Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Launceston Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Theisel
Member #

So it's been a while since I've been active on here (mainly just reading) and I've changed vehicles, jobs, women and houses since I've joined, plus I've gone from actual 4x4ing to now more cruising trails for camping or exploring.

One thing I have continued to do is (learning to) film my travels. I bought the Nikon a while back and have dabbled with it. For the most part it's been interesting to use.

The video footage is good fun and of fairly decent quality but the photos are extremely disappointing. I pretty much don't even bother with photos on it as my phone takes better photos and my little drone is amazing for 360 photos.

One thing I've notice that's a big drawback is, if the sun is at a certain low angle there is a distinct change in colouration and saturation at the switching point from front camera to rear. There isn't a real work around it.

I've used it on several trips and one of the better trips, I was disappointed with the footage as I set it to 1080 instead of 4K and it might as well be set too 240. Very grainy and useless for big screen viewing. The reason I changed the quality was due to trying to keep memory down and battery life at a maximum. I have since bought several batteries and an extra memory card. I haven't used it in 6months as I haven't done anything worth filming unfortunately.

It's user friendly so long as you use the app for it. Without the app, it's frustrating to use and almost useless as you don't know what it's doing half the time. Setup is easy (with the app) and connecting it to the app... Could be easier.

So to sum up, it's a great little gadget that can add an extra dimension to your trip and might be worth considering if you enjoy documenting your travels - but buy a lot of spare batteries if your trip is a day long.

Would I buy it again? No.

A couple of examples videos are in the link if you're curious to see.

Thanks for reading.