Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi All! Colorado Springs member here! Family of 4 plus a fur baby. Leveled Silverado but looking to do some suspension stuff once I have the funds available again. Lol. Would love to meet some new people and do some exploring!
Welcome again!

We've got a good group going on the front range if you're ever interested in a meetup/trip. We chat a lot on Telegram too of you're interested.

Reactions: mk79 and Iridium

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hi All! Colorado Springs member here! Family of 4 plus a fur baby. Leveled Silverado but looking to do some suspension stuff once I have the funds available again. Lol. Would love to meet some new people and do some exploring!
Welcome to the community Michael! Like Neal said we've got a great active group here. What kind of trails/trips are y'all primarily interested in? Hopefully we can meet up soon either on trail or on a trip sometime!

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
Hello Colorado,

I created this thread for each of you to introduce yourself. Tell us all about your family, you and your rig. Share pictures and get to know others in your state. I will start.

I learned about overlanding last year and have since outfitted my 2015 JKU Rubicon to go anywhere I want. I love getting out in the open air to rock crawl, camp or just go for a drive. I usually head out somewhere every weekend as soon as I clock out of work at 4 pm on Friday.

My Jeep was stock last year until I was in Moab horse back riding and decided to hot a few trails and see what the fuss was all about. WOW what an experience and I have been going full force since.

My goal is to be able to run Baja for a week next year. Your turn!!!
Hey there,

We have been off roading, camping, fishing, hunting, and exploring wonderful Colorado. Of course through many non rock crawling vehicles like my old Trail duster (yep, that old) and a number of trucks. Now we live in Castle Rock and finally bought our 2018 JLU Rubicon and it has really opened our eyes to what is possible. Only two kids left in our house plus two furry monsters.

Attachments

mk79

Rank III

Traveler III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Welcome again!

We've got a good group going on the front range if you're ever interested in a meetup/trip. We chat a lot on Telegram too of you're interested.
What's telegram.?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Welcome again!

What's telegram.?
It's an instant messaging app:

Reactions: Iridium

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hey there,

We have been off roading, camping, fishing, hunting, and exploring wonderful Colorado. Of course through many non rock crawling vehicles like my old Trail duster (yep, that old) and a number of trucks. Now we live in Castle Rock and finally bought our 2018 JLU Rubicon and it has really opened our eyes to what is possible. Only two kids left in our house plus two furry monsters.
Nice to have you along Willy, I keep going back and forth about whether i should have gotten a JT, my bank account probably thanks me that i didnt. What kind of trails have you done locally, whats your comfort level etc, we would love to have you join us out on trail!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

mk79

Rank III

Traveler III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Welcome to the community Michael! Like Neal said we've got a great active group here. What kind of trails/trips are y'all primarily interested in? Hopefully we can meet up soon either on trail or on a trip sometime!
I'm down for just about anything. Whatever I feel my Rig is capable of I'll do. I grew up wheeling with my dad and all his crazy buddies. It's pretty much ingrained into my DNA. Lol

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hi everyone, just moved to Canon CIty CO from the Central Valley of California. I miss the Sierra Nevadas but am really looking forward to exploring up in the Rockies and getting to know folks through OB.
Welcome to the community Dan! There's definitely alot to do and see out here. Looking forward to meeting you some time soon, what kind of trips/trails etc are you comfortable/interested in?

Macetrek

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
JD
Last Name
Mejstrik
Member #

Hi everyone, just moved to Canon CIty CO from the Central Valley of California. I miss the Sierra Nevadas but am really looking forward to exploring up in the Rockies and getting to know folks through OB.
Nice! I lived up in Grass Valley and Sacramento for awhile while I was stationed at Beale. Loved the Sierras! Welcome to Colorado!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Welcome! I'm just down the road from you here in Pueblo West.

Sadly, the high mountain season is coming to a close, but let me know when you have some time and we'll put together a local trip. I need an excuse to get out!

thewerehere

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Mendoza
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KIW
Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the community Dan! There's definitely alot to do and see out here. Looking forward to meeting you some time soon, what kind of trips/trails etc are you comfortable/interested in?
Nothing to crazy for us, we have an Excursion since we have 5 kiddos. It is a great rig but not the most agile. So nothing to tight but otherwise we are up for most things. Usually we like to do weekend trips, and just go check out dirt roads we come across and stop for anything cool we come across. We are not the fastest but we have fun. I also have a couple of bikes so for solo trips it's a lot more flexible.

Reactions: Iridium

thewerehere

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Mendoza
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KIW
Welcome! I'm just down the road from you here in Pueblo West.

Sadly, the high mountain season is coming to a close, but let me know when you have some time and we'll put together a local trip. I need an excuse to get out!
That'd be great. We just moved in so we are still getting house stuff settled and life back into some sort a routine but once that's done it sounds like fun.

Also I'd be curious if you know much about an Ham radio clubs/repeaters in the area I should be trying to reach out to. Got my license last year but haven't had a lot of opportunity to get a lot of experience with it.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
That'd be great. We just moved in so we are still getting house stuff settled and life back into some sort a routine but once that's done it sounds like fun.

Also I'd be curious if you know much about an Ham radio clubs/repeaters in the area I should be trying to reach out to. Got my license last year but haven't had a lot of opportunity to get a lot of experience with it.
There's the Royal Gorge Ham Club and Pueblo West Amateur Radio Club. I have been very active in the latter in the past, but have drifted away in the last year or so.

The 145.490 is the primary repeater of the Royal Gorge Club. I believe they still have a daily morning ragchew.

Next try the 447.975 and/or 447.250. The owner, K0JSC, is a friend. You can see his tower just to the west of WalMart. They have an amazing linked system. Listen there at 12:15 PM daily for a weather net.

I was trying to paste a repeater list, but OB doesn't like it. I'll follow with a screen shot from my phone.