Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I want to monitor the in/out pipes on my aux engine oil cooler. Does anyone know of an external clamp on dual sender with a dual(selectable?) gauge, 12v of course. Thanks.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I want to monitor the in/out pipes on my aux engine oil cooler. Does anyone know of an external clamp on dual sender with a dual(selectable?) gauge, 12v of course. Thanks.
Did I understand correctly that you basically want to connect two sensors to one display instrument?

I have done something like this in a different context. I monitor the engine oil temperature and the oil temperature of the transferbox on one gauge. My setup is as follows: VDO gauge for the oil temperature, 2 matching sensors with identical measuring range, the sensors are connected to a simple toggle switch with 3 switch positions ON OFF ON and then the wiring goes to the gauge.

Maybe that helps you?

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Bjoem, Yes that is what I want to do. 2 sensors, 1 gauge. I want the sensors to be external and not the typical screw in bulb type. I figured the on-off-on switch would be the easy part. I have the LR military oil cooler and I want to make sure it's working, mine did not come with the thermometer pocket.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Is it not possible to insert a T fitting where the lines enter and exit the cooler? that would allow easy insertion of sending units? would allow use of pretty much any gauge, Glow Shift make some dual temperature gauges that would avoid the need for switching from one sensor to the other.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I do something similar.
Engine cooling - sensor in the top and bottom hoses, wired through an on/on rocker switch to the same gauge.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This is my oil temp gauge and you can see the on off on switch on the right side of the photo. Both sensors are wired to that switch and then into the gauge. So I just select easily between engine oil temp and transferbox oil temp here.

Attachments

Reactions: genocache

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Is it not possible to insert a T fitting where the lines enter and exit the cooler? that would allow easy insertion of sending units? would allow use of pretty much any gauge, Glow Shift make some dual temperature gauges that would avoid the need for switching from one sensor to the other.

Sure that is doable and I will probably HAVE to go that route. I just don't want to take apart the oil lines get oil all over the place and have to clean it all up and add oil to the engine. Don't know if I'm lazy or old......

Reactions: OTH Overland

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Do you want permanent or temporary.
If you have a volt meter you could get a multimeter temp probe pretty cheap. Its conductive so all you need to do is put a hose clamp in it. Measure your input then your output.