Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
As mentioned elsewhere in these fori, I have decided to 'widen the stance' of Ruby a bit, since I will be installing the RTT soon. Ordered some steel 16" wheels with 305/70R16 mud terrain tires from 'The Tirerack' last week.

They installed the TPMs, mounted and balanced, and then shipped straight to my door. They arrived last night (UPS is running really late these days :) ). Installed them this afternoon...

Before (option OEM 17" alloy wheels with BFGoodrich 255/75R17 tires):
uuQIX4blS0GidvPMErYbcQ.jpg 40JTs3n+Tom6wOXFSHt6hg.jpg tcNkwxfATvyF9z6EpqAlBw.jpg %uVihPGuQ%GdoFA2tYrfVg.jpg

After...
ZqVVr%uVRlutjLTkgpjEbQ.jpg xIARag1+Qk6aByVVuIC7Zg.jpg WXH7Qq8gT9qSTnne9n3IRg.jpg jpaNYllPQIePG0Z5dJbK+g.jpg

What do y'all think :) ?

Reactions: Jimmy P and Kent R

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Looks like I don't need to replace the spare tire carrier right now either, although I did mess up and forgot to put the hubcap on the spare when i put it up there. Too lazy to fix right now, though.

Still 'thinking' about replacing the rear OEM bumper with one with integrated spare carrier, and possibly some fuel carry options...

One thing that just popped into my mind - what should I run for pressures? With the OEMs, I had 36PSI in all 4 on pavement; on the trail, I usually air down to 20-25PSI; should I run these tires at the same pressures?

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Probably around the same or slightly less. Softer will give a better ride, but may compromise wear mileage.
I run my 275/70x16 BFG MTs at around 30 - 32 and the ATs at around 34 - 36

Reactions: Wotan

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
@Wotan Ruby looks great with her new shoes! What make is the roof rack?
Thanks, @SeattleBeardo . Yeah, I really dig the more aggressive look of the 16" wheels with the wider tires. Not sure if I'll even bother to reprogram the speedo, it's so close.

It's a Gobi Stealth rack with wind deflector, ladder (rear drivers side), easy move crossbars and a sunroof insert :) . Got a great deal via Trail Duty... But they are slow, right now their lead times are 8-10 weeks; they only build to order.

I like the fact that it can carry 300lbs moving and up to 600lbs stationary. Without the RTT and the sunroof insert (w/o the crossbars installed,) it's great to make photographs from the roof of Ruby! Allows for a nice and different perspective.

Will see how the RTT works out when i do my photo tour next Spring. Hopefully Gobi will have sent me my awning brackets by then, so that I'll have the RTT opening to the passenger side, and the awning over the drivers side; that shoulds make a great space to cook and sit...

Last edited:

SeattleBeardo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA
Member #

It looks like there is still room to pull the Freedom Panels off easily too! I love being able to open it up to more air in just a minute and be able to get them right back on the next minute when the rain starts again here in Seattle!

Reactions: Wotan

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
It looks like there is still room to pull the Freedom Panels off easily too! I love being able to open it up to more air in just a minute and be able to get them right back on the next minute when the rain starts again here in Seattle!
Yes, there is. It's designed specifically to be able to remove the panels. the insert bolts in above the panels, and creates a 'mesh' platform above them (just like the fixed one in the back). Or w/o the inserts, it's just open...

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
After 2 days of driving around, and some "off road" testing today, i have to say, I am happy with my decision to replace the original equipment tires!

I did settle on 33-34PSI for on-road pressure, after doing the tread-water test, and comparing the contact patch at various pressures (thank God for the E-Z Deflator - I use the ARB505, http://amzn.to/2kMGfA3 :) ) - all the way from 50PSI down to 20PSI. The ride seems about the same in comfort as when I was running the OEM BFGs at 35-36PSI. There definitely is a tad bit more road noise, which, I am quite certain, is from the fact that the contact area is much larger with these tires than the OEMs. Since the speedo was off by ~1.5mph at 65mph, I did use the Flashpaq to reprogram it; esp. since I like going the 10% rule... :)

"Off road," all I could test here was some gravel and then level B - minimum maintenance roads around the Loess hills. I did take the time to air down to ~20PSI and had some fun in the back country. Nothing really big, but there were a couple of nice ruts and off-camber sections, no mud though. In 2WD or 4HI, no issues, even tried swaybar disconnect; no use testing 4LO in this area w/o mud. Of course, the real test will be in the Spring in CO/UT...

Did air up again to 33PSI at the end of the "play time" - it takes ever so slightly longer to get these puppies back to 33PSI, than it took the OEMs to get to 36PSI.

So far so good: Happy with the performance and the looks...