Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Sauber
Member #

I’ve been a member for nearly 5 years now but extremely inactive due to life changes. Local to the east valley in Arizona, but this is my 2001 Subaru Forester SF . Fresh motor build with six star Bernie head gaskets and about 1200 miles since rebuild. 3 5/8” lift with king springs, KYB struts and ADF spacers. Primitive racing skid plate in front and I left most of the “truck” OEM as I just love the style. Currently running 215/75R15 General Grabber ATX and I thoroughly enjoy them over wild peaks and open country tires. Let me know if you have any questions! Hope yo hear from some local members!

Attachments

Todd S.

Rank VII
Investor

Navigator I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Sacchi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YWP
That is a fine looking rig. My Dad bought a Subaru back in the late 70s. He took it places I don’t think a jeep could go. My brother and I mounted a winch on the front and hung it from a tree. My dad wasn’t pleased about that. But we had to test it.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nice first gen (?). Looks clean. We never find something that age in such good shape in my neck of the woods.

I'm planning on downsizing from my GMC Sierra to a Subaru Forester SH standard shift (to avoid any CVT entanglements). A 100 mile per day commute was just sustainable until the fuel prices shot up so...

Anyway I have havent bought yet but been on some test drives and it seems like a great platform. Not a lot about Subarus on this forum though, I dont think

Reactions: OverlandGF8

OverlandGF8

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Sauber
Member #

Nice first gen (?). Looks clean. We never find something that age in such good shape in my neck of the woods.
I think you are correct. Subarus are dying breed and the ones that exist now are CVT transmission kids who can’t get up basic hills due to heat length and timing.

Old school here and see no point in changing. Transmission rebuilt, engine just rebuilt, all new steering rack and king springs new new struts
I'm planning on downsizing from my GMC Sierra to a Subaru Forester SH standard shift (to avoid any CVT entanglements). A 100 mile per day commute was just sustainable until the fuel prices shot up so...

Anyway I have havent bought yet but been on some test drives and it seems like a great platform. Not a lot about Subarus on this forum though, I dont think

Reactions: Todd S.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Thundahbeagle, I have been researching Subies CVT ad nauseum. I think you will be fine with it. They are much stronger than that Jatco garbage that comes in most Nissan, Jeep and other products. I am willing to buy one. I will be adding the aftermarket CVT cooler and using Amsoil CVT oil in it to ensure it's longevity. I think the Subie one is much better built than the Jacto junk.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

loweredexpectations4x4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Buddie
Last Name
Daugherty
Member #

Nice rig! I just started building an 04 SG. I’ve been really impressed with the places these go! But I really wanted a first gen forester. But I got mine for free so beggars can’t be choosers.

Reactions: OverlandGF8