Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Question ... although I’ve been around VA one area I’ve never been is Potts mountain curious how wide the trail is ? Wanted to take H2 but didn’t want to find a trail to small

Thanks

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

I haven't been all the way but from what I have heard she might be a little wide in the hips. It's been awhile but it got a little tight on a JKU.

stebbc1138

Rank III

Contributor III

Royal Oak, Maryland, United States
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Stebbins
Member #

I am fairly new to the “Overland” world, but I am planning to do a cross country trip in three years. I’m hoping to give my family and I a little break in period with some group rides or nice beginner trails. We live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, but find ourselves on the other side of the state often . . . Pa. & Va. as well. I figured I’d reach out to this group, and see if we might be able to fit in. Any help is appreciated.

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
So I got my new RTT just after Christmas. I imported direct from China an iKamper mini knock-off. From my research, iKamper is made in South Korea and there are several companies selling iKamper clones that are made in China (Torro and Tuff Stuff probably being the best known)...I really like the iKamper side opening clamshell design and I wanted a hard shell RTT to replace my softshell SmittyBilt but I didn't like the $3000 price tags and so started looking for alternatives and I found Alibaba.com...I originally thought I was going to be able to get it for around $1500 but there were some hidden shipping and warehouse fees and I learned a few lessons...I ended up being right at $2000 and that included the cost of a customs broker. I probably could have shaved a few dollars working with the broker from the start, but they were an afterthought to help file some of the customs forms and they said they probably could have saved me some money with shipping. The tent in my opinion is great. It was packaged well and survived the ocean transit unscathed and was handled will once it got to the US. It has a nice steel frame on the underside, mounted to my rack easily and came with very beefy brackets for crossbars if you would need them. I don't remember ordering the gray color (thought I went brown) but it is fine. It came with an awning that integrates with the entrance to the tent but I haven't tried installing it yet. I think it was a fun experience and if you are a DIY person like me, it may be worth messing around with if you find yourself in the market for a new RTT...also, almost ALL RTTs are made in China, so no matter what style you are looking for, it is for sale on Alibaba.com...I think the only USA made RTTs are Roosttents but they only offer the wedge style hard shells.

Attachments

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
So I got my new RTT just after Christmas. I imported direct from China an iKamper mini knock-off. From my research, iKamper is made in South Korea and there are several companies selling iKamper clones that are made in China (Torro and Tuff Stuff probably being the best known)...I really like the iKamper side opening clamshell design and I wanted a hard shell RTT to replace my softshell SmittyBilt but I didn't like the $3000 price tags and so started looking for alternatives and I found Alibaba.com...I originally thought I was going to be able to get it for around $1500 but there were some hidden shipping and warehouse fees and I learned a few lessons...I ended up being right at $2000 and that included the cost of a customs broker. I probably could have shaved a few dollars working with the broker from the start, but they were an afterthought to help file some of the customs forms and they said they probably could have saved me some money with shipping. The tent in my opinion is great. It was packaged well and survived the ocean transit unscathed and was handled will once it got to the US. It has a nice steel frame on the underside, mounted to my rack easily and came with very beefy brackets for crossbars if you would need them. I don't remember ordering the gray color (thought I went brown) but it is fine. It came with an awning that integrates with the entrance to the tent but I haven't tried installing it yet. I think it was a fun experience and if you are a DIY person like me, it may be worth messing around with if you find yourself in the market for a new RTT...also, almost ALL RTTs are made in China, so no matter what style you are looking for, it is for sale on Alibaba.com...I think the only USA made RTTs are Roosttents but they only offer the wedge style hard shells.
I sold some of these back in 2011-12 before the whole Overlanding became a thing. At the time I think I bought 4 soft tents and 4 of the clamshell ones. I never had any issues with any of them at the time with no angry customers. a good broker is key too

Last edited:
Reactions: cgflyer

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I sold some of these back in 2011-12 before the whole Overlanding became a thing. At the time I think I bought 4 soft tents and 4 of the clamshell ones. I never had any issues with any of them at the time with no angry customers. a good broker is key too
I originally was thinking about buying some more once I got this one and could account for the quality, but the I spoke to a woman at the warehouse I picked it up from that also owns her own importing business and she said the cost of a 20 ft container has skyrocketed since covid. My research said a 20 ft container used to cost about $2000 to ship full (or empty) but is up to about $6000 now. A 40 ft container costs about $7000-$8000. First, I don't have the liquid cash to pay to fill a 20 ft container, but the $6000 cost adds quite a bit to the total imported cost per unit that I don't think I will be importing RTTs to sell anytime soon. But I know most of the venders haven't been able to keep inventory in stock all summer because of high demand. It's just a shame that we all have to buy from China for these.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I originally was thinking about buying some more once I got this one and could account for the quality, but the I spoke to a woman at the warehouse I picked it up from that also owns her own importing business and she said the cost of a 20 ft container has skyrocketed since covid. My research said a 20 ft container used to cost about $2000 to ship full (or empty) but is up to about $6000 now. A 40 ft container costs about $7000-$8000. First, I don't have the liquid cash to pay to fill a 20 ft container, but the $6000 cost adds quite a bit to the total imported cost per unit that I don't think I will be importing RTTs to sell anytime soon. But I know most of the venders haven't been able to keep inventory in stock all summer because of high demand. It's just a shame that we all have to buy from China for these.
It's not worth it anymore, pls you then need to sell, China isn't the best name right now even though as you said most of the tents come from them with a rebranded sticker , I know I had my old company branded on tents

Hapa

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Arlington, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rottler
Member #

Hi all, new to the community. I’m Chris and live in Arlington. Hope to engage and possibly meet up soon! I’m new to overlanding but have been an avid backpacker and camper all my life. I’m building out my ‘19 Ram Rebel at the moment.

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Hi all, new to the community. I’m Chris and live in Arlington. Hope to engage and possibly meet up soon! I’m new to overlanding but have been an avid backpacker and camper all my life. I’m building out my ‘19 Ram Rebel at the moment.
I'm in Lorton, been pretty busy the last couple of months and home improvement is eating up my weekends, but I'm technically a Region Rep on here for MD...I will likely try to plan some meet ups in the summer. Retiring from the Coast Guard and going to do the Trans American Trail (TAT) for two months starting the end of next month...once I am back and settled into the new job, I hope to be more active. Unfortunately for local meet ups and stuff, this forum hasn't been too active. It would be nice to change it but it will take some work. There is an ongoing meetup in MD (see a post or two above yours) and there are a couple of other groups that are pretty active. You can look for MORE (Maryland Off-road Enthusiasts) on Facebook as well as Overland Bound East on Facebook too. Peter's Mill Run is a pretty cool and fun trail that is about 2 hours from us. You need to purchase a pass at a local gas station and they are probably just about ready to reopen for the season. There is a place called the watershed in Frederick, MD that I hear a lot of guys in MORE talk about, but I have never been. I actually grew up in Hagerstown, MD right next door to Frederick and never heard of it until recently, but there are groups there every weekend. Lots of other places within 3-4 hrs from us. Welcome to the fourm!

Reactions: Hapa

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Anything going soon? I just got my new Gladiator Diesel about 10 days ago and need to take it out
View attachment 187354
I'm in Lorton, been pretty busy the last couple of months and home improvement is eating up my weekends, but I'm technically a Region Rep on here for MD...I will likely try to plan some meet ups in the summer. Retiring from the Coast Guard and going to do the Trans American Trail (TAT) for two months starting the end of next month...once I am back and settled into the new job, I hope to be more active. Unfortunately for local meet ups and stuff, this forum hasn't been too active. It would be nice to change it but it will take some work. There is an ongoing meetup in MD (see a post or two above yours) and there are a couple of other groups that are pretty active. You can look for MORE (Maryland Off-road Enthusiasts) on Facebook as well as Overland Bound East on Facebook too. Peter's Mill Run is a pretty cool and fun trail that is about 2 hours from us. You need to purchase a pass at a local gas station and they are probably just about ready to reopen for the season. There is a place called the watershed in Frederick, MD that I hear a lot of guys in MORE talk about, but I have never been. I actually grew up in Hagerstown, MD right next door to Frederick and never heard of it until recently, but there are groups there every weekend. Lots of other places within 3-4 hrs from us. Welcome to the fourm and hope to see you with a badge number soon!

Reactions: AjumMac