Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
jonathon
Last Name
Wiedmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYM477 GMRS
This is the issue I am having... I have a phoenix automotive android stereo that I run in my JT. OB1 app works perfect as long as I have it completely closed and the unit has been on for 30 seconds or so first then open OB1. The problem arises when I have OB1 running, shut off the rig, then come back later and the stereo starts up from suspend with OB1 active. The stereo takes about 15 to 20 seconds to stabilize cellular signal after coming off suspend, which causes the OB1 app to start in offline mode. The only way I have found to get it back into online mode is to swipe OB1 closed then reopen. Maybe a delayed online check after the app opens from suspend? Or maybe a menu in the settings to tell it to go online? Unless I am missing something I cannot find another way to get it online. I have tested waiting up to 30 minutes after good data (LTE signal and spotify working great) and still not sensing data with the only way to get it online was swiping closed and reopening.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the info on this observation. So far I have always used the Auto Offline Mode setting. Then, in my opinion, it was always the case that if the OB1 app had no cell network, it started in offline mode and switched over as soon as there was a network.

So, I have just tried to recreate this situation:
  • put mobile phone in offline mode
  • OB 1 app starts in offline mode as designed but
  • when I then allow network connection again nothing happens. And more, the icons at the bottom of the screen to switch to the forum view, for example, are grayed out and have no function.
  • if I then go into the settings, suddenly not only the slider for auto offline mode is on, but also the one for offline mode.
I seem to remember that this used to be different and the app when set to auto offline mode just switched to online mode as soon as cell coverage was back (see above). But I could be wrong.

@Michael Could you please help with this?

Thank you,
Bjoern

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
This is the issue I am having... I have a phoenix automotive android stereo that I run in my JT. OB1 app works perfect as long as I have it completely closed and the unit has been on for 30 seconds or so first then open OB1. The problem arises when I have OB1 running, shut off the rig, then come back later and the stereo starts up from suspend with OB1 active. The stereo takes about 15 to 20 seconds to stabilize cellular signal after coming off suspend, which causes the OB1 app to start in offline mode. The only way I have found to get it back into online mode is to swipe OB1 closed then reopen. Maybe a delayed online check after the app opens from suspend? Or maybe a menu in the settings to tell it to go online? Unless I am missing something I cannot find another way to get it online. I have tested waiting up to 30 minutes after good data (LTE signal and spotify working great) and still not sensing data with the only way to get it online was swiping closed and reopening.
Hey there!

In the settings of the app, you will see the option to turn off “auto start offline mode”. Turn that off and let me know if that solves the issue!

Attachments

BasketCaseTech

Rank III

Member III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
jonathon
Last Name
Wiedmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYM477 GMRS
I will look at it in the morning, but to be honest I have looked and never seen any settings for offline mode anywhere, let alone anything like the screenshot you have there showing the biometric authentication setting. Is there a difference in versions with a tablet type device? I will look and see if there is a particular version listed, but I do know I looked everywhere for anything related to offline/online and never found anything. I am running whatever version the Play Store offered up for my device, a Phoenix Automotive unit.

BasketCaseTech

Rank III

Member III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
jonathon
Last Name
Wiedmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYM477 GMRS
I took a look at things and did find the auto offline mode setting, turned it off and will see how things go in the morning. One thing that makes things difficult on the app is getting to the menu. For some reason the OB1 app draws full screen under the top notification bar, which has a home button on one corner and a back button on the other. It makes it difficult to get a good push on the menu (hamburger?) icon. Seems to be the only app to do it as all other apps stop short of the notification bar area, other than OnX which actually goes full screen and covers the top. I will snap a picture in the morning to give that more clarity.

BasketCaseTech

Rank III

Member III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
jonathon
Last Name
Wiedmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYM477 GMRS
So here is an example of how the OB1 app is drawing under the notification area/top bar as compared to other apps. The search and menu buttons are quite hard to press without hitting the back and home buttons. As far as the offline mode problem, all seems to be good after unselecting the auto offline mode.

IMG_20240417_080114_745.jpgIMG_20240417_080332_399.jpgIMG_20240417_080241_731.jpgIMG_20240417_080157_426.jpg