Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I want everyone here to know attending OTG. DO NOT disrespect the locals. I am a local to Central Valley bald Mtn is my backyard. At last years event a couple locals from sanger have informed the local community that certain OB members making comments towards their rigs which was unacceptable! Also I would like to mention if this event is as big as you make it to be I hope the proper permit was received. Every year this is a huge event, I unintentionally was at 2015 OTG just wheeling with my buddies and we ended up in the photo shoot. I have seen how big this event gets and with that many rigs and that man INEXPERIENCED drivers the OB event caused a lot of damage. I say inexperienced because I have never seen people needing a spot going up the easy way of bald. With that being said I hope unlike last year the OB community DONATES money to "Clovis Independent 4 Wheelers" as a THANK YOU for maintaining the trail. There are locals on that trail everyday. DO NOT cause a traffic jam on that trail. 2015 we were in a rush to get down luckily we knew the alternate routes to get around people or we would've been stuck on that trail for hours.
Hi Jesse,

I'd reiterate your words to our community. DO NOT disrespect...ANYONE. Where I cannot control the actions of every Overland Bound Member, we consistently work our asses off to retain the high-quality personal interactions and behavior the community is known for.

Last year, I met with the locals from sanger at the top of the mountain and we discussed the matter in person. I agreed with them it was completely unacceptable, and made a commitment to them to bring this up with the community that weekend, which I did. That's that in my mind. We resolved it. It was unfortunate, disappointing, and a good opportunity to learn, which I did. Thank you for reminding us. It can't be said enough. Respect is paramount.

Experience level and spotting are not related. It is our goal with OTG to introduce new enthusiasts to off-road travel on a safe trail. About 30% of our attendees are self-identified as beginners. Our members stay on the trail. We do a good job with our message to "leave it better than you found it", and constantly reiterate staying on the trail to our members. Last year I personally witnessed non-Overland Bound members tearing through the brush, off the trail. The damage you speak of was most likely not caused by Overland Bound members.

Clovis Independent 4 Wheelers is welcome to contact us any time for potential collaboration on Bald Mountain Trail.

M

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

I am a local... literally at the bottom of 168. Shaver, Bald, and Dinkey are all my backyard, and we treat it as such. I have NEVER come across a more active group regarding stewardship as I have OB. I work with local clubs, as well as know many that are heavily involved in most of them. They participate in trail clean ups, trail preservation, and such. But the Global level that OB takes on is a truly remarkable culture that I again, have not seen instituted to the level found with OB members. ALL our children were involved in trail cleanup for this run. We took care of Edison, Shaver, the trails, and completely embellished the culture of "Leave it better than you found it".
I applaud every organization that continues this philosophy to their members, but most importantly, due to the sheer size and member base, commend Michael and the OB team for their continued concerns, constant reminders during the group events, and at every chance to pass on that good philosophy!

Last edited:

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Sorry I missed the OTG2017. I had to cancel due to being sent to Puerto Rico for disaster recovery. Today is my mandatory R&R today, so am doing laundry. Please post pics of event.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TOMB

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Reactions: Michael

TOMB

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Jesse,

I'd reiterate your words to our community. DO NOT disrespect...ANYONE. Where I cannot control the actions of every Overland Bound Member, we consistently work our asses off to retain the high-quality personal interactions and behavior the community is known for.

Last year, I met with the locals from sanger at the top of the mountain and we discussed the matter in person. I agreed with them it was completely unacceptable, and made a commitment to them to bring this up with the community that weekend, which I did. That's that in my mind. We resolved it. It was unfortunate, disappointing, and a good opportunity to learn, which I did. Thank you for reminding us. It can't be said enough. Respect is paramount.

Experience level and spotting are not related. It is our goal with OTG to introduce new enthusiasts to off-road travel on a safe trail. About 30% of our attendees are self-identified as beginners. Our members stay on the trail. We do a good job with our message to "leave it better than you found it", and constantly reiterate staying on the trail to our members. Last year I personally witnessed non-Overland Bound members tearing through the brush, off the trail. The damage you speak of was most likely not caused by Overland Bound members.

Clovis Independent 4 Wheelers is welcome to contact us any time for potential collaboration on Bald Mountain Trail.

M
Well said Michael! Ive been wheeling for 45 years and think Overland Bound is very responsible when it comes to tread lightly principles, one point I would like to make is the use of spotters really lowers the impact on the environment rather than letting people take any line they want that could cause more damage. By having new comers in a group like Overland Bound it gets the word out about responsible land use rather than letting them learn it the hard way.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Well said Michael! Ive been wheeling for 45 years and think Overland Bound is very responsible when it comes to tread lightly principles, one point I would like to make is the use of spotters really lowers the impact on the environment rather than letting people take any line they want that could cause more damage. By having new comers in a group like Overland Bound it gets the word out about responsible land use rather than letting them learn it the hard way.
Nailed IT Kent !!!!!
Steward ship is learned, we share so we can do it better in the future.....

markye412

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Bay Area
Member #

Being in the tail end of this years event, I got the chance to talk with a few groups who had to wait at the Gate Keeper. I spoke with a man that was a little upset because he had to wait for all of us to get up the gate keeper before he had a chance to get around. He did not understand why people needed to be spotted on this particular trail. He felt this trail was for beginners and no one should need to be spotted, and if they did they probably should not be on the trail anyways. It makes me sad to know that some people can not be patient with others. We all start somewhere and I feel Bald Mountain is a great start.

I also got a chance to speak with a some guys on dirt bikes. They were interested in the group and wanted to know who we are and what we do. I passed along as much info as I could. I hope they join the forums and grow with the group.

Thanks again Michael for an amazing trip. I am looking forward for OTG 2018

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
K, here's an idea. When an event like this is planned reach out to local clubs. Ask them for advice, see if they would be interested in spotting when needed. They get respected in their backyard, don't wait in lines and perhaps become members. Win Win

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Info needed,
Im looking for the member # of the guy who had the white 2 door jeep JK that was stock he was on the gold team. He was interested in my Yakima basket but I never got his info.

Thanks for any help

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I want to thank @Michael @Corrie and everyone involved with putting on the event. My wife and I are the couple that drove from Austin, TX. We had a fantastic time, and are hoping to attend next year. We are already planning a trip to Yellowstone, to proceed OTG West 2017.
Awesome! Thank you for joining us. It was great to have you! Hopefully we will see you next year.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
For the trail ride, at OTG 2017, I was with the Black group.
Justin was the leader of the group. I'm trying to find the user name for Justin, so I can reach out to him with a PM.