Noob here

• HTML tutorial
Total noob here. From orange county california. Got myself a stocked out 2010 fj last October. And I've been really interested in overland style camping since. Nothing too extreme yet. But more like rtt set up at the usual sites. I go camping 2 -3 times a year and I'm so over floor camping and setting up. Just swooped up a Smittybilt xl. I got a 4 and 6 year old so I can't do legit overland at random spots yet. Not until I am ready and more capable of emergency situations. Now that I have the rtt. I've been really interested in getting an old military trailer and building it out. Nothing too crazy since I don't weld. But more of a poor man build with strut and plywood. I don't know enough about cars or trailers to know if I'm buying junk. And what it is capable of weight Wise and stability if I were to build. Not looking for it to roll over with my rig and family in it. Any suggestions. Like Maybe stay away, don't do it, Lol. I'm semi handy. I do electrical construction so I am capable of building stuff that will be sturdy. I may try and learn how to weld. I posted a picture of the fj stock the day I bought it. And a current picture after I hit big bear in the snow when I almost died. Thanks in advance

Attachments

Reactions: Narbob
Check out Dinoot trailer online. I’m looking at their M-Style trailers. Basic and budget oriented. You can start with a Harbor Freight trailer and then mod from there.
Are those harbor freight trailers enough? I know nothing about axles and what handles best. Those little harbor freight ones also don't look heavy enough to handle the roof top tent. Mine hang
over so the overhang might flip the trailer? And thanks for the info. That site has lots of cool stuff. Didn't know people sold tubs.

JKScofield

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

17812 Regentview Ave. Bellflower, Ca 90706
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Scofield
Member #

The ‘Mod from there’ part covers most of your concerns. They have tons of options. If you’re looking to go big out the gate, this is not the way to go, but if you’re like me and running on a bit of a budget... starting with a $200(ish) trailer that will hold a 1000 plus pounds... Check them out, tons of information!!

The ‘Mod from there’ part covers most of your concerns. They have tons of options. If you’re looking to go big out the gate, this is not the way to go, but if you’re like me and running on a bit of a budget... starting with a $200(ish) trailer that will hold a 1000 plus pounds... Check them out, tons of information!!
Yes. Definitely on a budget. That's why I was going to use strut and plywood. Do you have a picture of your build amd which parts you ended up with? That military trailer I posted is listed for 750 near me. I found a few trailers before for about 300 but they looked too small. But we're rated 1000 lbs. Didn't think it was enough. But now I know.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Welcome to Overland Bound!
I look forward to seeing your rig and trailer build.

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.

Overland Bound Meetups

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-trip-

Here’s a great meetup for you to check out.
Reoccurring - Orange County Overland Bound Monthly Meet-up - 12/01/2018

If you have any questions message your Regional Director, @Narbob, or Representative they are there to help.

Overland Bound Regions!

Reactions: Cowboy 16-0
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Definitely going to hit up some meets when I find time. Working too much lately. I know they have meets In Laguna at some cafe spot. A few local guys from my son's school have been wanting to start up local meets In fountain Valley.

Reactions: Narbob