Nissan Frontier PRO-4x Build

• HTML tutorial

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Tires. Get new tires. The BFGs that came with your year (looks like a 2014, before they swapped the BFGs for the Dynapros) are not good. A set of good all-terrain tires in either the 265/75/16 OEM size, or 285/75/16 (one size up) will take you many places.

Also, look at removing the OEM plastic mud flaps. If you don't, the first pseudo-technical trail you tackle will remove them for you.

After that, sliders and a small lift. There are many slider options for our trucks, and they are worth their weight in gold in protecting your rocker panels, especially in considering how low (relatively) our panels are.

As for the lift, I've always had good luck with Old Man Emu products. They're simple, reliable, and good performing. PRG and Nisstec offer several other lift options.
Excellent. My tires are on their way out anyway so I was planning an upgrade. I was just hoping to make it through winter first. I haven't started the lift research yet, but I will keep those brands in mind when the time comes! Thanks!

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Excellent. My tires are on their way out anyway so I was planning an upgrade. I was just hoping to make it through winter first. I haven't started the lift research yet, but I will keep those brands in mind when the time comes! Thanks!
No problem, here to help. No better time to upgrade tires than right BEFORE winter :grin:. You'll be able to get out and enjoy the snowy back roads and trails!

For what it's worth, I've had both Goodyear Duratracs (previously) and BFG KO2s (current tires) on my Xterra. I highly recommend both tires.

Reactions: Remington_PRO4X

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

[/QUOTE]Any major performance upgrades you recommend?[/QUOTE]
You can have the dealership do a 2* timing advance with the factory scan tool. Should cost whatever they charge for half hour of labor, somewhere around 65 to 75 dollars. Noticeable difference, it moves the power band a Lil lower in the RPMs.

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Any major performance upgrades you recommend?[/QUOTE]
You can have the dealership do a 2* timing advance with the factory scan tool. Should cost whatever they charge for half hour of labor, somewhere around 65 to 75 dollars. Noticeable difference, it moves the power band a Lil lower in the RPMs.[/QUOTE]

Did you have this done? Does it kill that lul between 35 and 45 mph?

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

Any major performance upgrades you recommend?
You can have the dealership do a 2* timing advance with the factory scan tool. Should cost whatever they charge for half hour of labor, somewhere around 65 to 75 dollars. Noticeable difference, it moves the power band a Lil lower in the RPMs.[/QUOTE]

Did you have this done? Does it kill that lul between 35 and 45 mph?[/QUOTE]
I did it when I worked for Nissan, it is a bit more torque'y in the low end. It adjust the ignition timing to fire 2* sooner. Explain lul a better, I'm not following what you are explaining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using OB Talk mobile app

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

When I have a the Overdrive on there is a bit of a loss of power in the powerband from 35-45 mph especially going up hills. Nothing serious, just a bit of an annoyance.

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

It sounds like maybe trans is shifting to next gear with light pedal pressure. Low rpms is better for mpg. Not anything wrong with it. I'll be honest, I leave my O/D off unless I'm on the highway, Anything below 55.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using OB Talk mobile app

DMil

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix
Member #

Congrats on the new Frontier! I'm a pseudo-experienced Xterra owner (basically a Frontier without the truck bed), so let me know if you have any questions.

The SMOD issue was remedied in 2011, so you won't have any issues with that. Don't worry about having to replace you factory radiator.
Hi Frontier crew.

I am a new member to Overland Bound and jumped right to the conversation about the Frontier Pro 4X. My truck is a 2013 with 75k miles. I have made some changes to get into the backcountry a little deeper. 33" AT tires (kept the stock 16" wheels), 3.5" lift, new shocks front and back, add-a-leaf in the back, camper shell with homemade drawer slides and Dometic refrigerator in the bed.

Here is my problem/question: I have had two experiences when I have been stuck in places that I should not have been stuck. It is as if there is no power being transferred to the drive wheels. I can push the accelerator to the floor and RPM's only go to about 2300 and there is no feeling of drive or pull from the wheels. The dealer says everything is working normally. 4x4 seems to be fine most of the time....except when I experience this loss of drive and power.

Any ideas? Thanks for sharing your experience.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Welcome! I also have a Frontier Pro-4X. As already mentioned, Coil bucket contact will be an issue at anything over 2" of lift. Also, keep in mind that spacer lifts do NOT add any wheel travel. That was the main reason I went with a Titan swap on my front suspension. I'm running the Nisstec AAL with the overload spring left in. it has worked for me.

Here is how mine sits right now.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Hi Frontier crew.

I am a new member to Overland Bound and jumped right to the conversation about the Frontier Pro 4X. My truck is a 2013 with 75k miles. I have made some changes to get into the backcountry a little deeper. 33" AT tires (kept the stock 16" wheels), 3.5" lift, new shocks front and back, add-a-leaf in the back, camper shell with homemade drawer slides and Dometic refrigerator in the bed.

Here is my problem/question: I have had two experiences when I have been stuck in places that I should not have been stuck. It is as if there is no power being transferred to the drive wheels. I can push the accelerator to the floor and RPM's only go to about 2300 and there is no feeling of drive or pull from the wheels. The dealer says everything is working normally. 4x4 seems to be fine most of the time....except when I experience this loss of drive and power.

You need to turn the VDC off. There is a button on the lower center of the dash for this. Info on it is in your owner's manual.

sil80s13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi Frontier crew.

Is traction control on?

DMil

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix
Member #

Yes, it think the traction control, VDC, was the problem. Its default setting is on and the switch on the dash console turns it off. It is designed to reduce power to the wheels and explains why I was getting stuck so easily in soft sand. I turn it off and have not had the problem again.

Reactions: sil80s13

CKKurtz

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

State College PA
Member #

Hi guys - I'm a long time Nissan/Datsun truck guy. I'm new to these OB forums though, and I just found this Nissan Frontier thread. I've got a 2014 Frontier Pro4x - Pretty much set-up for overloading and general outdoor recreation. I'm running the OME suspension, with Schrockworks skid plates and F & R bumpers. Running Evo Corse wheels and stock sized KO2's. ARB lighting, a Leer cap with rack, and depending on the activities, I have a road shower, an awning, an OzTent, camp kitchen, camp toilet, Nemo show room thing, etc etc. It's good fun. Are any of you Nissan guys in the eastern USA? I'm in PA - Trying to get more Nissan guys to show up at the Mid-Atlantic Overland Fest...

sil80s13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi guys - I'm a long time Nissan/Datsun truck guy. I'm new to these OB forums though, and I just found this Nissan Frontier thread. I've got a 2014 Frontier Pro4x - Pretty much set-up for overloading and general outdoor recreation. I'm running the OME suspension, with Schrockworks skid plates and F & R bumpers. Running Evo Corse wheels and stock sized KO2's. ARB lighting, a Leer cap with rack, and depending on the activities, I have a road shower, an awning, an OzTent, camp kitchen, camp toilet, Nemo show room thing, etc etc. It's good fun. Are any of you Nissan guys in the eastern USA? I'm in PA - Trying to get more Nissan guys to show up at the Mid-Atlantic Overland Fest...

Join the FB group F.O.R.C.E frontier off road club of the east.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/force4x4/