Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Ok, so what did you learn? Can’t leave us hangin! I’m designing and building my own batwing awning, so your experience and insight will surely apply! Thanks!

Reactions: bubbadangelo

bubbadangelo

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Agawam, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
DAngelo
Member #

Ok, so what did you learn? Can’t leave us hangin! I’m designing and building my own batwing awning, so your experience and insight will surely apply! Thanks!
The big thing I learned is placement for the batwing. I had it sitting too far back and water would run off and go into the bed. Not ideal when that is where we were sleeping. I also decided that an awning extension/wall would be a good investment since we camp with our dogs. It would give them a cozy place to hang out and not get rained on.

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
The big thing I learned is placement for the batwing. I had it sitting too far back and water would run off and go into the bed. Not ideal when that is where we were sleeping. I also decided that an awning extension/wall would be a good investment since we camp with our dogs. It would give them a cozy place to hang out and not get rained on.
I was thinking about the walls as wind-breaks but also to keep the rain and such at arms/awnings length. Had not thought about addressing awning placement to prevent rain getting between the mounts and the vehicle, so thanks, good insight...

bubbadangelo

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Agawam, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
DAngelo
Member #

I was thinking about the walls as wind-breaks but also to keep the rain and such at arms/awnings length. Had not thought about addressing awning placement to prevent rain getting between the mounts and the vehicle, so thanks, good insight...
Are you building your own batwing or purchasing one? Either way I’d like to see your setup when finished.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Are you building your own batwing or purchasing one? Either way I’d like to see your setup when finished.
yes, I’m building one. A 180. The way I mounted my tent(off the back) limits the space to 180 degrees. My rtt has the annex so I still have covered space under the tent, off the back. Will put up pics soon as I skin the frame.