Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My oil pan drain plug on my 2000 Jeep XJ with the 4.0 is stripped and just spins. It’s not leaking. How can I get the plug out and can the hole be fixed or do I need a new oil pan as some people are telling me?

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I don't know of a way to get it out without making the existing pan worse off.....I really think a new pan is the best solution.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Getting it out is going to be a big issue. Somehow prying or pulling on the plug while you turn it with a wrench is the only way. BTW, oil pan drain plug torque is around 15 foot pounds. This happens when its way over torqued several times or, as one of my students did, half inch impact in tighten mode.
Another option is removing the pan, cutting the head off and smacking it to the inside. At that point it easier to replace the pan.

They make self taping drain plugs for stripped threads. I'm my experience they only last a short time. I would definitely get a new pan. I say this because you said the plug just spins.

There's another alternative if you have enough thread left. When I got my cruiser it was 20 years old. The drain threads were worn but not leaking. I installed a drain valve to see how it would work out. We have these at work so I've seen them for years. My pan is high enough that I don't worry about breaking it off. If it wasn't, I would have a skid plate protecting it anyway.
The only down side is it takes forever to drain. I just open the valve and go do other maintenance.

Last edited:

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Thank you, I’ll probably go with a new pan. Now to find someone to change the pan out. Unfortunately I can’t do it due to my disability.

Reactions: Alanymarce

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My daughter had this problem with a newish VW. My first question to her was- who changes your oil? Jiffy lube- lesson learned.
That company put an air chisel through my sisters oil pan while changing the oil. Mercedes diesel. No oil pan available in the world. I found one at an ebay junk yard.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My daughter had this problem with a newish VW. My first question to her was- who changes your oil? Jiffy lube- lesson learned.
Oil changes have been done at 2 jeep dealerships. It was one of them that stripped the drain plug.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Lisle and Super Crazy Tools make specific oil drain plug tap kits. Just hire someone to do it. Run a quart of oil through engine and out open hole before you close up the newly tapped hole to remove shavings. This is so common of a repair that to not try it before full pan removal would be to risk throwing big money away.
I will check them out. Thank you

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
Even if you were able to remove the plug, it is very probable that the threads in the pan are toast. Tapping new threads is an option, but make sure it is tapped to fit a new plug and as mentioned by another commenter don't forget to pour some oil through it to flush the shavings. If you have a leaky rear main seal which is common on XJ's, it may be a good opportunity to just get a new pan and replace the seal.

Reactions: Alanymarce

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Oil changes have been done at 2 jeep dealerships. It was one of them that stripped the drain plug.
I wouldn’t trust a jeep dealership any more than I’d trust Jiffy lube. You need to find a mechanic and proceed to develope a positive business relationship with them. Or- DIY.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Even if you were able to remove the plug, it is very probable that the threads in the pan are toast. Tapping new threads is an option, but make sure it is tapped to fit a new plug and as mentioned by another commenter don't forget to pour some oil through it to flush the shavings. If you have a leaky rear main seal which is common on XJ's, it may be a good opportunity to just get a new pan and replace the seal.
...and, the problem with tapping a new thread is that there's less metal in the opening, and hence more possibility of the failure of the connection. New pan is the best solution I think.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I wouldn’t trust a jeep dealership any more than I’d trust Jiffy lube. You need to find a mechanic and proceed to develope a positive business relationship with them. Or- DIY.
Jeep was bought as a project. Unfortunately I got hurt and can’t do much after 2 back surgeries. Looking for a mechanic.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Push/drive a chisel/screwdriver/prying implement between the head and the pan, back the plug out with a wrench, using pressure from the pry. Use one of the commercially available repair kits, or pick your own plug , tap to the correct pitch.

Pack the flutes on the tap with grease to catch the chips.

Reactions: slomatt