Foudufafa

Rank 0

Contributor I

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Fink
Seeking advice from experienced travelers.

I am taking a 2-3 month break from work to embark on a solo full time overland trip of national parks starting 10/1/21. I plan to head from MA straight to Yellowstone before they close roads mid october. From there, I was planning to head south to CO and UT. I looked at the Continental Divide Trail and the UT BDR. Both look amazing. I have a 2017 Land Cruiser equipped for stealth camping with sleeping platform in the back, water system, portable power, compressor, fridge,...
My concern is weather conditions and I am interested to hear from folks who have traveled these roads/trails in October/November. I am not an experienced off roaders and would only take easy to medium trails.

1. How much of these roads/trails are passable?
2. Will I freeze my ass sleeping in my car?
3. What parks would you recommend for or against to visit in late October/November? Which ones are definitely not accessible during that time?
4. Anything else you think I should know or prepare for before heading out?

Thank you

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Oh my....sooo many options! That time of year is spectacular with cool nights, crisp mornings, and typically clear beautiful days....except when it's not, LOL. It can go full blizzard mode at any moment.

Watch the weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Start up high and up north and migrate south and to lower elevations as needed. If you are thinking about the San Juan (Silverton, Ouray, Telluride) I would get there quickly after Yellowstone.

Utah has SO much to experience, and with higher and lower elevations so it would be the the go to spot for the latter part of the trip.

Colorado list:
San Juan, Black Canyon, Crested Butte, Dinosaur, Taylor Park, and many connector passes and spots.

Utah list:
Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyon lands, San Rafael Swell, Kodachrome, Moab, and SOOO much more!

I live on the western slope of Colorado and have been a lot of places, but am jealous of your time and freedom to wonder!

Reactions: Foudufafa

Foudufafa

Rank 0

Contributor I

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Fink
Oh my....sooo many options! That time of year is spectacular with cool nights, crisp mornings, and typically clear beautiful days....except when it's not, LOL. It can go full blizzard mode at any moment.

Watch the weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Start up high and up north and migrate south and to lower elevations as needed. If you are thinking about the San Juan (Silverton, Ouray, Telluride) I would get there quickly after Yellowstone.

Utah has SO much to experience, and with higher and lower elevations so it would be the the go to spot for the latter part of the trip.

Colorado list:
San Juan, Black Canyon, Crested Butte, Dinosaur, Taylor Park, and many connector passes and spots.

Utah list:
Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyon lands, San Rafael Swell, Kodachrome, Moab, and SOOO much more!

I live on the western slope of Colorado and have been a lot of places, but am jealous of your time and freedom to wonder!
Thank you and great advice. This is a trip I have been dreaming about for a long time.

Reactions: zgfiredude

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
If you want any route options or have any specific questions just shoot me a message and I'll offer up what I can/know.

Flaming Gorge Lake is cool and there are a lot of "overland" options all around! Grand Staircase and Vermillion cliffs are on my to do list as well. We will be out in that area and around Torrey for a few days in early October.

Reactions: Foudufafa