Not a fan of the new format

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Loving the new style. New posts are quick to find on my iPhone 8 running iOS12.0.1.

I really am getting used to it. Zero complaints.

Quick question though... I had a red flag thing with the number 15 in it, must have meant 15 new responses? I went into the top left menu on my phone, and some of those menu pages are blank??

James

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Not really. The purpose of my post was to express gratitude that I am able to go back to what’s familiar and comfortable. Since I primarily use an iPad to surf the forum I’m not too concerned about a more mobile friendly format and I find an iPhone 5 too small of a screen to learn a new format.
OK - cool! Thank you!

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Loving the new style. New posts are quick to find on my iPhone 8 running iOS12.0.1.

Quick question though... I had a red flag thing with the number 15 in it, must have meant 15 new responses? I went into the top left menu on my phone, and some of those menu pages are blank??

James
Hi James! Can you let me know which items are blank?

For clarity, the red flags on the menu are a combination of new private messages, and notifications. Once you check your notifications, the counter will go down to only new private messages.

Cheers!

M

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Michael

Hi Boort, thank you for the detailed responses. For the dropdown menus - I changed the dropdown response from 0ms to 100ms which provides a barely perceptible delay - which might help. On the "getting stuck down" I'm looking further into this. Thanks!
M
Your welcome. Let me know if the detail level becomes burdensome or if I should just pipe down. :D

The 100ms delay has resolved the errant popping up of the sub menus, though now it seems a bit slow maybe 50ms or 75ms would feel right. Not sure if I'm the only one seeing this. The menus getting stuck down still seems to happen.

Hey Steve - some adjustment:
  1. Reduced the size of the sidebar to 250px (same as default)
  2. Reduced "gutter" between elements (could reduce further or eliminate, but I like the separation. Also note - sidebar can be collapsed completely.
  3. Post time/hit/etc. OK noted.
  4. "more space" OK - I'll look at that and see if it can be tightened.
Liking the smaller side bar, and that the side bar seems to start in collapsed mode now.

Am seeing a new issue. Sometimes when I scroll down the "Post Depth" widget, My avatar w/ notification bubble and the search icon creep down out of the header. Not happening now but I'll see if I can get a screen shot next time I see it.

Would it be possible to alter the placement between the "Likes" and the OP's signature? Right now the Likes appear between the Post and Sig. It would be preferred to keep the Sig with the post for clarity. Maybe include the Report, Like & Reply in the same shaded area. Here is an example from your post above just reordering the boxes:
OB_LikeOverSig.png
Something like this:
OB_SigOverLike.png
Comparing the new format to the light "Default Style" (since I've never used toe old dark style) :
Sigs with images require expanding to see.
I actually think Steve's point here is a feature. There are some Sigs with large pics that while awesome once you enter a thread where that person posted a number of times it makes it easy to get lost in the thread when seeing the same large Sig over and over. The Click to expand feature makes threads much easier to read.

As I'm writing this I'm noticing that the Edit tool bat is scrolling off the top of the screen making it harder to change indent/text formatting in this post. Not sure if you can freeze that within the reply box like the main OB header but that would be a nice Usability add if the team can pull it off.

I also have some ideas for printable view (IE: a printable theme where you can specify # of posts to load, and an [X] to remove unwanted posts / Sigs etc... Makes taking some technical procedures that have been posted out to the shop MUCH easier.)

Boort

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael

Your welcome. Let me know if the detail level becomes burdensome or if I should just pipe down. :D

The 100ms delay has resolved the errant popping up of the sub menus, though now it seems a bit slow maybe 50ms or 75ms would feel right. Not sure if I'm the only one seeing this. The menus getting stuck down still seems to happen.

Liking the smaller side bar, and that the side bar seems to start in collapsed mode now.

Am seeing a new issue. Sometimes when I scroll down the "Post Depth" widget, My avatar w/ notification bubble and the search icon creep down out of the header. Not happening now but I'll see if I can get a screen shot next time I see it.

Would it be possible to alter the placement between the "Likes" and the OP's signature? Right now the Likes appear between the Post and Sig. It would be preferred to keep the Sig with the post for clarity. Maybe include the Report, Like & Reply in the same shaded area. Here is an example from your post above just reordering the boxes:
Something like this:

I actually think Steve's point here is a feature. There are some Sigs with large pics that while awesome once you enter a thread where that person posted a number of times it makes it easy to get lost in the thread when seeing the same large Sig over and over. The Click to expand feature makes threads much easier to read.

As I'm writing this I'm noticing that the Edit tool bat is scrolling off the top of the screen making it harder to change indent/text formatting in this post. Not sure if you can freeze that within the reply box like the main OB header but that would be a nice Usability add if the team can pull it off.

I also have some ideas for printable view (IE: a printable theme where you can specify # of posts to load, and an [X] to remove unwanted posts / Sigs etc... Makes taking some technical procedures that have been posted out to the shop MUCH easier.)

Boort
This is great! Will parse tomorrow.

Reactions: Boort

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

James
Had the same issue on Android 8 running Chrome notifications tab is blank on first enter hit the button again and notifications (new posts in watched threads) showed up. Could be an error.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Michael
@Michael
Happening again today. Grabbed a screen shot:
OB.png
Not happening on every view or even every thread. Running Firefox Quantum v62.0.3 (32 bit).

Boort

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK - so today I MOSTLY worked on the OLB Light Official format to address @Steve feedback - tightening and adding some info. THere are still a few things to do - I will migrate these changes to the OLB Dark Theme as well.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael

Something like this:

Boort
  1. Menu speed changed to 50ms
  2. "drop down stuck" appears to be a "feature". I'll see what I can do.
  3. Popping down of avatar - I noticed too - something to fix.
  4. FOr the like summary - i put it to the right - I think it helps. Also changed the background color.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

I’m a computer challenge guy but from what I could see there was an option to go back to the old school format @ the bottom of the page. Once I did that back to normal (original setup) no problem no worries. Just sayin.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I'm still on good old "Default Style" with the white background. Easy to read, and all the menu options are easy to find. If that style ever goes away, I'm done, as I can't read on a dark background with white text. Gives me a headache in just a few minutes.

View attachment 73051
I'm the opposite, I get more eye strain from the white background so I prefer the original dark background format. So glad there are options for backgrounds to choose from.

Reactions: MazeVX

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Michael
  1. Menu speed changed to 50ms
  2. "drop down stuck" appears to be a "feature". I'll see what I can do.
  3. Popping down of avatar - I noticed too - something to fix.
  4. FOr the like summary - i put it to the right - I think it helps. Also changed the background color.
1) 50ms seems to be a good balance. Menus now seem both responsive and are not so fast they get in the way if the mouse wonders up near the top row.
2) Interesting. I guess I could see it filed under accessibility or maybe for touchscreen use.
3) Good to hear you've recreated it. So far I've only seen it on one machine so I was thinking it might be something in that setup.
4) New position and darker background for the like summary does help reduce the interference with message continuity. Though I still think it belongs in the same line as the Report ... Like Reply and not between the message and OP's Signature. Though I understand that may not be an option based on how the objects are coded in the underlying system. Might be an upstream DCR/bug report.

When posting the pic of the avatar popping down. I tried editing the original message to insert the screenshot but ran into a glitch with the upload screen where it would not upload, or cancel, basically froze up. I had to cancel the message by closing the FF browser tab and post the message as a quoted reply.

Noticed that the Giant Reply button at bottom right is stepping on the chat function buttons and their tool tips and often the MORE OPTIONS... Button. Also seems like a lot of extra space at the bottom. Likely for banner ads that you've turned off?
OB_ReplyCollision.png OB_ReplyCollision2.png

I realize that these are all little things and thank you for putting in the effort to put the polish on the new theme. Overall the new theme is feeling much faster and after learning where things have moved just as intuitive.
Thank you for building and maintaining this tool for the OB community!

Boort

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Though I still think it belongs in the same line as the Report ... Like Reply and not between the message and OP's Signature.
I agree. It disrupts the post's flow to have the poster's comments, other people's response, and then the poster's signature.

I too noticed the giant floating reply button getting in the way of other information. Curious for the need of that button, when every post has a reply option, and the normal reply button at the bottom.

I'm curious why all of the user's details were added to the profile, when they are easily availably by simply clicking on the user's avatar. They take up a huge amount of height. Almost two posts to one compared to the default format.

2018-10-24_10-47-00.png

And again, I'll point out how much more readable the original serif typeface is compared to the new san serif. ;)

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Also, the forum descriptor does not appear in the forum listing.

2018-10-24_11-08-18.png

And on the default listing, if you hover the mouse over a sub-forum, it shows its descriptor, but not on the new format.