Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Grubworm, I'm confused. Are you defending this guy MOAK?
Or whatever his name is?

Dude, he's a troll..
I’m not a troll. I’m just an old school overlander that’s been doing this thing most of my life. Public land access in the US is being closed down at a rapid rate. We have but a few organizations that are attempting to slow down the pace of closures. Closures happen because of a handful of uneducated fools that think they can just drive anywhere they choose. I am of the personal belief that if those bad actors/fools had the proverbial book thrown at them for breaking the law, and it were made a CB public example, it would help to stem the closures. A few decades ago trails were being closed down in Pa at a rapid rate. Why? Because the locals were using the areas as dumps. I sat in on a couple of meetings and suggested enforcement. After a few years, the county decided enough was enough. Using simple forensics the authorities were able to find the dumpers. Fines, restitution and a bit of jail time were imposed. It was made very public in the Harrisburg and other smaller newspapers in the mid-state. There were others that were convicted and fined after that. You know what? The dumping of household goods no longer happens here in Pa. You think I’m an authoritarian Marxist because I want to see the laws enforced so that the next generations can continue to enjoy traversing in the back country? You’ve no idea what a Marxist is.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I’m sure glad you aren’t king! So, beyond being idiots, what you propose is to punish them BEYOND the limits of the law. Fortunately, we don’t live in that kind of country. The article clearly states they were cited and will be fined, indicating some very large unknown amount. You want to place them in a stockade too? If you aren’t happy with the outcome, how about contacting your representatives and telling them the fines and punishment are not high enough. Otherwise, as you indicate it would certainly be good to demonstrate to others that this type of behavior is not acceptable. However, I think this article does that. Besides, there will always be people breaking the law. Have you seen what’s been going on in the country lately? People are getting away with burning down buildings with little to no punishment (recent riots). So, for driving in some mud you want to lock them up and throw away the key? Yeah, that seems fair.
Uh,.............yeah we do. What country you living in? We're arresting people for having a political opinion.

We're doing far worse than locking up people for turfing a state park.

Reactions: Marauder_e889c1

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow.
I guess this is what you get on the internet. Clueless people commenting. I know, everyone has a right to opinion.

The issue with what the guys did in the first post is that it causes a ripple effect. Look up broken window syndrome.
Is this real? YES it is. But only people who have been involved in trying to combat these issues appear to understand. Others don't see any real problem.
Then again, most people don't care that they will never see some cool places because of this. They jumped on the "overlanding" band wagon and think they know all and will head off to the next fad.

I will bet in this entire forum community only one or two people have driven to Panamint City, Driven to the mine at the end of stone canyon, driven to the top of the Cinder Cone chain.
The list goes on with the areas in my state that people will never see.

Sitting in a hearing, looking at pictures of that "one guy" who drove off the trail and that being used as an example of how "ALL" off roaders act. One tends to get a bit sensitive. The stupid things I have seen people do is a bit overwhelming.

I helped maintain a Black Diamond trail up in my local mountains for 20 years. Some of you may have driven it. Its called Holcomb Creek trail. Every year, it was close to being closed. Every year we had to fight to keep it. Every year someone came up with photographs of something minor and tried to use that as evidence that the route needed to be closed.
Then we were being bashed on forums because it was too hard. Its a BLACK DIAMOND trail, it's suppose to be hard and we had to keep it just so because of its designation. Clubs would bash us on the forums then go out and make the route easier.
Next thing we know, the trail will be closed if we didn't fix it back.

What's my opinion on what should happen to those guys in the first post? Way worse than @MOAK stated. How can I be so mean? Because I actually care about this stuff. That's why.
As I stated above, unless you have been there defending our trails, don't comment about what we think should happen.

Reactions: MOAK

DocAldo

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Not use to this app, but I'm still trying to figure it out. Regardless, he is a troll saying crap like that for reactions only. Your response was on time..

DocAldo

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Went back and looked. It was the tundra dude who comment I was referring to.

Sorry for the troll comment. I know that it was aimed at MOAK, not you. Sorry Doug

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Uh,.............yeah we do. What country you living in? We're arresting people for having a political opinion.

We're doing far worse than locking up people for turfing a state park.
Nothing new, people have been being arrested for social opinions for certainly my entire life and probably for the past 250 years. We could debate the difference between social and political, but it’s all about social issues, then, the politicians latch onto what they think will be the winning side making it political.

Reactions: MidOH

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Locking the thread.

Ok this is dumb, calling a long time member with tons of posts, not trolling, but posts a troll? Maybe a little investigation would be in order.....

As for the idiots, I say forfeit everything on the spot and a fine, why because they are EXACTLY what the government is using against us to close trails and ban us for our public lands. Moad just lost 3 trails and more are being "Discussed". Also look up the new catagory of company class the SEC is approving, it is a NAC which in a nut shell will allow rich people and companies to buy our resources and oh IDK, stop mining or driving or walking in say our deserts or forests. THIS IS NASTY........

So again we are helping to close our lands!

By the way anyone who things oh well the idiots didnt do to much, really need to take a tread lightly class and the volunteer to work at some of our lands repairing damage! In fact we have groups doing it all the time........

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.