US East Northern New England - Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York?

• HTML tutorial

m4ttr33d

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Hi everyone! It's that time of year again, trip planning time. Due to work and school circumstances, my girlfriend and I try to take our big yearly trip in August every year, and after South Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado last year, we're itching to get our final plan together for this year's trip to Northern New England. The trip route thus far is as follows:
Scranton, Pennsylvania to Acadia National Park, Maine
Acadia National Park for 2 days
Acadia to Millinocket, Baxter, Mt. Katahdin
Millinocket, Maine to Jericho State Park and Mount Washington, New Hampshire via Greenville, ME
Mount Washington, NH to Burlington, Vermont via Greensboro, Vermont
Burlington, Vermont to Lake Placid, New York
Lake Placid to St. Regis
St. Regis to Scranton, Pennsylvania.

While we have some of the big things mapped out, really we're looking for some recommendations on hikes, camp sites, and things to do on the way. We have the Mount Washington drive and Whiteface drive, but other than that we're looking for things to do! Let us know what you all have done or link threads that I can look through in my excitement. Thank you!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Seize the deal has car passes for a family of 4 for MT Washington for half price ($40). There is a decent app you can download and listen to as you head up the mountain.

If you can't/don't have a camping site at Acadia yet try Hip Camp or Lamoine State Park. The state park is about 30 minute drive away from Acadia, was clean when we used it a few years ago.

Check out the trains and B-52 up by Millinocket and Greenville. NMW has free camping sites but you will need a pass. Passes can be purchased at the checkpoints but you need cash or check.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I don't know what way you are mapping out up to Maine but last year when I went to visit my parents up there I took a route through Vermont and stayed in a wonderful area my first night

1658840737084.png

Coordinates

42.95344, -72.99013

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

m4ttr33d

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations! I will check those out and document the trip as we keep moving. Thank you again!

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I don't know what way you are mapping out up to Maine but last year when I went to visit my parents up there I took a route through Vermont and stayed in a wonderful area my first night

View attachment 236404
Just curious about the dispersed camping options in that part of VT. My wife and I are planning to head up there next week and we're looking for options off Rt. 71. I have a few sites plotted from iOverlander but I'm wondering about the availability of firewood and where to find running water, specifically. That site you posted is one of the ones I've had recommended to me as well, but other than Rt. 71, are there any other roads where good campsites can be found? I'm worried about driving all the way up there and being shut out.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN

View attachment 236404
Just curious about the dispersed camping options in that part of VT. My wife and I are planning to head up there next week and we're looking for options off Rt. 71. I have a few sites plotted from iOverlander but I'm wondering about the availability of firewood and where to find running water, specifically. That site you posted is one of the ones I've had recommended to me as well, but other than Rt. 71, are there any other roads where good campsites can be found? I'm worried about driving all the way up there and being shut out.
I traveled late oct and everything was open