• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

So, I learned a fun fact about my engine today. Apparently the airbox intake is only a foot or so above the ground, good thing is it wasn't my engine that took a drink! Someone was driving through a flooded road to get home and a wave from a passing car splashed up above the headlights and the van quit. I'm not expecting to ever attempt to drive through 3ft of water in this thing anyway but that really sucks (pardon the pun) . I guess removing the lower portion of the air intake after the air cleaner box would be a good idea, its up on top of the front wheel well anyway. We're getting into storm season and even if I have to drive through some water in the city, it would be pretty crappy to kill an almost new engine. Any tips from the overlanders closer to the ground, Subie guys, anyone?

Attachments

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

The lift is very simple, a set of 4 coil spacers installed within the front and rear springs. There sitting in the garage right now collecting dust. I'm at a crossroads with them at the moment; right now with the new light bar installed, I clear my garage door by 1/4", with the lift I won't be able to drive in there to work on it. Will see how things go with the first few outings and decide from there.
You could mount the light on the bottom of the rack20180805_113420.jpeg

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
So, I learned a fun fact about my engine today. Apparently the airbox intake is only a foot or so above the ground, good thing is it wasn't my engine that took a drink! Someone was driving through a flooded road to get home and a wave from a passing car splashed up above the headlights and the van quit. I'm not expecting to ever attempt to drive through 3ft of water in this thing anyway but that really sucks (pardon the pun) . I guess removing the lower portion of the air intake after the air cleaner box would be a good idea, its up on top of the front wheel well anyway. We're getting into storm season and even if I have to drive through some water in the city, it would be pretty crappy to kill an almost new engine. Any tips from the overlanders closer to the ground, Subie guys, anyone?
It looks like your intake is the top left box? If possible I’d trace that tubing down to where it’s at near the ground and remove that entirely. From there for now you could mount a cone filter to one of the flanges or something? At least getting it away from low ground. You could get rid of the stock filter but keep the housing and yeah just clamp a filter to the air box housing.

Reactions: NC-Trooper

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

It looks like your intake is the top left box? If possible I’d trace that tubing down to where it’s at near the ground and remove that entirely. From there for now you could mount a cone filter to one of the flanges or something? At least getting it away from low ground. You could get rid of the stock filter but keep the housing and yeah just clamp a filter to the air box housing.
The lower part is coming off next time I do an oil change. Filter box will remain as there’s a new K&N filter in there.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Just placed my order for a Bearcat 880 CB & K30 magnetic mount antenna today. Should be here by the 17th. Anyone else using this unit?
I use a bearcat with a fire stick. It’s good on trail days but I wouldn’t trust it in an emergency

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

CB Install DONE, it almost fit into a storage bin in the dash, only minor cutting required. The antenna is my issue now, I have a tuned K-30 but I don't like its location. I was hoping to mount it to my rack but it's not actually grounded to the van through the factory rails & I'm not about to put a self tapping screw through the sheet metal for a ground strap. It is what it is right now, at least its up and working. Big trip in the plans now, stay tuned!

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Another new addition to the van. Keeps the bugs and rain out while allowing ventilation while sleeping in the back. A lot less weight than a RTT as well. One for each side for a cross breeze. Fingers crossed I can find the time this weekend to put in my spring spacers as well.

Attachments

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Another new addition to the van. Keeps the bugs and rain out while allowing ventilation while sleeping in the back. A lot less weight than a RTT as well..
Great idea! It probably takes a lot less time to put away than an RTT. Keep up the good work , this rig is very cool!

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

So, the lift didn’t go as planned today. I should have seen this coming but anyway it is what it is. So the springs on the van are obviously made for ride comfort and that means the springs coils aren’t all that wound close to each other. The 1” spacers gave me only about 1/4” if that of height meaning that the spacers slipped right into place. Back to the drawing board, anyone know of 2” spacers. The joys of modding a rig with no aftermarket support at all.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
So, the lift didn’t go as planned today. I should have seen this coming but anyway it is what it is. So the springs on the van are obviously made for ride comfort and that means the springs coils aren’t all that wound close to each other. The 1” spacers gave me only about 1/4” if that of height meaning that the spacers slipped right into place. Back to the drawing board, anyone know of 2” spacers. The joys of modding a rig with no aftermarket support at all.
Hey mate, sorry to hear about that. I know what you mean about no aftermarket support! I ended up getting my spacer lift from Russia. Had to do a bit of research but like my rig, your car may share similar strut mounts to other models? That is the one draw back sometimes about modding an American vehicle as to oppose something that’s sold in multiple countries.

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Hey mate, sorry to hear about that. I know what you mean about no aftermarket support! I ended up getting my spacer lift from Russia. Had to do a bit of research but like my rig, your car may share similar strut mounts to other models? That is the one draw back sometimes about modding an American vehicle as to oppose something that’s sold in multiple countries.
That’ll be the project over the cold slow winter months, combing through web page after web page comparing strut part numbers and specs. There has to be something out there...

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu