OHV Spark Arrestor Requirement for out of state visitor vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

In searching for campsites and trails in CA & AZ I discovered a new wrinkle... any vehicle driven on state public land (or something to that effect) must have an approved Spark Arrestor and a non-resident permit to operate...

Obviously being from Georgia we don't have any such requirements. I've identified some vendors in San Diego County who can issue a permit for $30 but does that also require me to purchase and have a spark arrestor installed along with either a Red or Green sticker (what ever that may involve).

I obviously do not what to be starting a wild fire in CA or in AZ but not sure what to do now???

Was planning on driving the Main Divide Truck Trail east of LA then after Christmas driving along the Mojave Road for a few days then spend a few days in Death Valley before heading back to AZ.

In AZ was going to drive the Mexican Border Road, El Camino del Diablo among other trails... am I now completely prohibited from any of this???

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
What kind of OHV are you bringing? Need more info to give you some info. Sounds like you've done some homework so maybe you have a direction already, but CA is quite strict for enforcement on these rules.
However the areas that you list, I'm not sure how the enforcement is there.

If you're bike (or whatever) is street legal with a plate, none of this is needed, but a spark arrestor is always a good idea here.
We're in fire season and the winds always blow at that time of year.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Hi VC , thanks for the reply and sorry for the oversight of not including my vehicle info.

I will be driving my Daily Driver... i.e. a Ford Ranger 2002 4x4.

The vehicle is all street legal, current tag, emissions verified, insured, etc. and virtually as OEM issued/sold. Here in GA the Forest Svs and enforcement folks seem to lump any vehicle regularly taken off road (street legal, tagged or not) into the OHV category. I know, its easier to enforce laws as if everyone and everything fits the same mold... at least back east that seems to be the view point, so if you're off the highway you're in an Off Highway Vehicle... at least that's been my fairly recent experience here.

I have had a new muffler and exhaust pipe replaced about 3 weeks ago but the catalytic converter was operationally fine so didn't replace that. However I was just concerned that I might need to stop in San Diego to have a spark arrestor installed to meet the legal mandate in AZ/CA in order to avoid a citation.

I fully understand the wildfire concern since I was (in a past life) a volunteer fireman. Also recall the devastation that carelessness and ignorance can cause - you may have heard about the two young boys hiking in the Great Smokey Mtns of TN last year. They apparently decided it would be "cool" to strike matches and flip them into the trail side underbrush which they apparently did for quite a few miles of hiking. Needless to say the area around Gatlinburg, TN was burned to a crisp including homes, business, the forest etc. For weeks we could smell smoke and see the haze yet we're a couple hundred miles away.

As you can guess - I don't wanna be "that guy"

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Eric, good news for you! A street legal vehicle is completely OK to take on any trail out here in the "wild west"!

The only thing they classify as OHV are vehicles that cannot be registered as street legal, i.e. have a license plate.
There have even been cases where an OHV (newer Yamaha WR450... ask me how I know) were able to get a license plate which then exempted them from the Green/Red Sticker program.

I've ridden different OHV's for a while, the sticker program has it's merits, but I think it's a way to over/further regulate land use. Oh well.

I didn't hear about that particular fire back there, what a sad story. We have that kind of stupidity going on all the time out here. Combine that with what we call Santa Ana winds that come out of the East dessert and it's as dry as tinder, and it seems that even bad breath can start a fire here!

So, you should be good to go on almost any trail you can find and fit! I'm not very familiar with the "Main Divide Truck Trail" but it should be OK. Mojave Road and Death Valley I'm pretty familiar with, both incredible desert landscape. I love the desert, soak it all in, it's awesome! Go prepared for what you'll be up against, the Mojave Road can fool into thinking it's just a dirt road. The last 3 times I've been there I've had something break! Minor things, but caught me off guard a little.

And by the way, AZ has completely different rules, much more lax than CA. but I don't know them at all. However, same applies there, if it's got a license plate, you'll be OK.

Enjoy the West!

Dan.

Last edited:

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Thanks Dan, Now I can relax a bit...

I've already got so much time invested planning and have had to scratch up way too much $$ for this trip. As you can imagine "all I need" is a citation for $5-700 for lacking a permit or a spark arrestor. I'd just have to shut it down and head back east!

I'm sooo looking forward to being in the desert for more than a day/morning/afternoon. I've visited Tucson once before for a few days and long ago and far away (way back in my "youth") I had to spend some time in the Yakima desert in Washington state (Army war games) but none of that really qualified as enjoyable desert time.

We've camped extensively in "Appalachia" and even tho it is beautiful at the end of the day it's pretty much the same thing I saw yesterday and during the last trip - hardwood forests, pine forests, ceder trees, creeks/streams, water falls, moss covered rock cliffs - yada

So we're planning on 6 weeks in AZ and CA with the exception of 9 days in Long Beach for Christmas with our daughters. I can't wait for the chance to pitch the RTT, throw out a couple of chairs, and watch the sunset or sunrise while having - just one more adult beverage!!

Really appreciate your reply and help with this small technicality.