogs and some packs of mustard...and maybe some beer. For recovery equipment we had a Come-A-Long and an Axe. The three of us had a blast camping and driving the privet trails on a family friend's land in southeast Ohio. My other buddy acquired a POS jeep that was owned by about 3 different guys in high school. You had to be careful not to let your feet go through the holes in the floorboard. We beat the crap out of those vehicles and tested their limits as dumb young guy do. I was happy to take advantage of the fact that I had no skin in the game. I was amazed to see what they were willing to do with these things, especially my buddy driving his Dad's SR5. They both were very generous with letting me drive the rigs as well. Once the jeep died and my Buddies Father removed access to the truck after a broken windshield (basketball related) and dinged up finder (trial related), camping continued without the offroad fun. We did graduate from the lean-to to some bougee Coleman tents however.

Fast forward a few years later and a couple different friends got brand new jeeps. They had no desire to bet the crap out of them but wanted to hit some trails. I was invited to come along. I watched and helped them slowly mod their jeeps into more capable offroad trail rigs. We would tent camp around Ohio but found the trails are limited. As we started venturing to neighboring states and harder trails in the mid-west, they would again decide to add more lift, bigger tires, etc. I would help them install their new parts as I was the most mechanically inclined. Then they got into rock crawling. ROCKCRAWLING! What the hell is rock crawling? I said. Why don't you just drive faster and raise hell like me and the other boys used to do? It's great fun I said. They rightfully reminded me of the cost of their rigs and the fact they didn't want to destroy them with mud holes and bouncing off trees. Their logic was rock crawling was slower and more refined and therefor easier on the rigs. So slowly we would remove their second set of mods and add more "capable" mods. We would venture out east, west and hit jeep jamborees, Leadville Co, Holy Cross and Moab (sadly I missed that last one). I was well aware and grateful for the fact that I had no skin in the game and yet blessed enough to experience the time in the garage, camping and even some drive time.

As a side note: I also watched them loose the daily drivability of their jeeps and noted the talk of trailering the rigs instead of driving them to far away destinations. I also told myself if I ever get an offroad rig it will be a used beater and only build it once.

Fast forward 15-years and now I have a wife and two daughters (10 & 8). I have a small business and limited time for hobbies. I've also realized I have limited time to make memories with my family. So, I bought a 2-door Bronco with a manual transmission, factory 35'' tires and front and rear lockers (sasquatch package) that I use primarily for work. LET'S GO CAMPING!....Shoot, where do I put everything?

My first thought was buying a small trailer that is capable to being towed "off road". I was SHOCKED at the prices first of all. I've found some older M416 trailers (still shocked at those prices). I'm not yet totally there but am stating to except "the price is the price". Then I started wondering the practicality of actually taking a trailer on trails? Then started thinking about base camping and security of our crap from people and weather. Then I started thinking about Smitty-built Scouts and turtleback type trailers. Then started learning about the capabilities and limitations of independent suspension rigs (I have come to the conclusion to try and keep thigs as stock as possible...hopefully) Then started learning about Overlanding. Then started thinking of setting up camp every night just getting to national parks let alone while there. Then started thinking about "off-road" teardrops. Yet again I started thinking about how practical it is to actually drag a trailer on trails the Bronco can handle on its own (not crazily moded up). Then I started wondering do we really need a so called "Off-Road" teardrop if nobody truly drags them along on "moderately hard" trails? Should I just get a "normal" teardrop? Are we locked into base camping anyway with any trailer? If we hook up with other overlanders are they annoyed by someone dragging a trailer along? My goal was to not weigh down the Bronco with roof racks, RTT, hitch racks or swing out bumpers and then suspension upgrades. IMO all that weight makes the vehicle less capable both offroad and as a daily...but is "this is the way"?

My goal is to take the family out camping (which we do with normal family 3 row car). The boiled down issue is I want to now enjoy the capabilities of the Bronco on trails here on the "east coast / mid-west" and still fit all the stuff. I also would like to take a once or twice a year 7-10day overlanding trip with the family to see our country and parks and maybe offroad a bit too. I am also starting to realize the advantages of the quick set-up times Overlanders enjoy. I have "analyses paralysis" big time!

I guess I'm asking what experienced folks think? What limitations/advantages can I expect when towing these 4-types of trailers I'm kicking around (both "off-roading" and "Overlanding")?

Is towing even a good idea? Is it generally accepted knowledge towing greatly limits you when overlanding in the USA?

Thank you for reading my ramblings and I appreciate your advice or thoughts. I know these are open ended questions. If this topic is beaten to death please point me to some good threads.
Well, I can tell you that everything is a trade off.

I'm about to start building my own off road square drop trailer, but took my DIY RTT trailer on many trips, including a 1200 mile run on the ID BDR.

The difference in towing is mostly due to the aerodynamics of the trailer. Teardrops are generally more aerodynamic than a box with a tent on it. Also, Most off road gear haulers are actually heavier than most teardrops.

That being said, small size and durabillity comes at the cost of additional weight, setup time, and comfort.

A sleep in trailer gives you the ability to roll into camp, level it, and crawl inside to sleep. No tent setup required. You can go as elaborate or as simple as you want here as well.

Everything is a trade off, like I said.

slowcarfast

Rank I

Contributor III

Sunshine State
First Name
James
Last Name
Barber
How much do you camp currently with the family? Do you feel like you have that kit really dialed in? Is it just a matter of transitioning that system to working with the Bronco? I would start there and try to identify what works and what you'd like to improve. It may help give your decision. I think this definitely will help inform the trailer type decision. If you're not feeling like you're dialed in now, I would start there, identify the weaknesses or things you would wish to improve with your current kit and then look towards what equipment or tools will help you accomplish that. All that said, I have no experience with trailers except I'm building a very much on road version now to carry canoes and kayaks, so my opinion may be worthless :grinning:.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's up to you, and your trip planning.

There's planning for Jeep trips, and different planning for fullsize + camper trips.

I can go the next 5 years with a regular cab truck and my backpack only. Or a 23' travel trailer, and be perfectly outfitted.

Some of my planned trips are 100% on foot, with icky disgusting air travel. Mk1 hiking boot.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

From a current teardrop owner: One factor to consider is that you’re planning for the space and comfort of FOUR people, rather than one or two. Teardrop and other small trailers are really only designed to house two adults. Adding a rooftop tent to increase living space is costly, adds a lot of weight and changes the balance and stability of your trailer when towing.
Have you considered a simple gear trailer and one/two Gazelle or similar tents? This would likely be less expensive and more versatile. You could stand up in these tents, which you cannot in a small trailer. Two tents would allow for privacy for all and a bit of “creative ownership” for the kids, meaning some responsibility for the setup and decoration of their temporary home. Make it enjoyable and they’ll want to continue adventuring. Yes, it requires more time to set up tents, but choose a centrally located base camp so you only do it once a week/trip. Then go have fun in the Jeep! Ensure the trailer can be locked to secure your gear, provides protection from the elements and is large enough to hold your equipment. I’m thinking a simple, low profile utility-type cargo trailer.

paul87250

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

Hello,

Hi there,

Firstly welcome to OB from us in France.

We have traveled with a trailer for quite a few years, as it has been mentioned it is always a trade off.

We loved the trailer when our son was travelling with us it gave us the space to haul more fishing and camping gear. Not that we brought loads of stuff it just meant we were not like sardines in a box. Also the ability to establish base camp and do days out where the trailer would be a pain.

We found the only negatives were reduced fuel economy and difficulty with tight trails and reversing.

We had no problems towing off tarmac as the Sankey trailer is designed for that and it tracks nicely behind the defender, I would be far more reluctant to tow an expensive trailer on our local tracks.

Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy your time with your family.

Cheers Paul and Nicky

Attachments

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
@roots66, Thank you. Oddly enough, I just discovered the Runaway Camper folk 2-days ago. The frame looks great compared to most and I like the fact it has a composite body. I have not come across the "the HitchHiker Camper" folks at all. My google skills need work because I specifically searched for DYI trailer kits and never found this. Both of these are great options and are on the list. Thank you.
When you search try DIY instead of DYI.
:)

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
My first Overland vehicle was a 2011 F-150 Supercrew FX4 and I learned a lot setting that up for Camping/Overlanding. I had a RTT on it mounted on top of a Diamondback bed cover on a rack I built myself out of Superstruts.

I now have 2018 F-150 Supercrew FX4 and haven't set it up for Overlanding yet. I sold my old RTT because it was just sitting in storage and it was a softtop and I want a hardtop one for my next one. I have for a few years now gone back and forth when it comes to whether to build an Overland trailer or not. Since I'll never have more than 1 or 2 people go with me I think I'm going to stick with building up my F-150 to be the ultimate Overland vehicle. I just think of all the work of having to take a trailer along with you. When my other truck was setup I just had to load up a few things and I could hit the road. Having a 5.5' covered bed gives you a lot of secure storage to keep a lot of the things you need for camping in the truck. I'm going to use the lessons I learned from my first truck to improve my setup for the second truck. I'll definitely be taking my time to do it right the second time around!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've been off-road/overlanding with trailers for a several decades. They stared out as something to haul gear and material in while maintaining black diamond trails. Over the years I turned my M-100 trailer into more of a camping trailer eventually outfitting it with an RTT. About five years ago I built my teardrop for more comfort. I still take it on harsh trails but it's not suited for black diamond.
Watching other people with trailers as well as my own trial and error, I found a good combination that works for me.

If I stayed with my M-100 there's a few things I would change and a few I wouldn't.
Changes I've made, I would keep.
1. Length and width. MY trailers match my vehicle width and turning radius. My trailers follow my tracks exactly.
2. Balance. My axle is centered under my trailer. I run very little tongue weight and once I hit dirt, shift the weight to the rear so no weight is on the tongue. This means the trailer doesn't effect my vehicles rear suspension, off road.
3. Brakes. It will take me too long to cover this but, you really need these off road. I also have parking brakes on my trailers.
4. Articulating hitch. Big upgrade. I have my own design but the ones on the market work well.
5. Large tires. The taller the tire, the better it navigates obstacles. This is apparent in rocks and large rut's. Having the same lug pattern as your vehicle helps also.
6. Shocks. I really wish I had some video footage of my testing with this. Huge difference in stability.

Things I would change.
1. No RTT. As much as I loved it, going to an OZ tent would have been better. For you that means more room.
2. nothing else

I pretty much camp regularly with a few long trips a year. Most of them with a trailer. The biggest issue with a trailer is the fact you have a trailer. Setting up camp and having extra gear is good and bad. You tend to bring things you don't need. The nice part is when I base camp. Setting camp, exploring and coming back to a set up camp is nice.

Heres a few pictures of my trailers. I have an early picture of my M-100 then one just before I retired it. The other is my Tear drop.

CJ7 and Trailer.jpg Occitlillo 2013.jpg night3.jpg Monache Camp 2021.jpg

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Welcome to OB.
As stated previously the first thing to consider is the type of trips (overlanding) you and your family want to do.
Once you have that clear it is easier to work out your needs.
Our experience was modifying an ex military sankey trailer into an overland trailer to tow behind our Land Rover Defender 90.
We then left our home on the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean and spent 10 months travelling throughout Europe up to the Arctic Circle and Nordkapp and down through North Africa and the Sahara Desert.
Main pros of the trailer were:

As stated base camping and not having to set up and take down everything daily.

Being able to go exploring in a nimble light weight off road vehicle on tracks and trails that would be difficult in a bigger heavier vehicle.

Carry more luxury items to make life on the road more comfortable.

Cons of the trailer were:

Towing a heavy trailer

Carrying too much that was not needed. Within a month of leaving home we were off loading equipment rhat we just didnt need.

Restrictive towing a trailer on some routes and reversing with a short trailer back up a rugged tight trail is a pita.

Set up and take down is longer so again a pita if travellibg daily.

Our next trip was Mongolia moving daily so we left the trailer, added some additional mods to the Land Rover including a rigid pop up rtt rather than a canvas fold out rtt.
An armed with what we learned from the previous trip we reduced what we carried massively.

So bottom line is it depends what trip you are doing which will then dictate what set up works for you.

Any questions etc feel free to direct message me

Couple of pics added of both configurations as described above.

Pic 1 Landy and Trailer crossing Sahara
Pic 2 Landy in Mongolia.

Attachments

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Like vehicle modifications, I’d recommend starting small and cheap. If a roof rack is too small, what about a hitch-mounted carrier PLUS the rack?

Find out what works. If you grow into a trailer, great. If you find tent camping works best for the family, great!

Resist the pressure to be ‘cool’. Learn what works for you.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Like vehicle modifications, I’d recommend starting small and cheap. If a roof rack is too small, what about a hitch-mounted carrier PLUS the rack?

Find out what works. If you grow into a trailer, great. If you find tent camping works best for the family, great!

Resist the pressure to be ‘cool’. Learn what works for you.
This is the way.

It's how we did it.

We started with a ground tent, air mattress, cheap Walmart sleeping bags. 55qt cooler, and everything packed into the back of my 03 Xterra. It took a full day to get everything in there and we were barely fit what we needed for a 5 day trip.

We did that for quite a while, until we decided a trailer was the way to go. I built an offroad gear trailer with a kitchen, running water, and a roof top tent. We love that setup, but want something where we can get out of the weather, and has a much faster setup time.

So that's our evolution. Our needs have changed, so our setup changes with it.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18

Hi Matt,
Sounds like you've got a ton of experience camping and wheeling. my journey was similar though the military kind of moved me from group of friends with different focuses to another. and I kind of retained a bit for all of it, but mainly I retained the passon for getting out there and exploring in 4wd and off the beaten path.
I have a wife, and 2 dogs. 1 65lb 3year old Lab, and 1 7 year old Rhodeisan Ridgeback, who's 110lbs. I drive a GX470 with 3'' of lift on 34's... the roof is 7'3" tall and then throw a RTT on and we're shooting for 7'5" for getting the dogs up there.
Not only that, but my wife grew up in New York, and Chicago... and while she's adventourous as any Colorado Native, she just doesn't have the experience to draw on to dial her needs for equipment and just general SHIT back lol.

also if we're being fair, I spent several years Adventure Touring on motorcycles, and have been enjoying the extra space a "cage" offers... so I'm not innocent in regards to bringing too much SHIT!

I chose the trailer route for a couple reasons.
1. I wanted to be able to keep most if not all my camping gear ready to go so I could roll in friday afternoon after work, change, wait for Natalie to get home, then hit the road.
2. I wanted to keep the GX as light as possible. it's a heavy rig, and top heavy already, adding the tent on top made it worse, and keeping all our shit in it all the time was just too much
3. I got tired of camping in one spot and having to pack up everything to go explore the area, then return back and unpack... a trailer would give me a basecamp
4. I had very limited space in general for things like shovel/ax/jack because My spare no longer fit under my rig so was living on the floor in my cargo area. I needed to add cargo capacity as well as capacity/ways to carry Propane/extra fuel.

I too found the cost so crazy that I stopped looking to buy anything so quickly that it's hard to remember even looking. I started looking at a full custom build, ie building the frame from scratch, however I started in COVID, and here in Washington State they require VIN inspections (I'd have to take the build once coplete with all required lighting to a office for the inspection) however they weren't doing them... and I was hearing they were 6months behind when I was really starting my build... I also had a deadline of a trip I had planned...
SO I chose. a harbor freight build. i went with their 1750lbframe... it's a 6x8 frame I cut down to 6x6, then added a bunch of steel. I ran a 2.5x2.5 square tube down the middle for the tongue, that runs the full length and welded everything to it, and to each other. then built the box out of 11ga square tubing and the telescoping portion out of 14ga (probably should have just done 14ga total). Did a 3/4 in marine grade plywood, that was treated with 10year waterproof paint/stain, and the bottom completely covered in Raptor liner.
Axle was custom made by Dinoot Trailers to match my lexus's width exactly

All in all I've loved this trailer... I need new tires as I'm just runing the stock take offs from my GX, but I've had 0 issues and it's gone everywhere I've wanted.
Trailer with the tent, but nothing else inside weighs just over 2k. it'll grow, as I plan to build compartments and a slide out kitchen to help organize it, but definitely still going to keep it under 2,500 lb.

Here's my bell thread, it's a ton of pictures be warned. Ebbs' Harbor Freight Trailer
PXL_20230510_012250179.jpgPXL_20230902_111335264.jpgIMG_20230618_204951_663.jpgPXL_20230903_021103233.jpg

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
dude
@everyone
Thank you so much for all the great perspectives. It is helping more than you know. It's great to hear everyone's real world experiences with all types of trailers. I hope to hear from more members and this tread continues to help my family and others weigh the options.
I agree with the common theme most are pointing out, any option has it's positive and negative tradeoffs. I will be discussing and running through (imagining) trip scenarios with my wife in an effort to help narrow down our needs, wants and budget. With my camping experience and hearing your experiences with trailers, I hope we can somewhat anticipate the road ahead.

Thank you to everyone! Please know, we are reading all of your responses and value them.

M.E.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@everyone
Thank you so much for all the great perspectives. It is helping more than you know. It's great to hear everyone's real world experiences with all types of trailers. I hope to hear from more members and this tread continues to help my family and others weigh the options.
I agree with the common theme most are pointing out, any option has it's positive and negative tradeoffs. I will be discussing and running through (imagining) trip scenarios with my wife in an effort to help narrow down our needs, wants and budget. With my camping experience and hearing your experiences with trailers, I hope we can somewhat anticipate the road ahead.

Thank you to everyone! Please know, we are reading all of your responses and value them.

M.E.
Hey, that's why we're all here!

Reactions: genocache and Ebbs