US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Short form is I like all of it. I've had them for about a year, no complaints. Other than not getting out as often as I'd like.
We're going to have to make sure to plan a trip for that works for people soon. I'd like to check it out! I'm getting close to a point of purchasing my new suspension system, and I'm having a hard time deciding on the UCAs. SPCs are on my short list.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Sounds good! I am hoping that she'll be back tonight, so I can use my tent. Where are we meeting tomorrow? I'm 99% sure I can go. Just need to make sure I finish up this one deliverable for work by tonight.
We're right next to Lowe's in Woodbridge we can meet at our place then head out if that works for you.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

......How bout 2 pm August 26th meet up @ Mission bbq in Lorton Va. If you are around, we can match faces to names, future plans and maybe discuss an trip before Overland Expo and RTT Rally.
By my count ...... we have the following so far for next Sunday, August 26th: @JRElaxED, @sabjku, @NovaBound, @DRJ, @geekyadam, @bill70387

JRElaxED created an event on the Event Calendar: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/mission-bbq-meet-up-rig-walk-around-2pm-august-26th-lorton-va-08-26-2018.18250/

Here is the Rally Point details to RSVP: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/mission-bbq-meet-up-rig-walk-around-2pm-august-26th-lorton-va/

Last edited:

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Didn't rain too bad, we had @DRJ's canopy if it started pouring. Just a light sprinkling, slept great! Fun little trail...few technical spots where you need to spot your line, but mostly just a good solid trail in the woods. Not many rocks compared to Big Levels, and pinstripes weren't too excessive IMO.

Reactions: 100RNR

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

How would you rate the trails?
Relatively easy, but like I said, few spots where it's good to have a spotter. Although I admit this run had much more washout than when I ran it in February. There's just a few creek crossings and similar that have some nice rock formations to crawl up/down. I'm running a stock 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport and I did touch down on the frame a couple times. However I would stress that most of that was likely because I wasn't focusing as hard as I could on my line, because I was trying to work on my manual transmission two-footing, which SUCKED. @DRJ would probably attest to that. He was running stock TRD Off-Road suspension and his hitch D-ring touched down a couple times too, but nothing really bad for either of us.

IMO it's one of my favorite nearby places to take a stock rig, but still have a few challenges that are great opportunities to get better at individual technical spots before taking on a more rigorous technical trail elsewhere. I think Flagpole Knob is still my favorite, because it has so much to offer, and I admit that Canaan Loop is relatively short compared to Flagpole. Still a great trail for offroading and camping, which is what overlanding is to me.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Relatively easy, but like I said, few spots where it's good to have a spotter. Although I admit this run had much more washout than when I ran it in February. There's just a few creek crossings and similar that have some nice rock formations to crawl up/down. I'm running a stock 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport and I did touch down on the frame a couple times. However I would stress that most of that was likely because I wasn't focusing as hard as I could on my line, because I was trying to work on my manual transmission two-footing, which SUCKED. @DRJ would probably attest to that. He was running stock TRD Off-Road suspension and his hitch D-ring touched down a couple times too, but nothing really bad for either of us.

IMO it's one of my favorite nearby places to take a stock rig, but still have a few challenges that are great opportunities to get better at individual technical spots before taking on a more rigorous technical trail elsewhere. I think Flagpole Knob is still my favorite, because it has so much to offer, and I admit that Canaan Loop is relatively short compared to Flagpole. Still a great trail for offroading and camping, which is what overlanding is to me.
Awesome, thanks!

Reactions: geekyadam

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

How would you rate the trails?
My take on that loop is that it is definitely solo-able. I know my limits and won’t go wheeling solo where I don’t know the trail or there is chance for recovery situation. This is a trail that I would definitely feel comfortable going solo. I’m on a Tundra with 35’s and 3” so my ride was a lot smoother than the Tacoma’s but even on a stick Taco I’d say it solo worthy and like 2 small sections needed careful maneuvering.

It was also pretty short, like 1.5 hr wheeling, but plenty fun IMO. And yeah, it’s tight enough to guarantee pin stripes but a full size like mine can traverse without any concern for body damage of tight turns.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Agreed. Some places requires a good spotters when running on stock vehicles. The difficulty goes up when it’s wet, but like @geekyadam mentioned, it’s doable in a stock 4x4. There are some YouTube videos on it; also referred to as blackwater falls trail.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Agreed. Some places requires a good spotters when running on stock vehicles. The difficulty goes up when it’s wet, but like @geekyadam mentioned, it’s doable in a stock 4x4. There are some YouTube videos on it; also referred to as blackwater falls trail.
Thanks guys! Sounds awesome, but not sure I’m ready for that yet. I’m still a noob and a stock T4R Trail.

Reactions: sabjku

ROWDY

Rank 0

Traveler I

DC
Hi guys, I just joined the forum and I'm looking forward to connecting with other members in the area. Thanks for organizing this!