Ocala, Salt Springs October 6 - 8

• HTML tutorial

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

Going up to Salt Springs with my two daughters for the long weekend. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for nice drives in the area. They are 5 and 6 and my wife is not going so I am taking the RV in tow. But I would like to give them a taste of the overland lifestyle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

I have never been there either but it seems like a good place to go with the girls. There seems to be a long dirt road that leads to a one car or truck barge that takes you across the St.Johns river. Looks very promising.

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

TheOvabz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Savannah, Georgia, United States
First Name
KimandJason
Last Name
Overby
Member #

Hey there!

That sounds like a ton of fun! We were hoping to go up this weekend with Florida Overlanding, Camping, Off-Roading group on FB for our first overlanding experience as a family of three (husband, wife, teenager), but the event got cancelled due to the forest being closed for hurricane cleanup from what I heard.

Just thought I would give you a head's up. Hopefully they have it cleaned up soon. We are eager to get started.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Going up to Salt Springs with my two daughters for the long weekend. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for nice drives in the area. They are 5 and 6 and my wife is not going so I am taking the RV in tow. But I would like to give them a taste of the overland lifestyle.

Purchase a Florida Gazetteer, it has all the roads in Ocala N.F. It is our main source of info when we explore.

Floridaexpedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Altamonte Springs, Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Batt
Member #

Hey,

I'm in Altamonte Springs, i know as of a few days ago the forest is back open.. there are a few spots still closed but im sure they will be open by then. there are so many trails up by Salt Springs, if you would like the company we will camp at our usual spot at Lake Delancy and meet up with you. I will have my kids that week 6,8,10. Look up FloridaExpedition on youtube i have a few videos of that area, and FloridaExpedition on FB i have pictures and such on there also.

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

Hey,

I'm in Altamonte Springs, i know as of a few days ago the forest is back open.. there are a few spots still closed but im sure they will be open by then. there are so many trails up by Salt Springs, if you would like the company we will camp at our usual spot at Lake Delancy and meet up with you. I will have my kids that week 6,8,10. Look up FloridaExpedition on youtube i have a few videos of that area, and FloridaExpedition on FB i have pictures and such on there also.
Would love the company. We will be taking the drive to the ferry on Saturday Morning and then exploring some trails after. I have never been up to Ocala to ride the trails so and advice and guidance would be great. Look forward to meeting you.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I was up in citrus on Friday and it was a mess. I would suggest a chain saw and some boots. REALLY WET. More wet than usual. My buddy up in Jax said the river is going down but still very high. Be careful!

Reactions: Coolhand

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

I was up in citrus on Friday and it was a mess. I would suggest a chain saw and some boots. REALLY WET. More wet than usual. My buddy up in Jax said the river is going down but still very high. Be careful!
Thanks for the heads up.

Overland Bound member #6560